The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rocky Mountain Horse Trials - Anyone Else Going?

Some of us from Utah are going. Anyone else?

I have heard that it is a great venue with wonderful, friendly people! Any comments on the training course?

I am!!! It is a gorgeous venue! It's a John Williams course - so xc is very gallopy for all levels.

I am moving my horse up to Training at this event! So I think it is a good course! The only fence that makes me a bit is the, to me, HUGE trakhner. But it is almost the last fence, heading towards the horses and after an uphill - so, in theory, should ride well. Some max fences on course but nothing trappy. Has 2 waters and an upbank combination (that rides super well). The coffin caused a bit of problems last year. If you are a 'numbers' person, last year (its first year running) 24 people started and 15 people went clear.

Sounds great -- and challenging!

it is - and the scenery is gorgeous! Tricia Bernhardt does the photos and the background is stunning.

Also, have a fit pony - you go up and down the hill quite a few times!

Just got my ride times for next weekend!

I'll be running dressage scores Sat AM. If you see a preggo lady (only 5 mos- so not huge) with dressage sheets say hi!

Good Luck everyone!

4Martini,

I hope to see you around the dressage ring -- a friendly face in that frightening area is welcome!

I will be the stadium scribe there.

I was planning on competing, but then got wait listed and am doing CHP the next weekend instead.

How'd everyone do?

I saw some nice dressage on Sat! I also ended up JJing for Prelim CC and was really impressed overall with the prelim and training rides. There were a few rougher rides, but overall there were a LOT of really nice smooth rides! It was by far the least scary JJing I have done! I hope the later divisions were as good!

Also- I have to say the volunteer coordinator was awesome and made it really easy and pleasurable to volunteer!

I didn't ride and only got to watch for a couple of hours, but I have to say that course looked like a blast to ride! I hope the riders found it that way.
    I saw mostly good rides, some very good and from just watching and listening it seemed to be running smoothly.
    It is so nice to have another venue here in Colorado. I am interested to see what the riders thought.

We had a great time! Kudos to the secretary (Liz), organizer, and the fleet of volunteers!

"Cliff Notes" event wrapup. Dressage warmup was slick, but the competition rings had great footing. The stadium course was challenging and fun. Beautiful fences! Great course design. We had a "personal problem" at fence 6, but the course rode beautifully. The xc course was phenomenal! Beautifully constructed and carved fences! Prairie dogs! An alligator! Cat tail coffin complex. Good questions to challenge the rider and the horse. Excellent use of terrain. Great spectator viewing spots! Never did make it to the Pig BBQ stand -- despite the tantalizing aromas wafting around the showground -- and even the xc -- the stand was there too! Great sponsorship from local businesses!

We'll be back next year!

Thanks again to all who worked so hard to put on a wonderful event.

Does anyone know if there will be photos available for purchase?