The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation Best place to post an ad for a Stray Dog**UPDATE: "Sadie" is up for adoption!!**

My boyfriend brought home an adorable loose dog last night he found wandering on the road. No collar...no microchip. She's an unspayed female. He asked home-owners around the area, but nobody knew the dog. The dog has a nice, soft coat, and clipped nails so I'm guessing it's somebodies dog. It rode fine in the car with him all day at work, and seems very gentle and not afraid of people at all...although, she does sometimes act a little aggresive towards our 3 dogs but seems to be getting better. I posted an ad on Craigslist, but does anybody have any other ideas for what we can do to help find her owner?

We are in the Rochester, NY area if that helps. If we can't find her owner within a few days, we'll have to bring her to the local Humane Society as we already have 3 dogs, and a small house, and can't afford to take on another one. But we want to give it a try first and let her stay on the comforts of our house.

Thanks!
    Last edited by BoysNightOut; Aug. 1, 2009 at 07:18 PM.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

How about taking her by the local vets, groomers, boarding kennels? They might recognize her. And maybe you could put up a poster.

Good luck finding her owner!

edit to add - oh, and while I know it feels nicer to keep her in the house with you rather than take her to the local pound, her owners might miss her if they visit the pound today, and you take her in after a week. I've been told that it's better to turn the dog into the pound, and then call to check up on her and maybe spring her if she goes unclaimed and is in danger of being pts. Obviously, this isn't great advice for a pound which euthanize quickly, but in my area they usually get at least a couple weeks.
    The last time I found a stray, I reluctantly took him into the pound, called back the next day and the owner had already been by looking and took him home

If you haven't already, I would definitely call local vets and humane societies with a description of her (or drop off a photo!) since those are the places someone missing their dog is likely to look. Especially if it was a tourist traveling through who may not know the area. Our local radio would also announce (for free) that there was a missing dog, so you could try that, too.
    Good luck!

Also call the non-emergency police and ask if they've gotten any calls, or ask to leave a description of the dog.

Other than that, get some nice neon paper, make a BILLION copies of some "lost dog" flyers, and plaster them all over the neighborhood you found her. On telephone poles, trees, near main intersections, etc, etc. If it's a friendly/safe neighborhood, continue going door to door as well.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

If the dog is purebred, look up the national or local specialty clubs for that breed (http://www.akc.org/clubs/search/inde...nal&display=on) and notify them -- they may be able to find the breeder and thus the owner. Local All-breed clubs may also be able to help find the owner (http://www.akc.org/clubs/search/index.cfm).

You can also contact purebred rescue groups for that breed who may be able to help (http://www.akc.org/breeds/rescue.cfm).

These club networks can often (particularly in the less common breeds) do a lot to find a home for a rescue dog or track down an owner.

Make up some flyers and post them at local vet hospitals, pet shops, tack shops, feed stores, coffee shops, hardware stores...etc. You could also ask mailmen and delivery people if they recognize the dog -- hand them that flyer with a good photo on it.

I disagree with taking her to the pound IF you *can* keep her temporarily -- not only is it highly stressful to the dog and she may well contract kennel cough (or other illnesses), but overworked staff have been known to euthanize an animal mistakenly on occasion. Take a flyer with a photo instead and the owner can ID the dog that way.

And THANK YOU for taking this dog in and helping her.

Default www.petfinder.com

Search the lost postings here:

http://www.petfinder.com/classifieds...ser_state=user

And you can post in the "found" section of the site.

If you make flyers (which I think are a good idea), be sure to withhold at least one or two pieces of information that you can use to verify that this really is the dog owner and not someone just wanting to pick her up for whatever reason.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

Thanks for all the helpful advice!

I posted an ad on Craigslist, contacted all local shelters/vet offices/animal control officers, and drove all around the town we found her in for a few hours, knocking on doors, stopping at local businesses.

Unfortunatly, nobody knew her, and no reports were made to any shelters/vets/animal control regarding a missing dog fitting her description.

Since I can't afford to feed her much more, and she's not getting along very well with our 3 dogs...I took her to our local animal shelter, which has a wonderful facility, is very well known in our area, and I know will do their best to find her owner, and adopt her out if needed.

They said she was a very nice looking dog, and was very young...so if nobody claims her, she will be spayed & put up for adoption. She will get a temperment test tomorrow. She really is very sweet and friendly, so they didn't think they would have too much trouble finding her a home.

I felt horrible dropping her off, but I can't keep her any longer. I tried my best for the past 3 days, and was really hopeful somebody would claim her...but it just didn't happen. I will hold out hope she finds the right, new home.

Just wish I didn't feel so guilty.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Quote Originally Posted by BoysNightOut View Post
    Just wish I didn't feel so guilty.
    Don't feel guilty, you did the right thing.

I'll share one of my many stray dog stories. A few years ago during a very bad thunderstorm, out of nowhere appeared a nice female cattle dog that was obviously scared out of her wits, and desperately trying to find a way out of my fenced in back yard. Evidently she forgot how she got in, which would be the big open side next to the garage where we park the cars, and no fence.

I went out in the pouring rain to see if I could catch her, and when I got close, she cowered, growled, and bared her teeth at me. I tried opening the people gate to the pasture, figuring she could figure that out, and tried to "herd" her in that general direction, no luck, and I could not leave the gate open or risk having one or more horses loose or in my swimming pool.

An hour later she was still there, so I called AC, they caught her and took her to the pound. I found out a few weeks later that she had been adopted, this from the AC person that came to the farm again to get yet another stray (hence the reason that I am on a first name basis with our AC personel).

A month later, I was massaging one of my neighbors horses, and she told me about our other neighbor losing a nice female cattle dog. I told her about my experience, and she said, don't worry about it, he never puts collars on his dogs, or tags, or ties them up, and if he didn't call the pound to look for her, such is life.

I still felt guilty, hopefully she got a good home.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Exclamation Update!

"Sadie" is now up for adoption. If anybody on CoTH lives in Western, NY area and would consider giving this sweetie a home, the link below is to her adoption page. She is at Lollypop Farm. They don't have a picture of her yet, but she's definatly a cutie.

Guess they never found an owner.....hopefully somebody will give her a good home! She really is a good dog....I just don't have the money or room to take on another dog.

http://www.lollypop.org/org/org51.as...nfo&id=8127577
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010