The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default X-Post from Eventing forum: Looking for Conroe, TX boarding facility

Hi everyone-

This is my first time posting (first of I'm sure what will be many!) and I'm wondering if you all can help me out.

I JUST found out I will be moving to The Woodlands/Conroe (Houston), TX in November and am wondering if you all have any recommendations for boarding barns.

I would still like to take lessons. I have gotten into eventing this past year and purchased my first horse in January after having started riding 3 years ago. We are by no means your "serious" eventer, but hope to be at a level to compete at rated shows in the next year.

MUSTS for a barn (aside the important basics: safe fencing, quality hay/grain, adequate pasture, safe/secure facility, good management, etc. etc. etc.)
    -pasture board with run in's/adequate shade (and free choice hay) or stall board with turnout- he is a bit of a hard keeper.
    -Arena for riding with jumps (indoor, lighted, covered, a plus! but not necessary)
    -wash racks and cross ties

Would also like:
    -Trails or trail access
    -trainer on site
    -facility that provides shipping to shows (for a fee, of course)
    -barn lounge and restroom
    -area for tack storage

Would NOT like:
    -a facility that primarily does only lessons (aka a lot of kids running around)
    -a facility that requires riders to be neatly turned out while just riding (ie. won't allow tank tops, requires polo shirts, has to have all hair completely under helmet)

I am sure I will think of more, but this is a start. It is going to be hard to leave the barn Im at now as it is PERFECT in every way: the people, trainer, management, facility, all the trails, the atmosphere... it could not be any better. Leaving where I am now will be the hardest part of this whole move.

I could also use recommendations on farriers (currently barefoot, may add front shoes in the future), vets, Equine chiro & massage therapists, and trainers in the area.
    If any of you have moved your horse like this before (800 miles), do you have any tips?

Finally, what is the Eventing scene like there? Are there a lot of opportunities for schooling shows? What about Jumpers and Dressage? Any information you are willing to share is much appreciated!!

Thanks so much!!
    "The air of Heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears" (Arabian Proverb)

The only place that I know of that is good that does eventing is Cornerstone Sport Horses, owned by Courtney Rowles. I think they fit everything you said, but I'm not sure. If you want a jumper barn, I'd say go to North Houston Horse Park, but they don't have eventing. I really don't know about any of the eventing or dressage scene here, but the hunter/jumper is pretty decent. There are always schooling shows going on, and lots of rated THJA and USEF shows that are close. pm me for anything else, I know a few places you should stay away from!

It is about a 1.5 drive from where you will be but Pine Hill is a nice place that has an event course onsite. It is located in Bellville. Ive been there and ridden some of the course and in the jumper ring. Well kept safe place. Holds several shows a year - google them!

I have never been here but google Cornerstone Sport Horses in Conroe. They seem to have all of the things you are looking for.

I recommend you steer clear of Saddlebrook. They will fee you to death, have very strange rules and are very much a place I would never go again.

thank you both.

Cornerstone seems really nice and not too far from where I'll be. They kept referencing their "price list" in the sections of their site but I did not see it... anyone else happen to find it? If you wouldn't mind, could you PM me with the places to avoid?

As great as the other facility sounds, 1.5 hrs is a bit far, but thank you for the suggestion.

So far, there are three other places that I'm strongly considering: Camelot Horse Center, Scarlet N' Gray Farm, and Tex-Over Farms.
    Last edited by ridefree; Jul. 27, 2009 at 09:38 AM. Reason: farm name
    "The air of Heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears" (Arabian Proverb)

I don't know what the eventing barns are in the area any more, but I've been at Tex-Over, with Jo Hancock Schroeder, for over 15 years. I currently have 3 horses there, my 7 year old Hano gelding that does hunters and dressage, and my 2-year old and yearling homebred BWP jumper prospects. I live in Houston and drive the 40 minutes up there, but it is very convenient to The Woodlands and Conroe.

Jo doesn't event anymore, but does the A circuit H/J shows and a few dressage shows every year. However, if you want a safe place for your horse, where you can trust that he/she will get excellent care, has an excellent H/J/Dressage trainer, has good facilities, and you can trust the barn owner and trainers to be honest, then Tex-Over is that place.

The website is sadly out of date (though they are supposed to be in the process of updating it), but it gives you an idea of the facilities. It has the big, lighted covered ring and a smaller covered ring, big jump ring and a smaller jump ring, dressage rings, free jump pen, round pens, etc. There is also a large area in the back that has some small xc fences, but is mostly a good place to do some hill work and conditioning in an open field. Turn-out is a few hours every day or overnight, or the horses can be out 24/7 but not on pasture -- too hard to maintain here, so it is rare that you will find pasture turn out in South Texas. They feed Purina feeds and good coastal hay, but you can also get alfalfa and supplements. Bedding is the new type that acts like clumping cat litter.

It's a big barn, so the farrier (Paul Simms) comes out every week and does the horses on a rotation. The vet (Dr. Mark Haugland) comes out every Monday because there's always someone that needs looking at, and he's often there on other days as well. Both are excellent. Boarders can, of course, use their own vet or farrier if they want to for some reason.

They wouldn't even think of having a dress code. And the people are nice -- almost all adults and some juniors. If you're in town, feel free to come out and take a look at the facilities and meet the people. The busiest time to meet the most people is Saturday morning, but any morning will have people around.
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

sounds like a great place!
    farm visits in August will help make up my mind on where we'll go. Of course, making sure my horse is happy, healthy, and safe is my number one priority. Though we do eventing, I'll also do jumpers as well since there are usually a great deal more of H/J shows. I will be sending emails to get more information on several places this week. Can you tell me what board runs? (Pasture)

Thanks for the information. Hearing from boarders first hand is, what I feel, the best way to help make the decision on where to go.
    Last edited by ridefree; Jul. 27, 2009 at 11:31 AM. Reason: sentance that didn't make sense! ;)

Sorry I don't know anything about the eventing scene...
    I have not been to Tex Over but I know Jo and have seen her at the shows. If I was looking Tex Over would be on my list for sure. She seems like a great instructor.

Scarlet n Grey is a nice place but I thought they were mainly H/J.

Anyhoo-welcome. Houston is a very friendly place and you will learn there are horses everywhere is some shape or form. We moved here in 2001 and love it.

Lastly there is an English Tack shop in The Woodlands called Rose Hollow. They maybe able to give you some barn names that do Eventing.

Board around the area averages $550 to $600 for what you are requesting
    Good Luck.

thank you all again, for all the help!

Has anyone heard of Camelot Horse Center? I havent heard it mentioned by anyone but found it in searching for places. Seems like it would be a nice facility, but just wondering what you all have heard?

I could not think of Tex-Overs name! Ive heard good things about it.

Camelot...I dont think I know it.

A word of caution...one time I had to make a big out of state move and couldnt afford to 'fly out and see' with my own eyes. Talked for an hour to one lady after talking to several. She had a great sales pitch let me tell you. Well luckily My horse hadnt been there 48 hours when I arrived. I checked on him...OMG the conditions of that barn were crap. I was soooo angry. I left, found another barn and had him moved that day. I was young and it was a learning experience. Please dont make the same mistake! Luckily nothing bad happened but it certainly was not a place I would have ever ever ever boarded in!

Quote Originally Posted by ridefree View Post
    sounds like a great place!
    farm visits in August will help make up my mind on where we'll go. Of course, making sure my horse is happy, healthy, and safe is my number one priority. Though we do eventing, I'll also do jumpers as well since there are usually a great deal more of H/J shows. I will be sending emails to get more information on several places this week. Can you tell me what board runs? (Pasture)

Thanks for the information. Hearing from boarders first hand is, what I feel, the best way to help make the decision on where to go.
    At Tex-Over, pasture board (but without much grass) is currently $310 and 12 x 12 stall board is is $510, although they may be going up within the next several months. There are extras, like each additional supplement (or adding a Smartpak with however many in it) is $5.00 per month, blanketing in the winter is $25, alfalfa is (I think) an extra $25-50, feeding lunch is something like an extra $20 or so, things like that.

Lesson costs depend on the trainer, and whether it is a 50 minute group (2 or more) or 30 or 45 minute private lesson. A group lesson with Jo is $50. Training fees also depend on the trainer and how many rides per week, but ranges from $35-50 per ride, if I recall correctly. There is no lesson or training requirement to board there.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about Camelot, other than having seen the name on the drapes at some shows.
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry