The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lease Advice Needed!

So next year is my last junior year and I really want to move up past 3'3 at home and show 3ft+, but I lack a horse that can do that. I've found two possible lease horses with good show records, but I'm having trouble deciding which horse would be better for me to lease.

Horse A: Cute Warmblood-looking TB; nothing fancy, but a tidy jumper and very honest. He's very scopey and could easily pack me around 3ft-3'6 jumper courses; he knows his job and is not very complicated.

Horse B: Gorgeous OTTB with nice, smooth movement and thick build, (he also looks more like a warmblood). Somewhat of a difficult horse; very bossy on the ground and needs to be watched almost all times(very mouthy);requires a knowledgeable rider as he is very "opinionated" and likes to test his limits(esp. on the flat and over higher jumps). Very scopey, more so than horse A(jumped 4'3 with plenty of room to go higher), however can be very strong and needs a very confident rider 3ft and up.

With horse A, I could easily compete at my goal and possibly do medals as well, since he's suitable for that too; however, I don't know if I want to move up levels just because a made horse is packing my butt around the course and I don't really have to "ride" as much.

With horse B, (who I rode a few days ago), I noticed that I really had to ride and be exact about what I wanted, or I would run into trouble. This horse thinks he can find his own distances(w/o rider help) and would rather take off long. Although he's very strong, he was very honest and nice when I landed a little crooked off one of the 3ft jumps.

Overall, with horse A I could compete higher because he's a lot easier to ride, but I know that horse B would probably improve my riding more, even if I could only compete below 3ft until I could take care of him over the jumps instead of the other way around.

Now that my novel is complete....any opinions/advice?!

You need to decide what you want and talk it over with your trainer It sounds from your post like you're leaning towards horse B. Is that what your heart is telling you?

There's a LOT to be said for riding a fun, easy "packer."

But there's also a lot to be gained from learning from and forging a partnership with a more challenging ride.

So which do you want? Both sound like they could be a lot of fun. You have to decide whether you'd rather focus on the showing part (which sounds like horse A) or the learning at home part (which sounds like horse B). I bet both horses have a lot they could teach you. There's no "right" or "wrong" answer here, only what would work best for you and your goals!

This is a decision that you need to make with your trainer.

Horse B sounds like my guy about 10 years ago. He would choose not to listen to me about distances and make his own up--he's quite good at it and it helped me find an eye for a distance but we have gotten into a few arguements--he was nice but never failed to over-exaggerating every one of my faults, I guess some people call that "very honest"? haha! It has made me a better rider and we have developed quite a bond--heck the old guy is still pulling out lovely 3 foot courses at 23 years old.

I think you need to decide for yourself what your goals are--there is nothing more frustrating than having a lovely horse like horse B, but wishing you had horse A because he's more tuned with your goals OR having horse A when you really want to "work for it" and have a horse that will take you wherever you want to go. Goal setting--something I still suck at, I know you'll be better at it than I am
    BeesKnees
    Hunters should be galloping - George Morris

oh, also with a lease it helps to make a decision as you're not buying the horse. Are they leases with the option to buy? Are they full year leases? If it's in your lease contract, you could always "return" the horse after 6 months or what have you if it's not working. Just something else to think about
    BeesKnees
    Hunters should be galloping - George Morris

I'd be half leasing most likely. And because I'm leaving my current trainer, which ever horse I decide to lease will be under a new trainer I'll take lessons from. The trainer of Horse A is well known on the local circuit and does rated shows as well. The trainer(also the owner) of Horse B is an ammy going back to pro status, but I've known her for awhile since she rode under my current trainer! Another factor is that I can show Horse B for dirt cheap(I just pay entry fees, 1/2 stall/feed, and gas) because the owner wants to get her name out there as a trainer and taking me to a show would help that.

I know it's ultimately my decision but it's hard to choose since I like both horses and trainers and I'm at a really indecisive point in my life! I guess the point of my post was for someone to point out something obvious that I didn't see and would swing my decision strongly one way. I am leaning towards horse B though...

Horse A.

B sounds like a pain in the butt.

I also say horse A. Sounds like you'll have a lot more fun and accomplish your goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Rye View Post
    Horse A.

B sounds like a pain in the butt.
    Seriously. I read it and thought why exactly are you considering B? Horse A sounds more enjoyable to ride, and I didn't see any obvious advantage to B. Ask yourself which one you would enjoy riding every day and whether that horse meets your needs, and that's your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Madison View Post
    Seriously. I read it and thought why exactly are you considering B? Horse A sounds more enjoyable to ride, and I didn't see any obvious advantage to B. Ask yourself which one you would enjoy riding every day and whether that horse meets your needs, and that's your answer.
    Well, I guess I'm used to riding challenging horses and I feel more accomplished when I do show and win, because I know I had to work harder to get there, than just winning on an easier ride...I'm going to ride both of them again this week to make sure I make the right choice.

Since next year is your last junior year and you want to move up, I would go with horse A.

You will have lots of time in the future to deal with difficult horses. Give yourself a year to go out and have fun!

I also do not think it is true that a more difficult horse always does more to improve your riding. Sometimes they cause you to develop bad habits, ride defensively, etc. Horse A that "knows his job and is not very complicated" might allow you to work on really learning some of the finer points of finessing a good hunter course as well as focusing on your positiona and learning some more advanced skills.
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

Given that it's your last year as a junior, I'd definitely go with horse A. Accomplish your goals and then find a challenging horse to ride (if you still want to!).
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Which would allow you to have more fun next year? Not everyone gets the opportunity to get a packer, and then you can focus totally on YOU. I'd choose A.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Well, I guess I'm used to riding challenging horses and I feel more accomplished when I do show and win, because I know I had to work harder to get there, than just winning on an easier ride...
    It doesn't always work like this.

Sometimes riding a challenging horse will teach you more, but there's a LOT, and I mean a LOT, to be learned from riding a made horse as you're moving up. Riding a made horse can just as much teach you to do things correctly and learn what you're supposed to be doing so you can teach those things to horses like horse B in the future.

That's not to say Horse B can't teach you things. It's just another way of looking at what you can learn from Horse A. Made horses frequently have as much to teach as those that are challenging.

I agree with Trixie.... People don't realize this until they've experienced it for themselves- you learn MORE from the made, nice horses than you do from a difficult horse.

I have a made Dressage horse and a Dressage horse I have trained from the ground up. Both have a lot to offer, but I love hopping on my old school master after a long day of dealing with the greenie... Its relaxing and I ride sooo much better on him! Granted..I trained him to where he is, but he is made now and I would love riding him even if I hadn't made him myself. Green horses are fun, but the fun wears off after you get stuck and can't get out.. I say go for horse A... you will have a much more rewarding season and your riding will improve a lot!
    *Paige*
    ~*It's not about the ribbons, but about the ride behind it"
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

Horse A. Ride the good ones while you're a junior and can still afford to show. There'll be plenty of time after you've aged out and are paying your own bills to ride the bratty ones.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Default I say Horse A

Horse A You will have more fun, be competitive, and not have you confidence shaken. One wrong long distance to a 4' square oxer with horse B could end up as a fun day at the hospital. Horse A sounds like so much fun. Hone your skills there, and then tackle the more difficult ride.

Quote Originally Posted by indygirl2560 View Post

With horse A, I could easily compete at my goal and possibly do medals as well, since he's suitable for that too; however, I don't know if I want to move up levels just because a made horse is packing my butt around the course and I don't really have to "ride" as much.

Overall, with horse A I could compete higher because he's a lot easier to ride, but I know that horse B would probably improve my riding more, even if I could only compete below 3ft until I could take care of him over the jumps instead of the other way around.
    On a LEASE specifically to move up and enjoy your last Junior year????

That whole Packer is too easy and will not improve your riding while the more difficult horse you cannot jump 3' on for some time will is, frankly my dear, BULLS*T.

You cannot expect to do both. Learn to be confident at 3' and over is one thing. Dealing with a horse that will not do that for you without a precise ride will not automatically give you confidence or let you learn what the heck you are doing over bigger fences...plus it could scare you and/or get you defensive. bad habits created by the need to ride defensively are HARD to break but very easy to get into on the wrong horse. Especially when you are trying to move up in height.

You could pour your heart into horse B, never get where you want to go because there is no proof that he can even do it AND you have to give him back anyway.

Go for A and have some fun your last year as a kid, realize your dreams. Do NOT worry about your skills deteriorating or opinions constantly voiced on this BB about made horses creating inferior riders. On the contrary, good horses make good, confident riders and this one has alot to teach you.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I'd choose A. You probably will learn more from horse B, but you may not get to the level that you want to in your last junior year. I chose the "horse B" to buy, and he has taught be a LOT that will help my riding for the rest of my life, but I didn't get to do the levels I wanted to before my junior years were over. He also came with a lot of disappointment and confidence shattering that took a lot of time to recover from, which I wouldn't have had if I had chosen the "A" horse. My advice is to choose A now and maybe later in life you'll get the pleasure of dealing with a B.