The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Weird "horsey" things that you do when not around horses?

Okay, confession time!

The question's self explanatory, and every rider does it-- what are some of the weird/crazy/odd horse-related actions/habits that you have, when not around horses?

I have two:
    1) I'm always clucking at things.
    My mom's cat in particular; whenever I'm over there, especially when I want it to move off of my seat or come to her feed bowl, I inadvertently cluck at her. She just sorta looks at me like I'm crazy, but eventually gets the point. My sisters find it both amusing and annoying. I've also found myself clucking at random other things ranging from dogs, to little kids who don't get out of the way, to even once this old lady in line at the grocery store who was too absorbed in reading tabloids to notice she was holding up the line. Had to catch myself on that one, lol.

2) Getting in semi-twopoint over a speedbump.
    There's this one enorrrrrmous speedbump at my university, and I (and by admission, just about everyone I know who rides!) will admit to amusingly tilting up and forward outta my seat almost each and every time my jeep goes over it. It's funny how essentially every one of my rider friends who go to the same school, have at some point or other said they've done the same thing, and we all know exactly which speedbump it is. lol.

What's some of yours'?
    A vaincre sans péril, on triomphe sans gloire.
    ~ImmortalSynn

I cluck at my dog all the time. I have even clucked my hubby. He is like..I am not the horse, clucking doesn't make me go faster.

I practice whatever the lesson was while walking. Last week it was leaning a bit foward and widen hands to go faster, and sitting back and narrowing hands to go slower. It is real slight movements..not perching.

At Thanksgiving last year I elbowed my sister and told her to "move" in the same tone I use on my horses so I could peek in the oven. We both cracked up and she said I've been around horses too long.

I occasionally gallop around the house(to my family's amusement)
    I can even jump well!

Dawn

I cluck at everything. Doesn't usually work, but I keep doing it!

I will occasionally forget and tell people to "whoa". My family is used to it (they even respond!) but my firends often think that I'm calling them, um, a lady of the night. Some nasty responses there. :-)

I also leg-yield my car and motorcycle if I'm drifting in my lane or going around a corner...it sounds stupid (esp. in the car), but it totally works.
    In memory of Rebuff (1974-2009)

Rest in peace, my sweet man

My husband looks at me funny when I pat him.

LOL on the speedbumps!
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

haha I do the two point speed bump thing too!
    I also count strides between things!

I count strides. I find myself doing it all of the time... distances to doors, between lines in a parking lot/garage, etc. I just do it subconsciously.

i muck out my house lol

The other day I was riding the lawnmower and for some reason it kept doing something weird, it would suddenly REV up real high and I would have to pull the throttle all the way down then it would about cut off and I would have to move the throttle back up to where it was. It kept doing this and once rev'd up while turning so suddenly I found myself about at the point of flipping when it did this, I straigtened it up, throttled it down and back up, slapped it upside it's "neck" (hood) and yelled at it "Act RIGHT!!!" in a firm, loud voice and then found myself blushing profusely and extremely glad no one was watching, LOL!

And my late little blind Min-Pin when she would be about to walk into something I would yell "WHOA!" instead of stop! She soon learned quickly what I meant, good dog! I sure miss her...
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

My DH teases me because I will sometimes absentmindedly give him a hearty scratch on the back. It is apparently rather painful without a fur coat.

I don't cluck at him, but I have been known to tell my 5 year old son to, "walk on" if I need to get him moving.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

driving: back when i jumped more i would find myself closing my hip over speed bumps; now i just find myself weighting my seat bones going around corners.

i cluck and count strides too...and tell my car (or other cars that might be pulling out in front of me) to whoa

i also got a piggy back ride from my dad several years ago and he decided to start "bucking" so i kicked him....didn't even realize i did it until he got upset and reminded me that he wasn't a horse....i tried to explain to him that i didn't mean to and that it was instinct but i'm pretty sure i was laughing to hard to get the point across

I cluck to my cats all the time... and they understand what I mean! I also do the "Hoooo, hoooo, easy" thing to them when they're squirming during a procedure such as having their nails trimmed.

I caught myself about to poke a car someone parked too close to mine and tell it to "Get over!" at the grocery store yesterday!

I also squeezed with my calves because a webpage wasn't loading fast enough once...

Kim
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

Quote Originally Posted by Chardavej View Post
    The other day I was riding the lawnmower and for some reason it kept doing something weird, it would suddenly REV up real high and I would have to pull the throttle all the way down then it would about cut off and I would have to move the throttle back up to where it was.
    Did you remember to release after that half halt?
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHorseProblem View Post
    Did you remember to release after that half halt?
    LOL!! Actually I think I did!!
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

I click at my dog to hurry up and poop. I do not do this with my horse - haha.

My dogs are "cluck" trained! they move when I cluck they come when I cluck and my friends think its really funny! my kids also cluck , we sound like a bunch of chickens some days!

I use the expression "get up" all the time, if the dogs are around my feet, if the kids walk in front of me , if the car in front of me is too slow.
    These horsey things seem to invade most of my everyday life LOL!
    Kim
    If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

I've actually found that a good relief for my minor carpal tunnel syndrome is to take a break from the keyboard and pretend I'm holding reins for a minute - squeezing and releasing.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry