The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Reward fund for FL horses being slaughtered

OK, there is a thread about more horses being slaughtered for meat in the Miami, FL area.

Does anyone know if a reward fund has been established to find those doing this?

If there hasn't been one established, does anyone from the Miami area know whom to contact about getting one started?

If there is one, I'd be willing to donate $1500.00 to it. I would love to see others on this board also donate. Your donation can be what you can afford, be it $1.00 or $1000.00.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

bumping up and hoping to see some other COTHer's willing to contribute. If we can get a fund started, I'll contact the TV station to see if they would broadcast it. I'm sure some of the local horse people in the Miami area would be willing to contribute to a fund that would be paid to the person's responsible for the arrest and conviction to the people doing this.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I'm in .. I posted yesterday in the thread asking about one.

Can't believe somebody hasn't already started one to smoke those critters out.

Couldn't we hire some private investigators to catch them? The police would no doubt like the crimes to stop, and are well-meaning, but it would be wonderful to be able to hire someone who wouldn't be paid until said miscreants are hogtied face-down in a police station. Incentives are wonderful things.

I'm sure it's a bad idea, but I can dream, can't I?????
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    Couldn't we hire some private investigators to catch them? The police would no doubt like the crimes to stop, and are well-meaning, but it would be wonderful to be able to hire someone who wouldn't be paid until said miscreants are hogtied face-down in a police station. Incentives are wonderful things.

I'm sure it's a bad idea, but I can dream, can't I?????
    If we were to hire private investigators(which I don't think we could afford anyway ), I can guarantee you that I sure don't want the criminals at the police station - more like the everglades as 'gator bait!
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by RainyDayRide View Post
    I'm in .. I posted yesterday in the thread asking about one.

Can't believe somebody hasn't already started one to smoke those critters out.
    Yep, you gave me the idea.

Let's hope we can get a few more people to contribute as well.
    Sue

I'm willing to contribute something. It may not be much, but since I can't trek down to Florida and hunt down the bastards myself, it's the next best thing I CAN do, I suppose.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

I'm in, let me know when you get a fund set up. Remember, if they are this cold blooded I'm sure they will stop at nothing. They need to be stopped now.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

see u at x and Eventer55:

Thanks. Any and all contributions will be graciously accepted.

I think I'll try to contact the TV station that did that last piece and see what they can do about getting the news out about a contribution or if there is one already.

I want those ba$tards hunted down before they kill any more horses or come north.
    Sue

msj, a very kind offer.
    Maybe contact the owner of one of the slaughtered horses, she has a website and a netposse page offering a $2500 reward for the killer(s) of her horse Geronimo. Maybe a way to pool money for a bigger reward? Might be more incentive for someone to squeal? Because it's most likely the same group of guys for all th deaths.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    msj, a very kind offer.
    Maybe contact the owner of one of the slaughtered horses, she has a website and a netposse page offering a $2500 reward for the killer(s) of her horse Geronimo. Maybe a way to pool money for a bigger reward? Might be more incentive for someone to squeal? Because it's most likely the same group of guys for all th deaths.

Misty, if you have the website or other info for thisthat you could either post here or PM me, I'd appreciate it. Right now I'm composing an email to the TV station and the reporter, Todd Tongen for any info or help. Thanks.
    Sue

Here is what I've sent to the TV station doing this latest story: WPLG at JustNews.com.

I do hope he is able to get us some information about getting a reward fund set up or locating the one that Misty Blue has mentioned in her post.

To the reporter, Todd Tongen:

Todd, I'm a member of an internet equine forum sponsored by the magazine The Chronicle of the Horse (http://www.chronicleforums.com/). One member of our forum posted your recent story about the latest horse slaughtered (with the foal) on our board. I suggested that a reward fund be set up and that some of our members might be willing to contribute. Here in the Rochester, NY area we have a Crimestoppers hotline where people are given a reward if their tip leads the arrest and conviction of the person who committed a particular crime.

Do you know of anyone in your area that has already set up a reward for these crimes? If so, please let me know and I will post the information on our Forum. I personally am willing to contribute $1500 for the arrest and conviction of all persons doing this heinous act but need to know to whom to send any money. Perhaps your story could be sent to the national news services and presented on the national evening news.

If you are interested, you can go to the website above, click on the Off Course Forum and find the topic. There are several of us that would like to see the criminals become 'gator bait and save the state of FL the money to try and convict them.
    Sue

I will most definitely contribute.

I would be more than willing to contribute. Let us know how.

To all of you willing to donate, as soon as I hear either from the reporter that I emailed, Todd Tongen, or if Misty Blue is able to find the information about the other person whose horse was one of the ones slaughtered that is offering a reward I will gladly post it. Thanks to all of you who are willing to contribute.
    Sue

The South Florida SPCA set up a fund after the case in February: http://www.spca-sofla.org/slaughter/slaughter.htm

It's at $2500.

Default Here's where to send your donations!

Many thanks to dudders for supplying the information.

The link is http://www.spca-sofla.org/slaughter/slaughter.htm

I'm going to email Jeanette Jordan, President, South Florida SPCA and ask that my donation be added to the reward for Geronimo fund. I hope you all will do the same. I'm sure every dollar will count. It appears on their website that you donate directly to their shelter but I want to make sure my donation goes toward the Geronimo fund. Good luck to all willing to add to his fund.

South Florida SPCA
    15476 NW 77 Court # 440
    Miami Lakes, Florida 33016

SOUTH FLORIDA SPCA WORKING HARD TO ADDRESS HORSE SLAUGHTER ISSUE

$2500 REWARD for information leading the arrest and conviction of the person(s) who killed and slaughtered 'Geronimo'.

We are working hard with authorities and other agencies to address this serious issue of the theft and slaughter of horses. We are pleased to announce that the Humane Society of the United States at the request of the South Florida Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals is offering a reward of up to $2,500.00 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of person or persons guilty of stealing and slaughtering of Ivonne Rodriguez's horse, Geronimo.

For further information:

Laura Bevan, Director, Humane Society of the United States/Eastern Region. Email: lbevan@hsus.org
    Jeanette Jordan, President, South Florida SPCA email jeanette@helpthehorses.com
    Sue

I got an immediate response from Jeanette that she would see if and how the FL SPCA can work out a donation for a specific cause - the Geronimo fund. While it would be nice if it can still be a tax deductible donation, I'm sure most of us would just be glad if it helps to get the culprits caught.
    Sue

That poor foal. Trying to nurse the dead mare.
    There should have been DNA from the earlier slaughtered horses, but I doubt that Miami-Dade, which has lots of human murders, has the manpower to have worked the crime scenes. It's not like csi tv, each cop and each crime lab person and each prosecutor has hundreds of active cases, and no resources to do all the work.
    But snitching is a science. The bigger the reward, the more likely someone is to snitch or roll over on the culprits. So a reward is a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    I got an immediate response from Jeanette that she would see if and how the FL SPCA can work out a donation for a specific cause - the Geronimo fund. While it would be nice if it can still be a tax deductible donation, I'm sure most of us would just be glad if it helps to get the culprits caught.
    I know I could care less about the tax deduction. I just hope the SOBs are caught (and preferably strung up by their toe nails and fed to alligators).