The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spinoff of Vet School - Vet Tech School then Vet School?

So the vet school thread has had me thinking a bit. I've had a lot of people tell me that they think I would be a great vet, and it's something I've always thought about a bit. I don't have a lot of college credits (read *maybe* 10 hours) due to being overwhelmed by being a very small town gal going to a very big university where I knew nobody. I'm now 24 and have a decent job with a decent career outlook, but doesn't give me a lot of time with the animals.

Soooo.... I've kinda been thinking about going back to school and working my way through so that I can apply to vet school. I'd love to hear opinions from all those vets that I see over on the other thread about what would be the best course (ie: bachelors degree) to get this accomplished. I was thinking about maybe going to vet tech school and getting my associates, that way I can work with some vets while I get my bachelors in vet tech, and then applying to a vet school.

Or would getting an undergrad degree in something like animal sciences be better? Either way I would probably do as much as I can online or in night classes so that I can keep my current job as long as possible (to get bills payed off has much as I can) before going back to school full time.

I would definately love any advice or thoughts that ya'll have!
    Member of "Ride an Event(er)" Clique: If you haven't ridden an event(er)...you haven't really ridden at all!

At least at Ohio State, the prerequisite classes you would need to apply to vet school would be undergraduate level courses. I do not believe that vet tech classes would qualify. It is still good to work for a vet to get experience before applying so that you have some idea of what is involved. Experience can be varied- small animal, riding with a large animal or equine vet, laboratory animals, zoo medicine, shelter medicine, public health. You don't need to do all of those as a full time or part time or even paid job- just so that you see what they do. Good luck with your future plans!
    "I have been Foolish and Deluded," said he, "and I am a Bear of No Brain at All." - Winnie the Pooh

Go for a solid B.S. in some science either biology, animal science that would serve you well if you go into a related field.

This was exactly my plan when I went back to college. If I remember correctly(we're talking 15 years ago here) there was going to be close to an extra years worth of classes I'd need to satisfy the requirements for vet school. I think biochem may have been one of the classes. Sorry I don't remember more.
    I started going to tech school, got a job as a tech when I was a sophomore and loved it. By the time I had graduated with my BS in Veterinary Technology I was so burnt out from going to school but LOVED being a tech. I never did go to vet school and don't regret my decision at all!

Here's a link to the pre-reqs at Ohio State. Any school probably has similar pre-reqs.

http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/2537.htm

I teach in a program that has a 2 year AS degree that meets AVMA accreditation, so 2 year grads can take the vet tech exams.

They can then return for 2 more years and get a BS in vet science. (more in depth stuff like clinical nutrition, advanced nursing techniques, biochem, etc.)

But there's a prevet option that has the 2 year vet tech degree "built in" to the 2nd and 3rd years of the 4 year prevet bachelors curriculum, which gives the prevet students the option of licensure as a vet tech while filling all the prereqs for most of the vet schools in the US.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

I have a somewhat different perspective to offer, but it might be of interest to you.

My undergrad work is all in Community and Human Services, Sociology and the Arts. Years ago I pursued some Vet Tech classes and I am only three classes and an externship away from licensure. The courses I took were very specialized, by that I mean they are designed to send you into the work force and to learn the rest of your skills and to continue your education while you work. They are not "Every day" skills either because, and let's be honest here, unless you are a Tech or work in an animal hospital or have a farm you aren't going to need to know how to set up a fecal float, understand the gestation of parasites, how to assist in a surgical procedure or how to do a dental on a cat or scope a horse.

I guess what I am saying is this...my other course work however has set me up to pursue MANY career paths. While the Tech classes have set me up to work as a tech. If I was considering the possibility of Vet school I would research the undergrad requirements of ALL the schools out there because entry is SERIOUSLY competitive. You will see that the majority look for undergrad work that is heavy on biological and animal sciences, but not specialized coursework. There are programs out there, like Ghazzu mentioned, but even still the pre-vet curriculum is science based rather than skills based.

So many decisions!!!!! Sending best wishes as you pursue your dreams!
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Quote Originally Posted by equineartworks View Post
    There are programs out there, like Ghazzu mentioned, but even still the pre-vet curriculum is science based rather than skills based.
    The combination of skills and science is one of the things that appeals to me (and to the students in our program.)
    We have a small animal clinic on campus, so our students get hands on experience while they're in school, but also the theory behind it. They're also required to do a number of hours of externship/preceptorship.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

The school near me has a program like the one that Ghazzu works for. In the Vet tech department, they have a 2 year degree option, a 4 year degree option and a pre-vet school program. I've pasted the clip from the college's website about the department.

"The Veterinary Science Department at Fort Valley State University offers three programs:

Two-Year Veterinary Technology (A.S. Degree)
    Four-Year Veterinary Technology (B.S. Degree)
    Pre-Veterinary Medicine "

They also offer Animal Science and Biology. Would it be better to perhaps major in Animal Science and minor in Biology? I want to make sure that whatever I choose to do will maximize my chances about being accepted into vet school.

Thank you sooooo much for your help!
    Member of "Ride an Event(er)" Clique: If you haven't ridden an event(er)...you haven't really ridden at all!