The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default VIDEO: Leslie Burr Howard -- the Evolution of Extreme!

In yet another ode to a famous 1990s showjumper-- I figured some of you might like to see my latest work, it's a coming-of-age saga of the incomparable Dutch powerhouse, Extreme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JvViMY8OBA

Purchased with an eye on the Olympics, by Howard's long-time sponsorship partner Jane Forbes Clark: this young mare, whose EXPLOSIVE hind end made her famous/recognized the world over, truly lived up to their expectations, in all regards; and I LOVE her for it!

Hope you all do too
    Last edited by ImmortalSynn; Jul. 23, 2009 at 11:28 PM.
    A vaincre sans péril, on triomphe sans gloire.
    ~ImmortalSynn

In response to your comment on youtube:

What do you mean her career was so short? She didn't get injured or anything, did she?
    It was a very nice video by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by dauphine2 View Post
    She didn't get injured or anything, did she?

It was a very nice video by the way.
    Much appreciated
    ~ImmortalSynn

She seemed like a horse that could have gone really far in the video. Like one of those mares that just give it their all, every time out. Because after all, "A good mare is better than a great gelding". Not true in all cases, but certainly in some.

"A good mare is better than a great gelding".
    Good thing that Gem, Milton, Ben, Jappeloup, etc have all passed on already--- they otherwise might've died laughing at that assertion.
    ~ImmortalSynn

Yep. But right here, right now, I have a wonderful mare that gives it her all everyday. So I'm biased. And, the only geldings I've ever ridden consistently have been ponies... But that's another story.

That jump number 4 is entirely unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    I disagree, especially knowing the context of its existence.

That show is from 1995, as are the overwhelming majority of my videos.
    That year was special to me because it was a time when various designers (e.g., Steve Stevens, Richard Jefferies, and even Linda Allen-- who designed the actual Olympic courses) were challenged to come up with completely new/different/unusual elements not typically seen in USA showjumping; for the purpose of seasoning up many of the young horses who'd be competing in the Centennial games.

Part of this was out of nostalgia for the USA having won gold in the last time (1984) the Olympics were held on US soil. Part of it was due to the fact that many USET riders were in a down-time between mounts, with their senior horses nearing retirement, and their green horses possibly not yet ready for FEI competition on that scale.

This jump, as well as the notable Aqueduct from the AGA American Invitational that year (a jump that destroyed so many horses due to refusals that the Invitational was won that year without a jumpoff!) were just some of the many examples of that concept.

...also, the fact that this mare ended up making the Olympic cut could even be seen as a testament to such!

PS. This should make you feel better:
    VIDEO: Mont Cenis & Patty Stovel-- a spectacular clear round!

Some mounts, even somewhat-youngsters like "magnificent Monty" seen there, had absolutely no problem negotiation that obstacle.
    Last edited by ImmortalSynn; Jul. 24, 2009 at 12:36 PM.
    ~ImmortalSynn

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    I have to agree to some degree. Whether some horses jumped the fence fine or not the principles of course design dictate that one thing a course should never do is trick a horse, and that fence did exactly that. A course should be challenging and should have fences that if not ridden correctly will catch horse or rider, but they should never extend beyond those bounds.

If the idea was to prepare for tougher competition they may very well have achieved a different result. What good is it if your course design initiates future training problems? I hazard to guess the mare received some reinforcement at home, focused specifically on blind trust.

Frankly I have seen Leslie ride a zillion times and I remember the ride she had to put on in the last clip, it was very uncharacteristic, in that I had never seen her ride so defensive, basically expressing the fact that she did not trust the mare’s confidence, or faith.

Quote Originally Posted by Hauwse View Post
    one thing a course should never do is trick a horse, and that fence did exactly that.
    How exactly? I'm not seeing how you come to that conclusion.

There's nothing special, nor unprecedented about it. It's just a narrow, standard-less jump with no groundline... one that was meant to prepare the (unusually skewed amount of young) horses contending for the Olympic team for the narrow, standard-less jumps with no groundlines that were present in several of the Olympic courses the next year.

How's that a "trick"?
    ~ImmortalSynn

Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalSynn View Post

PS. This should make you feel better:
    VIDEO: Mont Cenis & Patty Stovel-- a spectacular clear round!

Some mounts, even somewhat-youngsters like "magnificent Monty" seen there, had absolutely no problem negotiation that obstacle.
    MONTY!!! Love this horse! He was one of my charges when he was at Ians. Use to stand with his tongue out for you to pull - then he'd crib off his tongue. Such a character.
    True North Dressage
    Select Cheval Canadiens for dressage and eventing
    www.TrueNorthDressage.com

I remember watching her in Atlanta as a kid and falling in love. I'd always wondered what had happened to her. Awesome video!
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Default question?

Because I don't ride jumpers, per se, I'm wondering about her stirrup length? I thought the bigger the fences, the shorter the stirrup. Her's seemed almost long?

Wow, what a mare. Very cool, but looks like a handful. Monty was so cute, too. thanks for the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabovee View Post
    MONTY!!! Love this horse!
    Who doesn't? That was one heck of a horse!

Quote Originally Posted by Sabovee View Post
    He was one of my charges when he was at Ians. Use to stand with his tongue out for you to pull - then he'd crib off his tongue. Such a character.
    At age 24, he's still around, and doing Dressage... there are several recent vids of him out there doing his thing-in-the-ring with his new young rider/owner
    ~ImmortalSynn

it all depends on how the rider wants to ride and prefers to ride. Leslie must be more comfortable keeping her stirrups a bit longer than normal. I lik eho wshe can actually hold the horse with her leg rather than rely onthe stirrup to hold he rin the saddle. just shows the true strength and athletesizm of her. My friend works on her horses.

So what exactly happend to Extreme?

Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl88 View Post
    So what exactly happend to Extreme?
    I don't know the specifics...
    but in one of the final issues of HorsePlay magazine, they did an article about S'Blieft winning the world's richest grand prix of that time, as only an 8yr-old. It basically applauded him for stepping up as Leslie's anchor mount, despite his youth, now that Extreme is sidelined by injury.

That was the last I ever heard of her.
    ~ImmortalSynn

Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalSynn View Post
    I don't know the specifics...
    but in one of the final issues of HorsePlay magazine, they did an article about S'Blieft winning the world's richest grand prix of that time, as only an 8yr-old. It basically applauded him for stepping up as Leslie's anchor mount, despite his youth, now that Extreme is sidelined by injury.

That was the last I ever heard of her.
    I loved S'Blieft!!!! What ever happened to him?

Loved Mont Cenis, Altair, and all those other amazing mounts of the era...*sigh*

S'Blieft I know for fact is livin the good life down in South Carolina!! Enjoying retirement! It was a sad day when he left the farm!

Wow, what a mare, what a rider! That was really impressive! If only I could ride like that... oh well, always beautiful to watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter/JumperMom View Post
    S'Blieft I know for fact is livin the good life down in South Carolina!! Enjoying retirement! It was a sad day when he left the farm!
    Neat to hear, I was wondering what'd become of him!

Do you know approximately when he retired?
    ~ImmortalSynn