The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default HIVES????

I'm waiting on the vet, but this morning my horse came in with a few hives on his belly/neck area. Nothing major, but I wiped him with some witch hazel. I went to check him a few hours later and he was completely covered including his face. Vets said to give him Banamine and they are on their way. I did change brands of bedding this week. I was using pine shavings and have changed to another brand of kiln dried pine shavings. Could this be it or did he just pick up on something in the pasture?

Has it been rainy lately? I have one who has gotten hives just about every time we get rain after a dry spell. Banamine takes care of his completely. My other OTTB gets them occasionally, but Banamine won't do a thing for his while Benedryl works (doesn't work on the other horse). Individual physiology and all that!
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

We've had the rainiest spring and early summer I can ever remember here in Virginia. Then, we have had a very dry spell. Last night it did rain - a surprise thunderstorm in the middle of the night.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamare View Post
    I'm waiting on the vet, but this morning my horse came in with a few hives on his belly/neck area. Nothing major, but I wiped him with some witch hazel. I went to check him a few hours later and he was completely covered including his face. Vets said to give him Banamine and they are on their way. I did change brands of bedding this week. I was using pine shavings and have changed to another brand of kiln dried pine shavings. Could this be it or did he just pick up on something in the pasture?
    Yes, it could be the shavings.

In general when they have hives, try to eliminate everything new (that contacts their skin or they are eating).

Always check TPR on horse with hives as elevated Pulse can be early sign of anaphylaxis, indicating need for immediate medical attention.

I have used 50/50 dilution water/white vinegar bath as an effective neutralizer for allergens on the horses skin/coat.
    Last edited by Percheron X; Jul. 29, 2009 at 12:22 AM. Reason: spelling
    Copyright ©2007-2012, Percheron X
    My creative work may be used on the COTH forum only.