The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fun Classes at fun shows

I put together a few fun shows at our barn each year. We've offered western classes in the past, but have only had one or two people come for that, so we're not offering those again. I would, however, like to offer some "fun" classes along with the other, regular hunter/eq classes. Maybe something that the regular kids could do on their hunters. I saw the thread on the command class, and thought - what else have people done? Not speed type classes, but things along that line. We would have jumps set, too.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

We've had walk-trot and walk-trot-canter pairs, bareback eq flat classes, bareback eq o/f, and hunt teams. The kids have lots of fun doing the pairs classes together.

How about sit-a-buck, winner take all?

Also egg-and-spoon and mint julep (each rider carries a cup of water w-t-c both ways, least spilled wins)

Bribe Your Horse is always really popular at the fun shows I go to.

I'm also a fan of Bareback equitation.

And TP pairs. A pair of riders ride side-by-side and each rider holds the end of a strip of toilet paper (or streamers, if you prefer). They go through the paces/figures and get eliminated if their TP breaks or someone lets go. Last team left wins.

Flag race

Ride and run-horse/rider "run" to other end of arena or barrel-dismount and run back with horse in tow!

Barrel race-one year we had a 16.2 TB junior jumper finish 2nd out 15 horses and his rider did it in an english saddle!

pole bending

As far as 'fun' jump classes go, we have two that we like around here....one is stolen from Pony Club

The first is "Take Your Own Line" -- a few jumps are set up in an arena and set to be jumped either direction -- each jumper gets to choose which order they can take them in. You can always make it fun and interesting, and say "Well, each jump must be jumped only once, except for the pink and green vertical, which you have to jump in both directions" etc...

The other is "Jump it or Junk it" -- A course is set up and the riders each take the course.....after they finish the course, each competitor rides over to the judge and tells them which jump to leave out -- say they chipped at jump 3....they get to 'junk it'!
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

Quote Originally Posted by oharabear View Post
    Bribe Your Horse is always really popular at the fun shows I go to.
    What is that?

There's no reason you couldn't do pole bending or barrell races in English tack. I did both of them at a fun show last year It might just be a little bit slower than a real race!

You could do a Gambler's Choice, with fences ranging across the spectrum of what the kids are showing. Maybe make the Joker fence something that's scary, but not necessarily something big, to give the less advanced riders a chance.

I knew you guys would have good ideas! Others? I'd really like to make it something that all can participate in - not just the beginner riders or the folks on super green horses. These are great!
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

I used to be the queen of the bareback dollar hack when I was a teenager at my barn. Evidentually if the other barn rats saw that I entered they wouldn't. Then they would stand on the sidelines and laugh when I took all the ship-in's money
    Member of the Standardbreds with Saddles Clique!
    Sophie 11 yo Iberian Warmblood mare
    Seadog Man 11 yo STB gelding
    Our New Jet 7 yo STB Gelding