The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where to find custom spurs for tall person?

My daughter is 6 feet tall and rides a 15 h Arab. I know I've seen spurs that go up the back of the boot a couple of inches for really tall people. I've searched a little on the internet and can't find what I'm looking for. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

I'm tall and like my spurs higher on my boots. I buy mens spurs and straps.
    They are wide enough to fit over the boot and I adjust the straps to make the spur rest higher.

Swan neck spurs like the Spanish Riding School riders wear. I have a pair by Herm Sprenger.

Lusoluv - do you have a website?
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

Thanks, I just found that myself. Along with finding other swan-necked spurs for much cheaper!

Althought I remember seeing something extreme years ago on Ian Millar when he rode Big Ben, maybe? It wasn't a swan-necked spur, it was more like the spur neck went straight up the back of the boot 3 inches and then poked out. Hmm.
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

I'd have to see a photo as I can't think of what those might be called. He's a really tall guy, though.

If it helps you at all - I am only 5'9" but am all leg. I'm dumpy looking - short torso/short waisted but have to have long/custom flaps on my saddles.

When I wore those swan neck spurs I was very slender so my weight wasn't a problem - but the horse was 15h. Barely. He did not take up my leg much and I used to joke that if he tried to dump me I could just take my feet out of the stirrups and stand up.

I was able to use my leg correctly.

We kid my daughter that she almost needs roller skates to keep her feet from dragging. She can almost hook her ankles together under his belly!

The spurs are needed to tell him to pick up his old man belly and come round. She using the nubby Prince of Wales ones right now but I thought "taller" spurs might help - she would have to reach so far.

Thanks.
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

Buy a bigger horse...
    Teach your daughter to use a whip or two...

...the swan neck spurs used to be illegal in dressage competition if the neck pointed up. I don't know if that rule still exists.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Good to know. I've also seen very long spurs, nearly 2 inches.
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

As of 2/09, swan neck spurs ARE legal.

http://www.usdf.org/docs/competition...nspections.pdf

Thanks for the heads up.
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

Just as a note I've noticed that the prince of wales spurs are some of the hardest to use. Even for me and I'm 5'4". I would recommend something that goes straight out instead of curving down like some type of rowels.

thanks for the reference Twiliath.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

It says swan neck spurs are legal, but then it says the shank must point down... Wouldn't that apply to swan necks too? If not, then what's the point of having a rule that they point down? Anybody know if swan necks must be pointed down as well?

Quote Originally Posted by bort84 View Post
    It says swan neck spurs are legal, but then it says the shank must point down... Wouldn't that apply to swan necks too? If not, then what's the point of having a rule that they point down? Anybody know if swan necks must be pointed down as well?
    The photos of the swan necks show them in their proper position... I'd assume that they are fine as is... but perhaps one of the dressage gurus will jump in to verify this.

I'm 5'10" and lots of leg also. I use a dressage whip when needed (ride a small Arab (14.2) mare in lessons - my own horse is 16h) but haven't had to resort to using spurs on the lesson mare. For my own "deadhead", I've got an assortment of spurs. I love my rollerball ones.
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

It just seems odd to me that they'd allow swan neck spurs to be worn the way they are supposed to be (upright) but don't allow other spurs to have the arm pointing up... I always thought that was a kind of strange rule anyway, even stranger if they are now allowing swan necks.

Totally a guess, but maybe because the head of the swan neck is rounded, it's allowed to be pointed up. Some spurs are curved downward but have a point at the bottom. If you turn them upside down, the pointy part digs in, rather than the curved-downward shank. Did that make sense?
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

What's Up Guest

Swan necks are completely legal ... because they are made for the situation described ... my husband is 6'7 almost 6'8 and all three of his horses are above 17 hands and to use his leg appropriately on the Oldenburg that really looks more like a TB he needs to use swan necks.

The answer isn't always a bigger horse or learning to use a whip (that is an additional aid to the leg not instead of if you can't get your leg on! ... sometimes it is about finding a way to make it work).

M

Thank you, What's Up. You ride the horse you have. Lendon Gray rode small horses, too. What spurs she used, I don't know. But I'm sure the owner of Seldom Seen and Last Scene wasn't about to get Lendon bigger horses!
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

Quote Originally Posted by bort84 View Post
    The NECK of a swan neck spur points UP. But the actual SHANK (the part that pokes the horse) points DOWN.

Swan neck spurs are (and have been as long as I have been reading the rule book) legal.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).