The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Eq and Medal classes - trot fence question

Simple question - maybe... For a trot fence during an Eq or medal class, is it acceptable to do a sitting trot to the fence instead of a posting trot?

Yes

According to my trainer, it is better to sit the trot. HOWEVER, if you have a crummy sitting trot, post.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Either is fine. Whichever you choose, do it well.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 13-15, 2015

Which ever you choose, make sure you have enough impulsion to jump the fence. Ask me how I know this is important.

Quote Originally Posted by Come Shine View Post
    Which ever you choose, make sure you have enough impulsion to jump the fence. Ask me how I know this is important.
    how do you know this is important?
    BeesKnees
    Hunters should be galloping - George Morris

Oh yes - please tell????

In our case, impulsion is not the problem - not cantering the last stride is the problem. So we may try sitting instead of posting and see if it works better that way. I just wanted to check to make sure it was acceptable. Thanks.

Either is acceptable.

Personally, I think posting helps reinforce the trot rhythm, and decreases the chance of the horse stepping into the canter.

Quote Originally Posted by chunky munky View Post
    Either is fine. Whichever you choose, do it well.
    I agree with this statement...

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    Either is acceptable.

Personally, I think posting helps reinforce the trot rhythm, and decreases the chance of the horse stepping into the canter.
    Agree with this theory...also from personal experience as well as observation.

If you normally drop into your seat for a stride or two to transition from trot to canter, as is commonly accepted, you risk a canter step when you sit coming to the base UNLESS you drop to that sitting trot way back.

If you drop to the sitting trot well back, you are sort of adding extra in there, it's a course asking for a trot fence and not a request to demonstrate the sitting trot.
    Beside that, seems to me, offhand, that the majority that get a canter stride are sitting and those that post rarely have that issue.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

BrightTime Guest

I always post until 3 or 4 strides away and then sit to the trot jump- it has worked for me very well so far.

I always post. It reinforces the trot rythme and has always allowed me to have the quality trot I need to jump the fence from a trot. Someone questioned why impulsion is important. If you have no impulsion at the trot then your horse is actually more likely to break into the canter in order to make up for that lack of balance and impulsion. You need a bright, coming from behind trot up to a trot fence so your horse can just as easily rock back as if he was cantering. Cantering is the natural gait of a horse to jump from, so if your trot isn't balanced then your horse is going to break to his natural gait to make himself comfortable.

As for sitting a few strides before I don't have a set rule. I try I post right up to the base. If my posting rythme is perfect timing I am sitting the last stride before the jump. If not I sit the last two strides.
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the
    inside of a man.

-Sir Winston Churchill

Both are acceptable--but do whatever you can do best. If you have the best sitting trot, do that. However, make sure you are not going to give your horse the chance to canter!! Many horses will think "oh, heres a jump, i'm probably supposed to canter, right? and you're sitting the trot, too, so why not?" so usually it might be a little more reliable to keep the trot if you post. But if you practice enough and you know your horse is not going to canter, go ahead and sit if you can do it nicely.
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

get back to your trot just soon enough to have your cadence. down transition from canter, leg on, trot Forward a few strides and then keeping leg increase impulsion by shortening your stride. i always post, but slightly open my hip angle as i approach the fence so the horse jumps "first".

Actually did this today over a crossrail while flatting just to see what I do...and I post then sort of sit the last two strides but more of a half seat with closed hip angle and butt a little off the tack. If my seat hits the saddle, mine will canter. Every time. In half seat for two strides, she holds the trot.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Default ok new question

So do you think you would be penalized if you did not land cantering? or is it acceptable to land at the trot and then pick up the canter? most of the time you do naturally land cantering but i did once see a class where one rider landed trotting and still pinned well in a big handy hunter class - don't know if it varies b/w hunter and eq or not

Quote Originally Posted by snaffle2 View Post
    So do you think you would be penalized if you did not land cantering?
    You should land in the canter. Anything else shows a lack of impulsion to the trot jump.

The only exception would be a class that is specifically restricted to trotting the jumps, such as a crossrail class.