The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Show shirts for monkey arms?

While I was at Dover, I got a little ahead of myself (as in I just started up riding again after many years off and will so not be showing any time soon) and tried on some show shirts...only to find that my damn arms are too long for everything. WOE!! Does anyone know of any brands out there that make shirts w/ super-long sleeves? I keep having visions of eventually having to buy two of each shirt and like cutting off half the arms on one and sewing them onto the arms of the other....

Again, getting ahead of myself, but till - if I cant find any now, I bet I won't in the future!

Must they be the standard cotty/poly blend H/J type show shirt?

The reason I ask is because I'm a huge fan of the Shire shirts. They are a jersey knit and come in plain white, and yellow with a white mandarin/show collar and white cuffs.

I use them for hunting and though I don't have monkey arms - I'm tall and I do like my cuffs/arms long. Mine have stood up well to years of foxhunting. I wear them for all but the coldest days.

I've got long arms, and have found that Mikus are cut pretty generously through the shoulders and arms.

I have the long monkey arms too so have the exact same problem. I have trouble with show jacket sleeves as well.

One solution I had was to buy the show jacket a size or two too large, and then have it tailored to fit me. That way the sleeves start out long enough, and the rest of the jacket can be taken in where needed. I think I'm going to try the same thing with the show shirts... I hope it will work. Good luck!

I wear short sleeved show shirts because they are under a jacket anyway. would that be appropriate for you?

Quote Originally Posted by MargaretW View Post
    I wear short sleeved show shirts because they are under a jacket anyway. would that be appropriate for you?
    That would have been my thought.
    If you need cuffs to show on the sleeves, take some from an old shirt ans attach them to the jacket!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I wear Essex show shirts and I truly have monkey arms. TS shirts are the worst for people like us.