The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What to do with this scar tissue?

So my gelding caught his leg in the paddock back in late Feb and was stalled and rested for about 2 months. Now the aftermath looks like this and I was wondering what could be done to make it less noticeable and somehow for it to not be so protruded out?

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...g?t=1248909429
    http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...g?t=1248909476

It looks like proud flesh was allowed to get out of hand. As such, no skin cells, therefore no hair, will grow.

Probably your only option at this point is surgical removal of the proud flesh. You're starting over with a fresh wound, but at that point you have a chance of allowing the correct healing to take over.

It might not work, you may be left with a permanent scar if the damage was severe enough.

OP
    What did you put on the wound?

Is he lame?

I had a mare get her hind leg caught in the wall.........and had necrosis scars develop. We controlled the proud flesh, but the hair has never totally grown over the scars.....
    I rubbed vitamin E oil on it......which may have helped some. But believe me, I tried everything I could find or read about.....and never found the magical product to make it go away.....
    She also got a little high ringbone from the swelling from the cut too........you may need to get your horse on adequan asap too.
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

I'm pretty sure all it is is scar tissue, not proud flesh. It has been this way for prob 2 months and nothing has been done with it once it got to this stage of healthy tissue. It does not bother when rode but it is an ugly site that has been turning away buyers, so we thought why not look into seeing if anything can be done with it.

proud flesh is glorified scar tissue. One of my geldings got caught up in a barbed wire fence and we dressed the would with wonder dust to prevent the accumulation of proud flesh and it did the job just fine. A friend of mine also used rose oil? i think it may of been rose oil....maybe rosemary? lord knows...lol I had another gelding that had an absess that blew out his coronary band and the scar tissue around the band was outta control! worst infection and aftermath ever...wonder dust did little to this boy...he had to have it lasered off. But he was money after that!
    don't squat with your spurs on!

If you want to contact me privately, I'll be glad to share with you the treatment that has been successful for us for MANY years. Cutting off pround flesh usually results in a mess and more proud flesh!!! Jackie Burke
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

laser therapy can work. Also, curious, if you push against it, is it a solid mass? I had one horse have a similar injury, and it ended up there was fluid trapped under the scarring, with made it appear much more puffy then it should have been.
    ended up getting it drained , then keeping the horse wrapped so it wouldn't refill, for a few weeks, then it was much more minimal.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

Has anyone ever tried NU-STOCK http://www.nustock.com/? Worth a try?

The wound is a solid mass underneath and does not feel soft or like there is fluid in there.

www.equaide.com

Will even work on an older wound like this. Will take all the proud flesh off without burning and heal very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by LetsRide View Post
    Has anyone ever tried NU-STOCK http://www.nustock.com/? Worth a try?
    I've got some at the house and I don't use it unless I'm out of other stuff. I've used it in the past and it didn't do any better than something like Nitrafurazone or Nolvasan or just plain old Triple Antibiotic cream.

Quote Originally Posted by jaimebaker View Post
    I've got some at the house and I don't use it unless I'm out of other stuff. I've used it in the past and it didn't do any better than something like Nitrafurazone or Nolvasan or just plain old Triple Antibiotic cream.
    Thank you.

I was given a bottle of this by a girl I trim for:
    http://www.healing-tree.com/Tea-ProEquine.html

She was told about it by a vet who swears by it.

It is AWESOME stuff! My horse hit her leg on the trailer door, making a nasty cut that was protruding. For a week I used nitrofurazone and wrapped it, cold hosed it 2x a day, and she still had swelling around the wound, and it wasn't closing up. I started using the Tea Pro and within one day, literally, it was drying up, the swelling went down, and it looked 10 times better.

I also used it on my dog. She was playing with one of the other dogs, and fell. She split her side open, all the way through the hide, down to the connective tissue under the skin. We took her to the vet and he stapled it up. Her hide is so tight, the staples just tore right through her skin. We had no way to keep the wound (about 2" long) closed up. Proud flesh was starting to grow so for kicks I started using the Tea Pro. After a week, you can barely see where the wound was.

The only problem is that it's runny liquid, like water. If you just spray it on, you waste a lot. It's better if you can soak a gauze pad with it, then apply it, and put a polo wrap over it. That worked for both the horse, and the dog.

I'm sold on this stuff for a wound treatment!

Another friend of mine also had great success using straight tea tree oil on proud flesh. It did not eliminate it all, but really helped with the healing.

Be careful with straight tea tree oil. I put one drop of it on my Australian Cattle Dog's hot spot. She went into toxic shock and had to spend all night at the vet's on IV fluids to flush it from her system. The vet said it's very dangerous stuff, straight. The reason it is anti-bacterial is that it kills living tissue. Of course with proud flesh, that's what you want. But this horse's scar doesn't look like proud flesh to me. I am certain it will heal over and the hair will grow back, based on a couple of experiences I've had with horses having wounds much larger. But it will be years, not weeks or months, before the wound is covered with hair and practically invisible. I don't think there are any shortcuts.

I have never heard of such an issue before ....are you sure there wasn't something else going on? Had you treated the dog with a flea product before?

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    It looks like proud flesh was allowed to get out of hand. As such, no skin cells, therefore no hair, will grow.
    I don't think so--that looks like it's covered with a layer of epithelium.

Probably your only option at this point is surgical removal of the proud flesh. You're starting over with a fresh wound, but at that point you have a chance of allowing the correct healing to take over.
    If cosmesis is a priority, sure, but I'd be reluctant to open up a fresh wound in that area if it were my horse. If it were on the medial aspect, and more likely to get whacked by the other foot if it remains so enlarged, it might be worth it.

It might not work, you may be left with a permanent scar if the damage was severe enough.
    Exactly.

I'd be inclined to massage a bit of vitamin E into it (can prick the end of a capsule of the stuff and squeeze it onto the skin) on a semi-regular basis, along with a modicum of benign neglect.

Over time, these things will contract further in many cases.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Quote Originally Posted by jaimebaker View Post
    www.equaide.com

Will even work on an older wound like this. Will take all the proud flesh off without burning and heal very quickly.
    Except there isn't any proud flesh there.

Quote Originally Posted by BornToRide View Post
    I have never heard of such an issue before ....are you sure there wasn't something else going on? Had you treated the dog with a flea product before?
    There are numerous reports in the veterinary literature of adverse reactions to tea tree oil.
    It's just like any other topical medication in that respect--there will be sensitivities. I recommend testing on a small patch of skin before use on an animal. And *don't* use it on cats!

In this instance, the skin lesion likely allowed absorption of the constituents of the oil at a significantly higher level than intact skin.
    There are reports of coma in the human literature after ingestion.