The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Natural, non natural and home made fly spray sucks

I am so fed up with bugs. Nothing works. My poor mare Kit's neck is just covered in bug bites. I have made the secret fly spray and that doesn't work for crap. I've used the natural fly spray that doesn't work. I just made up some repel x and that isn't working. Right now the only thing that I don't have that I think works is the Pirahna bug spray. I will be going to the store to buy that asap.

I'm so sick of this...sorry, I needed to b*tch
    Last edited by Cashela; Jul. 30, 2009 at 11:51 AM.
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

Default Hay

Desperate people need desperate measures...use Tri-Tec! And then put Swat on the mid lines and belly buttons and um, where their balls use to be.
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

How about trying a fly sheet/neck cover?
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Depends on what you are trying to repel.

I used to work for the company that made Black Flag bug sprays and the entomologists there told me pretty much nothing works on greenheads, deer flies and black flies - they are more sight oriented than scent. The only thing you can do for them is use a physical barrier (netting and the like) and wait their season out.

We've had a little success with the fly traps, but it is limited

I have had good luck with the Pirannah aerosol and Deep Woods Off.

I'm trying to figure out what is getting her. The other two have some bug bites on them but neither are as bad as Kit. It's a toss up whether it is mosquito's, deer flies or those damn midge things that seem to get me every time I go outside. I'm betting it's either the mosquito's or the midge things.

They all have fly masks on I have a fly sheet for Kit but it has been so hot and it doesn't have a neck piece. I'd hate to cover her up so much in the heat, yet I feel awful for her.

We have tons of bats and dragon flies around, I was hoping they would help out a little too.

I wish I had the money to install one of those fly systems. The barn I work at has one and there isn't a single bug in the barn.

It might simply be that she is more sensitive to them than the others. I know when I get bit by a mosquito I end up with a huge itchy welt. When Mr. T&L gets bit he gets nothing.

If you think it is the mosquitoes then I say try to find some cheap off brand of Deep Woods Off. It works great.

I swear to God the ONLY reason I spray anything on them at all is so I feel that I am being a good horse owner and doing something for their misery. Not because it works. Not because I see them happier. Not because I see any less flies on them, but for purely selfish reasons - because it makes me feel that I am looking after them as best I can ...

I know ... pathetic ...

I cant use fly sheets as the babies couldnt nurse too well and with them leaping up against Mom, I'd be afraid of them possibly getting caught up in any straps

The OFF human spray does work, but at $7.00 for a teeny tiny can, I'd be spending about $15.00 - $20.00 a day in fly spray which isnt going to be happening any time soon ...

Can you just imagine the untold wealth if ANY of us could come up with a concoction that actually WORKED??!

About this time of year Off goes on clearance at places like Target. They mark it way down and stick it on an end cap in some strange place in the store. I snag as many cans as I can find so I can have it for the next years bug season.

I agree, not on sale it is crazy expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Cashela View Post
    I'm trying to figure out what is getting her. The other two have some bug bites on them but neither are as bad as Kit. It's a toss up whether it is mosquito's, deer flies or those damn midge things that seem to get me every time I go outside. I'm betting it's either the mosquito's or the midge things.

They all have fly masks on I have a fly sheet for Kit but it has been so hot and it doesn't have a neck piece. I'd hate to cover her up so much in the heat, yet I feel awful for her.

We have tons of bats and dragon flies around, I was hoping they would help out a little too.

I wish I had the money to install one of those fly systems. The barn I work at has one and there isn't a single bug in the barn.

When I lived in New Hampshire I hated the bugs too. I empathize with you. You have bats??? You are lucky. All of ours died in the die-off this spring. We are leaning heavily on the barn swallows this year for insect control. TriTech and Swat are the answer. Every day. There isn't a natural fly spray that kills ticks, and we are loaded with them. I buy TriTech by the gallon.

