The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default A Select Sale at WEG 2010 to showcase North American Bred Horses

M. O'Connor quote from another thread:

"WEG is the type of event where the draw is not just "local" to the host country, so the sponsor base isn't by any means restricted to domestic businesses.
    When KY won the bid for WEG our sponsor base here was very healthy and the economy was going strong; at least equestrian sports are populated at the top by those who have felt a minimal impact from the downturn, even if some are feeling a pinch in having to cough up the funds for tickets (I didn't even attempt to get any--if I go I will have to be on the volunteer list).

Keep in mind that tickets will go on sale world wide, and if the dollar stays weak, traveling here will offer a good value
    ". "If someone was smart, there would be a select sale featuring the best North American-bred horses; is this in the works"

There is plenty of time to organize a sale if one isn't already in the works!
    ~ Bill Rube ~
    http://www.bydesignfarm.com
    Check us out on Facebook

I thought someone was going to organize one but I haven't heard anything for a while. It is definitely something that should be put in place. I would be happy to help, just not sure where to even begin! I have too much on my plate to take it on entirely, but am definitely game to help out however I can...
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

Back in October of 2008, and several times even before that, I wrote:

Oct. 12, 2008, 10:59 PM
    Joanne

I've brought this up a couple of times before. If you can't get the buyers to go to you, go to where possible buyers are.

2010 World Equestrian Games is a really good venue. Have a nice facility chosen close to the park, have horses of all disciplines available. You have a tremendous customer base going to those games. Attendance: 600000-700000!

I plan on going to the games. I would certainly go give it a look

I'd go to it!

How many COTH breeders would be intersted in it?

This is a great idea, in theory. WHERE would you put all the sale horses, when every other stall at the facility and in the near vicinity is full with competitors? Ditto, Dressage at Devon and other big shows.

It is turning out to be an extremely expensive venue, all the hotelrooms in the area are bought up to be resold at 5-10 times the regular prices, the vendors booths are extremely expensive, tickets are extremely expensive. I have heard from several disappointed Europeans and organizations who planned to organize a group that it is not affordable and they already canceled their efforts. Breed organizations who planned to be their with a booth had to cancel plans at $9000 for a small space. Kind of sad...
    www.immunallusa.com
    www.rainbowequus.com Home of stallions that actually produced champion hunter, jumper and dressage offspring and now also champion eventers

We were up there a few weeks ago and were told that they are having a very difficult time getting sponsors lined up for certain disciplines. They are having the most success with jumping and reining because those sports attract large amounts of spectators, but other sports are not faring so well. They are also a bit disorganized regarding packages for general corporate sponsors.

Edgar is absolutely right... the cost factor would/will be astounding at this venue.
    ~ Bill Rube ~
    http://www.bydesignfarm.com
    Check us out on Facebook

I've read on these forums that people got stuck with paying the balance of a total of $2500 to retrieve tickets on which they had put a deposit - with no final price listed. Now the hotels are being sold out to scalpers?? - yes scalpers!! and the hotel prices will be 9 to 10 times the actual cost of the rooms??? And of course food and parking and everything else will be way up too. This is WAY above what has been reported as prices for going to the WEG in Europe. I'll wait for it to go back to Europe before I go.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

Quote Originally Posted by DennisM View Post
    This is a great idea, in theory. WHERE would you put all the sale horses, when every other stall at the facility and in the near vicinity is full with competitors? Ditto, Dressage at Devon and other big shows.
    Fasig-Tipton. It is literally five minutes from the horse park.

Just a suggestion, mind you. I can't begin to imagine the logistics of organizing such a sale.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Maybe this something that Professional Auction Co. should be looking into???
    Gates Equestrian
    National Champion Dan Patch sire of USEF/USHJA winning ponies!
    [url]www.gateseqsmfponies.webs.com/

Would this be something for the group which formed after the 30 day test to look in to?
    Would European registries have any motive to support a successful American auction?
    Just a thought.....
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
    This is WAY above what has been reported as prices for going to the WEG in Europe. I'll wait for it to go back to Europe before I go.
    Next WEG will be held in Normandy in 2014, you will be most welcomed
    "If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster, And treat those two imposters just the same"
    Rudyard Kipling
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Quartz...26013000796803

Quote Originally Posted by andy.smaga View Post
    Next WEG will be held in Normandy in 2014, you will be most welcomed
    I am going to that one.

I don't really see any sale being successful unless it was held within the park in the Equine Village for example, and that is not going to happen.

People are not going to attend an off site sale right before or right after the WEG, and people will not generally go anywhere off site. They will be tired, want to beat lines for dinner, need to get back to the hotel, want to hit the bars or not want to fight traffic, weather could be bad, etc. All of the activity will be inside the park.

I attended a sale at FT years ago that was held around the Rolex 3 day. Some nice horses, very low bids, most went home without meeting reserve. The facility is nothing to get excited about. It is certainly not as nice as the indoor rings at KHP.

Zaffiro, let me assure you that Fasig-Tipton is no longer "nothing to get excited about". Are you sure you aren't thinking about Tattersalls?
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton