The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Smile South Carolina

I'm considering relocating to South Carolina in the future, particularly around Charleston along the coast, somewhere close to the water. I'm hoping to find out what the horsey population is like there. Shows? Hunter/Jumper scene?

More importantly, Would it be difficult for me to find a job there? As a rider/barn worker/groom etc. Are there many barns around there?

Anything else 'horsey' about the area I would love to hear about. I know Aiken is the more horsey area but we are looking to be close to the water.

Thanks.

They just had the Charleston Classic there. I wish I lived in Charleston.

Check out this thread: http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...d.php?t=196703

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

just so you know, the coast is horse hell...but depending on what level you want to compete, you should be able find what you are looking for in charleston.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

I grew up on Hilton Head Island (about 2 hours south of Charleston) and as Missy said, it's NOT a good area for horses.

There is a serious lack of land for horses which causes the price of everything (board, hay, farrier, etc.) to be quite a bit more expensive than other places. There also aren't THAT many barns to choose from. There are some local circuits but other than the Charleston Classic, you pretty much have to drive at least 2-3 hours to get to any bigger shows.

That being said, it is possible to find good barns. I managed to do it for 19 years before I moved away.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

There are some good barns around Bluffton and Hilton Head (altho one is for sale for 2.2M) and one is being run by a triple crown jockey.

Charleston is beautiful , and Summerville, just outside of Charleston has some good barns. While the bugs and humidity away from the beaches are not good for horses, there are some great horse vets around there, and of course the horse shows on the islands. It's not VA and it's not Aiken or Camden, but it is beautiful. ( I have lots of relatives in Charleston and I love to visit there.)

Check out some of the big barns and see what the working conditions are.
    The College of Charleston has a very good riding team, and you might try to get a job with that program and barn.