Get some chickens! I only have 4, at the most I've had was 6, but I have almost no flies or spiders in the barn at all. Of course I also have 8 pair of Swallows nesting in there and they pick off everything up high. Chickens pick off everything low. It works great! And its all natural with no chemicals.

My horses can come and go in the barn as they please and they hang out in the barn all day, then go out in the pastures overnight - their choice. I haven't seen any bug bites this year, and the horses have been really happy.

We get flocks of those cowbirds, and they follow the horses around and pick bugs, so that helps too. We also have bats, which is awesome.

In short, do everything you can to encourage birds to take up residence on your property! We have feeders out, filled year round, and a bird bath. Last year I put up nesting boxes and houses too so this year we have more birds than ever. I want to put up bat houses but haven't gotten to it yet.

The only thing that works here is to turn out overnight and have fans going in the barn during the heat of the day. The horses plant themselves in the wind from the fans, and the bugs can't fly in to bite them. We have swallows and bats too - but I hate the doodoo on the tractor.

Yes we have bats, as a matter of fact some have taken up residence in the crawl space upstairs I have to find someone to relocate them when I have some money saved up.

I have one chicken that I got when I got two pet turkeys this year (who by the way do not eat bugs) The chicken is decrepit and living in the garage right now. She loves to eat bugs, just doesn't move very well. I have to get her a friend any how to help keep her warm in the winter I suppose...

The horses can come and go as they please, we do not have pasture and are close to the woods. If I didn't like the trees so much I'd cut them down to create less place for the damn bugs!

LOL I'd put fans out there if I had electricity in the shed row. The town frowned upon me when I ran an extension cord out there to run a fan once and rightly so it's not the safest thing. If my horses were locked in I would not have used it.

Thankfully all of our swallow nests are situated where the poop doesn't matter. It falls into the stalls, which are vacated in the summer. I just spread some barn lime and a little straw under their nesting sites, and its easy to pick it up every couple weeks with the manure fork, then put down a little new bedding under them. To me, its completely worth it.

I suppose if they had a nest above something valuable (tack, tractor, hay), I'd have to get more creative. It just worked out great that our nests are in ok places.

Oh, I know! Toads! We have a bazillion toads and they eat 29 bazillion bugs. My water tanks are inside the barn and what I do is keep some shavings behind the tanks. It's dark back there, up against the field stone wall and the loads LOVE IT. Every couple of days I pour a little water on the shavings behind the tanks to keep the toads damp. In the evenings, you can see them lined up, catching flies and gnats. It's so cool. They seem to know how to stay away from horse hooves, and its pretty funny to see a horse laying down in the shavings asleep, and 3 toads sitting between their legs catching their flies.

We've always had a lot of toads and I used to worry that their dropping were bad in some way, but I've never noticed any problem.

Espree fly repellent has been working GREAT for my horses. Better than anything else I've used, including Tri-Tec, Repel-X, Endure, etc.

I was pretty surprised since it's essential-oil based. I bought the concentrate in the gallon jug (just add water!). I did make it a bit stronger than the suggested 1:5 dilution; I made it 1:4. I have been amazed at how well it's working, even against those gigantic horseflies.

You might also want to try fly predators next year. Spalding Labs is where I get mine from, and they DO work.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Try Deo-Lotion

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...6&ids=36429880

its the only stuff I use, it works by MASKING the sent of the horse. Remember that bugs are stupid and find their host/prey/whatever by scent not sight. I would also suggest ponying up for a flysheet and hood. You can get a lightweight combo for less than a hundred dollars these days.

I use a homemade concoction, and the natural essential oils really do help for me. But my mare also wears a fly sheet all summer long.

If I were you, I'd just get a neck rug and be done with it.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Well shouldn't you change your title to just say all fly sprays not just homemade and natural, don't work?
    I'm having the same problem with the bites on the chest and a little up the neck. Maybe you could spread some lotion or Swat right in those areas for turnout.