The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Cool On a saddle hunt...

-sigh- My saddle does not fit my horse.

So I haven't bought a saddle in years and I am not sure exactly what I'm looking for and feel a little overwhelmed.

My mare is a slab-sided TB but takes a wide tree. I am itty-bitty (5'1 100lbs) and like a medium deep seat and prefer a 16".

After checking out all of the saddles for sale in my own barn (from other boarders) my biggest problem iseems that the wide tree saddles tend to fit well enough through the gullet but the panels are too big/wide for her back. I have no idea if I explained that in a way that can be understood...

Any ways I am going to be getting a saddle fitter out here eventually but until then I figured I'd ask COTH. Has anyone been in a similar situation and have found a saddle that worked?
    “It's about the horse and that's it.” - GM

!! is the new .

Sounds like me.. although my guy is anything but slab sided.
    He is wide through the spine and shoulders, but medium across the ribs (wide spinal channel, medium sprung ribs).
    So, you need a saddle that is wide at the tree points and through the channel (gullet) but not wide across the panels.
    That is how I have been describing my needs and most saddle fitters seem to understand what I am asking for.... yet I have yet to find one that is really awesome.

If you find one, let me know!

I've got a Jaguar right now. Not sure to keep it and make do or sell it (it's brand new) and try again.
    I've heard of a HDR Quarter Horse but have no idea how those fit. Now, I HATE HDR, but whatever fits is what my guy will be wearing.

I'm waiting on having one custom made, as he's only just turned 4, but CWD will be able to fit him when I'm (he's) ready. Jaguar also said they could do one for him, as could Schleese and Regal.

I am have HDR close contact for sale, 16.5 medium tree with pencil knee rolls, cleaned after evry ride and kept in a a/c tack room, if yu are interested please let me know. I am only selling it b/c it doesn't fit my boy and I am looking for an event saddle!
    No Worries!

my experience with the HDR line of saddles is that the wide isn't too shabby, but the rear panels are more angled (ie more A-frame when viewed from the back), and that sounds like something you need. Now, whether the overall shape from front to back is good (they tend to be on the flatter side, but not board-flat) is yet another fit dimension, one that you didn't mention.

There is a wide range of HDR saddles, meaning a wide range of prices, and AFAIK, the quality does tend to go up with the price. So, that's a place to start at least.

I also found the Collegiate saddles to be more angled than flat, but they are not as angled as the HDR.

...wide through the spine and shoulders, but medium across the ribs (wide spinal channel, medium sprung ribs).
    So, you need a saddle that is wide at the tree points and through the channel (gullet) but not wide across the panels.
    This is the exact description of my mare.

I'll look into the HDRs and the collegiate.

Thanks!
    “It's about the horse and that's it.” - GM

!! is the new .

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by JumpIt
    After checking out all of the saddles for sale in my own barn (from other boarders) my biggest problem iseems that the wide tree saddles tend to fit well enough through the gullet but the panels are too big/wide for her back. I have no idea if I explained that in a way that can be understood...
    Have you tried sitting a medium tree with a wide gullet on her? If the issue is that she likes a really wide gullet (lots of space for her spine and withers) and not that she actually likes a wide tree, you may have more options, depending on your price range.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

*waves at Renn*
    what saddles do you find have med tree/wide gullets? 'Cus I"m going loopy trying to find any here.

JumpIt, I find the Collegiates and HDR have rather narrow gullets, and those taper back to a very narrow gullet under the seat, unless you look at the HDR Pro in a wide. Most gullets I see run around 2" clearance under the waist. It's hard to find even a good 3", which is what really attracted me to the CWDs.

I've just got a Bates Caprilli with the easy-change gullets, shall see this week if it fits.

*Probably* my Jag wide fits and it's just not broken in enough yet to feel soft around his shoulder. Plus, my guy will get wider through the ribs, although not sure if yours will at this age/stage, JI.

Update on the Bates: OMG YUCK!!!

Maybe it fit the beast OK, but it was terrible for me. I tried the Caprilli A/P b/c the tack shop didn't have a CC. That's OK.. I *love* A/P saddles for the most part, mine have all been gorgeous creations. I guess I now see the no-purpose analogy!

Could only ride for 15 mins, will try other gullets tomorrow, seems to fit the horse well, enough room in the wither but not overly wide on the back, and jr. riders at our barn love their Bates (which are Caprilli CC). Maybe there is that much difference in the balance? I loved all my old Wintec APs.

So to the OP. maybe a Bates w/ the gullets will work for you?

There is no comparing the balance of a Bates CC to that of the AP

Default I wasted my horses back and money -- Go County and have it fitted

I really think if you have the odd fit --nothing off the shelf will probaly fit they way you need. I finally broke down and fotted my horse. I can fit his shoulders easily but panels ---- I definetly had to flock to fit him correctly. What a difference a real fitted saddle has made.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    There is no comparing the balance of a Bates CC to that of the AP
    This is good to know! I figured there had to be a major diff, seeing as the Maddens are supposed to endorse the CC, and our jrs love them. Have you ridden in both yourself?

Well, this may be more than you want to spend - it was more than I wanted to spend, but I got so annoyed that I coughed it up - but the Antares Spooner (off the shelf, not custom) does come in a wide tree. My horse sounds very different than yours, so I am not sure if it would work for your horse's medium parts. But it does have a medium-deep seat, and is very nicely balanced...

I love my County!

Quote Originally Posted by OnyxThePony View Post
    This is good to know! I figured there had to be a major diff, seeing as the Maddens are supposed to endorse the CC, and our jrs love them. Have you ridden in both yourself?
    Updating my own post- rode in both the AP (BLEACH yuck yuck gawdawful) and a student's CC. CC was way better. May work for the OP as the tree and gullet are wide but the panels are pretty narrow.

You've figured it out I had a Bates CC, so rode in that. Never rode in the AP. However, it's clear from looking at any picture of the AP that the balance is very different.