The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default HELP! my piggy came in covered in hives!!

I know I have not posted lately about little steven, but he has been doing well and growing SO fast! He now gets free roam of the farm, but chooses to hang around the horses most of the day, or lay in his kiddie pool.

But we have a problem. This morning I noticed he did not finish his dinner last night, NOT like him at all! So for breakfast I made it more appetizing for him and added some yogurt and fruit to it. I was in a rush and he looked fine so I set it in his bowl and ran off to work. Well I got back to feed tonight and he did not touch it at all. And now he is covered in hives! His snout is swollen as well and he has quarter to silver dollar sized hives/welts all over his body. He can walk, and is breathing normally, but he is just laying in his stall, not wanting much of anything. I was able to get him up and moving, he moved fine and was willing to go, but once I stopped shooing him, he ran right back into his stall and laid down again. He is drinking though, as his water bowl was used. And oddly, he is not scratching at all, which he does often, especially after a good mud roll. He did nor roll in any mud today as he is clean.

Im at a loss here. I have no idea what to do. I am thinking it seems like he went rooting somewhere he should not have been, and the bugs he disturbed let him have it (reason being his swollen snout as well).

I am still new to pig ownership so I am in a bit of a panic! anyone here know what I could do? any creams that would help? I neighbor friend "who raised pigs on the farm back in the day" said you can give them baby aspirin, but I want to check that before doing it.

I will try to get photos of it all.

Any advice?
    True love is taking their pain away and making it yours
    ~rest in peace momma (7/5/08)~
    ~rest in peace thomas (6/2/11)~

Benadryl and cortisone creme. Dosage amount is here (along with a pig condition that I'd never heard of...)

http://www.potbellypigpets.com/dippitypig.html

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Benadryl and cortisone creme. Dosage amount is here (along with a pig condition that I'd never heard of...)

http://www.potbellypigpets.com/dippitypig.html
    thank you! although I dont think that is what is going on, I did give him that dosage of Benadryl and it seemed to help. the hives are now pretty much gone but his snout is still a little swollen. He has started to eat again, not back to normal but enough to make me happy. He was more active towards the end of the day today. I think he got into something while rooting in my one garden type area. I was there looking and there was a mud wasps nest in the ground. he is improved I would say 75% or so. I am keeping a very close eye on him though.
    True love is taking their pain away and making it yours
    ~rest in peace momma (7/5/08)~
    ~rest in peace thomas (6/2/11)~

Must see pig-in-pool picture!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry