The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Turnout question: Canvas Tall Boots?

OK, the sole finally ripped off my old field boots. I primarily ride dressage these days and I have nice dress boots - but I get paid to exercise jumpers/eventers once a week, and I have to look presentable. Not perfect, but semi-professional...you get the idea. I am not investing in/breaking in another new pair of leather boots. Half chaps are not an option. What do you guys think of the Canvas field boots Dover sells? I like the idea of them, think they're kind of cool, thought maybe I'd try a pair out. Anyone have a pair? Are they comfortable? Worth $100 bucks? My main concern is that the canvas would rub the saddle too hard (a la jeans) which I can't be having since I'm not riding in my own tack. Opinions?

Not sure what is so horrible about another pair of field boots? You can get very comfy, nice ones easy to break in for $110. There ARE actually nice tall boots for less than $300, LOL.

The only ones I could find at Dover that were canvas were muck boots - did not look like they were made for riding at all... I'd have to say no on those, unless there was something I missed that looked more like a riding boot

Sorry Dover doesn't carry them anymore but they are still available online. They're "Tuffrider Canvas Slide Zip Field Boots" I think they're kind of cool, I;m just wondering if anyone has tried them, and especially if they are hard on saddles...
    Here is a photo:
    http://www.equestrienne.com.au/image...ip_canvas.jpeg

I think the foot is still leather? So that part would still have to be worn in? I don't know about those boots (which are very cute) but I love my Ariat field boots, I swear they broke in in one day of riding. They are relatively waterproof which might be a minor issue with the canvas ones and they are very easy to clean and maintain, again, I can see that cleaning might be and issue with the canvas ones. Just playing devil's advocate...

By the way, if you do get them let us know if you like them . They are cute.

Wow, I really like those-- maybe I should get a pair to school in.

I'd love to know how the zip holds up with it modified like that. Wonder if its sturdier than straight down the back...

Quote Originally Posted by vbunny View Post
    I'd love to know how the zip holds up with it modified like that. Wonder if its sturdier than straight down the back...
    I often wonder the same thing... maybe someone can chime in that has experience with that"wrap around" zipper style?

They don't look much different than half chaps to me. Why do you prefer them?

Because they aren't half chaps

Thumbs up

I did buy some of these for schooling, so as not to ruin my nice boots - and they are amazingly comfortable, and everyone seems to like them. Thumbs up!

Quote Originally Posted by PennyChrome View Post
    Because they aren't half chaps
    so does that mean you don't like the look, the feel the concept or all of the above of half chaps. Because they aren't doesn't really answer the question unless I am supposed to conclude that you are morally opposed to half chaps.

I think they look cool and agree with you about half chaps....don't like 'em.

Report back if you get them!
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Ariat makes some.. IDK where, but I was in this awesome store yesterday Called Frenchs and saw a pair made by ariat
    *Paige*
    ~*It's not about the ribbons, but about the ride behind it"
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

If the canvas idea doesn't work out, what about synthetic? They're like $80, hose them off to clean them, no break-in time, super easy to get on and off, durable...
    Katie

Quote Originally Posted by Gry2Yng View Post
    so does that mean you don't like the look, the feel the concept or all of the above of half chaps. Because they aren't doesn't really answer the question unless I am supposed to conclude that you are morally opposed to half chaps.
    This is my personal taste - let it be known that other people wearing half chaps doesn't bother me. Half chaps are bulky, hard to fit, and un-professional . Boots are sexy.

There are half chaps that blend so seamlessly with nice paddock boots that you cant even tell they arent tall boots! I am a big fan personally. IDK about the canvas boots, if you get them, let us know how they work out!
    http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...7/PIC_0491.jpg
    Live, Cherish, and Enjoy every moment.

I love the look of a newmarket boot for hot weather cubbing. But then, well fitted half chaps can fill the bill for schooling, JMO.
    My only thing about Newmarket boots is this...and I have not owned a pair but have admired them. There has to be a seam between the canvas and the vamp of the boot, as well a seam between the inside calf leather patch, and the outer canvas. Anyone had trouble with that seam coming unraveled? Leather to leather is one thing, but leather to canvas might be a challenge with regular wear, as in daily schooling. Just curious