The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Picking out feet

In your opinion, how important is it to pick out a horse's feet?

Depends.

I don't do it every day IF the ground is dry and the horses aren't going anywhere. I do check the shod one almost every day--usually there's nothing in there worth picking. The barefoot ones need even less checking--2-3x per week, maybe, and rarely I'll pick a bit out of the pony's narrow little feet.

Horse going out to work? Always before and after they are checked and picked if needed. Visual check of feet and shoes twice a day.
    Click here before you buy.

LOL... for real?

I'd say it is pretty important....
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

I'd say pretty important myself. But then again, we have thrush issues in the summer. I pick mine out 2x a week unless something is going on (thrush for instance) then I do it every day until the problem is taken care of. All of mine are barefoot.

I think it's pretty important. I pick out the feet before riding or when I am grooming to make sure everything is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
    LOL... for real?

I'd say it is pretty important....
    So, in your opinion, does it need to be done every day? Every time before the horse is turned out and as soon as it is brought in? Would you pay someone to pick out your horse's feet on days you couldn't do it? Is it so important that barn staff should do it every day and the price should be included in board? Is a few times per week before & after a ride enough? Do all the same rules apply if the horse is barefoot or shod?

I pick before I ride. I ride 4-5 times/week. The main reason that I do it, is because I don't want them walking on a stone, and I don't want to get off to check if I find that they are a little off when I get on them.

I'm thinking about the last 1000 or so times I've checked feet, and trying to count the number of times that I've seen or found something that was surprising or important.

Mmmm, two? (1 loose nail, 1 sole bruise)

Cleaning, yeah, that's important if the horse is in footing that leads to dirty, packed feet. Nine times out of ten when I "pick feet" I basically pick up, look, put 'em back down again.
    Click here before you buy.

Depends.

Before and after every ride, every time horse is groomed. Other than that, depends on the type of turnout and footing. Muddy or rocks? more often than if dry or grass. Depends on whether horse is shod or prone to thrush.

I pick my horse's feet everyday and use an anti thrush liquid, every other day.
    Hoof care is very important, especially with wet ground.
    I also like to check for foreign objects or a lose nail.

I don't worry too much about it - they are both bare and pretty much self cleaning. I do each time I ride ....

Every day in the winter, before they go into their stalls for the night. In the summer, not so much, usually before I ride.

Before every ride and whenever I just groom and pet. Normally I'd say "every time I touch the horse" but there are times (like today) when I'll just throw her in a stall for dinner, then toss her back out. If I hear a rock or anything weird, like one foot goes clop and the other goes clud, I'll stop and pick because it's probably full of dirt.

On the other hand, my BF only picks before rodeos and he's never had a problem. These horses are turned out together.

HOWEVER! He sent me this picture via text one night while I was at work. He said he was bringing Pinky in to eat (she's my little pony princess), and saw that she was standing sorta funny. He said she had NOT been lame at all or taken a weird step, just looked like she was standing sort of weird, so he picked up her foot to look. And saw THIS monster!! It took a claw hammer for him to get it out...I have no idea how she managed to wedge that in there. I saw it the next day (he saved it) and it is almost the size of my fist with a slightly flattened side.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

I guess it also depends on what the horses living conditions are. My horses are outside 24/7 (on quite a bit of land). Ya never know what they might get in their feet.

Horses that are stalled should be picked out every other day, in my opinion. If they are out on dry grass, once a week is sufficient. Also, if they are shod, more often is necessary than barefoot.

Our retired kids that are outside all day and in at night, get a quick check every night... of course if someone is in a hurry or sick, etc. Well the feet are left alone for the night.

I do know of a horse that was stalled, with turnout everyday, but short periods of time. He was shod also, which I really do think makes a difference. Never had his feet picked out. His hoof ended up crumbling and falling off. He had severe thrush that developed abcesses and the whole thing just fell apart. The owner didn't think picking was necessary. Bad decision.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

It depends on the situation. I always pick out feet before putting a horse in a stall. Pine shavings/sawdust have antibacterial properties, so getting the hoof good and clean and then letting the horse stand in clean shavings keeps it from developing thrush. My horses are turned out 24/7 right now, so I only pick out before riding.

I am kind of surprised by what I am reading. I was taught when I was little that a horse should be picked in the morning during their check and in the evening after their dinner and before each and every ride.

The way I look at is this...

If I check them in the morning and clean their feet I can see if anything is amiss. And when I clean them at night I rest easy knowing that that stone I might pick out hasn't been sitting there irritating them any more than a few hours. I can also be sure that their temps are normal and that there isn't anything nasty brewing that shouldn't be. Most of the time the feet are clean and a quick pick or brush is all that is needed. It takes maybe 10 minutes to do all three horses, sometimes less.

Peace of mind It's a priceless thing for me.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Default NEVER

Graduate A pony clubber, so shoot me.

My horse walks up a sort of paved drive to be turned out every day and brought in at night. He is on nice grass pasture. You can hear the clink if something is loose (instead of the clunk).

He is bedded on mats with shavings.

I look at his feet when I groom. I can tell if the clinches are risen. I listen as I lead him to the mounting block.

I always ask the farrier how his feet are and she always says fine.

I have a lot of arthritis in my wrists and knees and I am at risk leaning over to pick out his feet.

There are many paths up the mountain.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Once a day. Every day. But then I am from the wet and muddy Northeast with all sorts of interesting rocks and other objects in our pastures.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I think I'm weird. At the barn where I work, I pick out the horses' feet before we leave their stalls to go outside. I pick out their feet when they come back inside. I pick out their feet before they leave their stalls to get ridden. I pick the arena footing out of their feet when they come back in from being ridden. So they all get picked like.... a thousand times a day.

But hell, I'm the first one to notice when something is NQR with their feet, just because I know them all so well from looking at them so darn much.