The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default electric fence energizer/charger and ground question

I have had issues with my pasture being too big for my solar charger and decided to go for an electric charger (twin mountain E800 80-mile engergizer).

It says it needs to be installed inside...OK no problem. I have electric in my garage near the pasture -I can do this except, what do I do with the ground? How do I run the ground wire from the garage to an outside ground stack (driven into ground)? Do I use insulated wire and put it through a window or under the garage door? What is the best way to do this?
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

We have two fencers installed inside a building. We drove the ground rods in just outside the building and connected it via a groundwire ran from the fencer, under the wall to the ground rods. I would think it would be fine to run it out the window or under the door. We use just an ordinary galvinized wire for the ground wire. One advantage is that the water runs off the roof and keeps the ground wet which makes the ground rods more effective. The ground rods are also out of the way.

Instead of installing it inside a building - just get a mailbox and put it in that. Then you can run your ground right next to it. The mailbox is enough to protect it from the elements.

I have my charger inside. Took an old extension cord...well wrecked really, it had an arguement with the snowblower and lost.....and removed insulation, attached to the contacts on the charger, stuffed the other end through a window, then stripped the wires, added clamps, and drove the ground post right by the window. No problems at all in several years. We won't count the fence encounters with large ungainly ugly cervids.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Default Best way

Use #8 uninsulated solid copper from the fencer to the ground rod clamp. It is the ground, doesn't need to be insulated at all. Solid wire is best since it maintains pressure & contact with the ground rod. You're using a UL rated direct burial ground rod clamp... right??

Even better, use a single long wire through three ground rods spaced 10 feet apart.

Yes, 3 long ground rods, 10 feet apart will help any fencer work the best. And keep the ground moist.

My electric charger is outside by fenceline. I built a wooden box around it to help protect it from the elements. The other charger I had was out in the elements for 3 years (and still working) when I took it down last year to replace with a bigger one bc I doubled the fencing footage.

My friend has a bucket upside down over hers. I'm sure neither her way nor my way protect it from moisture, etc that only being inside would help avoid. But..they both work fine thus far!

About grounding- does anyone know why my gates are shocking the crap out of me?!? I have 15 gates and a few of them will get you every single time. The other few will get you only sometimes (esp when wet) and the other 6 or so never zap you? I had an electrician out for barn work and he looked at the gates and couldn't tell me anything- said I need to get a knowledgeable fencing guy out there bc he didn't know anything about electric wire fence.

The paddocks that really get you are at the very end of the 8800' of electric fencing I have. They are only 60' wide and 150' deep (layup paddocks). No wires are touching and they have the same 12' mesh gates on them.
    Would it help to run a ground at each fence right beside the gate?

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by DiablosHalo View Post
    My electric charger is outside by fenceline. I built a wooden box around it to help protect it from the elements. The other charger I had was out in the elements for 3 years (and still working) when I took it down last year to replace with a bigger one bc I doubled the fencing footage.

My friend has a bucket upside down over hers. I'm sure neither her way nor my way protect it from moisture, etc that only being inside would help avoid. But..they both work fine thus far!

About grounding- does anyone know why my gates are shocking the crap out of me?!? I have 15 gates and a few of them will get you every single time. The other few will get you only sometimes (esp when wet) and the other 6 or so never zap you? I had an electrician out for barn work and he looked at the gates and couldn't tell me anything- said I need to get a knowledgeable fencing guy out there bc he didn't know anything about electric wire fence.

The paddocks that really get you are at the very end of the 8800' of electric fencing I have. They are only 60' wide and 150' deep (layup paddocks). No wires are touching and they have the same 12' mesh gates on them.
    Would it help to run a ground at each fence right beside the gate?

Any ideas?
    You've current leakage around those gates somewhere. Check carefully for inadvertent contact. It could be as simple as repositioning a hanging chain. Are you routing the charging line under them?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Kane View Post
    You've current leakage around those gates somewhere. Check carefully for inadvertent contact. It could be as simple as repositioning a hanging chain. Are you routing the charging line under them?

All the gates are supposed to have underground wire from fence to fence under gates. Now that you mention it, I do not think these small paddocks have that wire coming up from the ground. I'll have to take another look when I get home this afternoon, but for some reason, I remember it odd that they did not have that wire?

If they do not, could I run a separate one rod ground on each or have to dig and put underground wire? Even the quick-latches will zap you. I'll try to remember to take picture of the gates/latches also.

Thanks!