The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Default Repacking whl bearings on trailer-HUGE estimate?!

Ok--I'll admit, I have done little maintenance beyond the usual with my 2H BP steel slant load. It is in pretty good condition, but it's sprung some leaks, I knocked a running light off on a branch and it needs a new electrical break connection plug. I am past due to have the bearings repacked....

I got my estimate from a reputable horse trailer repair place, and they want $750, parts and labor, to clean and repack my bearings and clean the spindles(?). Is that really high or am I just out of the loop on the cost of things???

Sigh...there goes my horse show budget if that is the case, and I do want my horse to be safe, so the trailer comes first...but seriously? $750???
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

OMG, $750? No. I live in The Sticks, NY, and have a great small-time guy who works on mine. I can't recall that ever being more than $100.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I'm more along the lines of mvp's estimate. I had the bearings repacked along with the lights rewired, new tail lights, and some spot welding for just over $300 in total.

Wow, that's insane! My trailer place charges $65 per axle to repack bearings, and I thought even that was high (so I'm shopping around or doing it myself).

$750 is not even in the ballpark. Was there some sort of misunderstanding over the phone?

I have it done at Les Schwab for around $125 or so. Isn't there one of those in every incorporated town in WA?

Quote Originally Posted by hb View Post
    I have it done at Les Schwab for around $125 or so. Isn't there one of those in every incorporated town in WA?
    Ditto this. I have had good luck with Les Schwab and my trailer (and truck).
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

It cost me $80 last fall.

Get another estimate, even haul to another town if you have to. That is way high. Just did my wheel bearings (repacking and spindle cleaning, even had the brake drums replaced all the way around (two axles) and all that cost me 450.00 on a 3H GN Trail-et trailer.

Bearing repacking and spindle cleaning should not be 750.00!

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    Ok--I'll admit, I have done little maintenance beyond the usual with my 2H BP steel slant load. It is in pretty good condition, but it's sprung some leaks, I knocked a running light off on a branch and it needs a new electrical break connection plug. I am past due to have the bearings repacked....

I got my estimate from a reputable horse trailer repair place, and they want $750, parts and labor, to clean and repack my bearings and clean the spindles(?). Is that really high or am I just out of the loop on the cost of things???

Sigh...there goes my horse show budget if that is the case, and I do want my horse to be safe, so the trailer comes first...but seriously? $750???
    I had to have one done last year.........bill was 200 bucks. And that included the inspection it got while it was in and a battery for the brakes.........thought that was just one tire. Still.........sounds very high............

My DH does it for me and actual cost is well under $100 bucks, way under as I recall. Also it hardly takes any time at all. $750 is CRAZY! I would call back and check that this isn't some misunderstanding and if the price you heard was right- find someplace else!!!
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

WTF?

I live in one of the most expensive regions in the country and I am charged around 100-125$.

Run, don't walk - RUN. Run Away!!!!

ETA - If you need new wheel bearings the cost would be more but not even close to 750$. If they are repacking the bearings they are removing the bearings and sitting there with a tub of grease and working the grease into the bearings by hand. You're physically forcing grease into the bearing itself. I've done it. Many times - on my own vehicles as well as when restoring old ones.

I'd rather have a root canal.

Often what they'll do is just insert grease into the zerk fitting - that is fine but it is not the same as actually removing and repacking a bearing. Lubing is something you can do at home, is very easy and inexpensive.

Sorry to link to Wiki but here is a good picture of what a zerker fitting for a bearing may look like (this is just an example for you) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Schmiernippel01.jpg

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Thank you!! I thought it sounded ridiculously high, I have a written estimate by the way. I am going to call around on Monday and get an appointment somewhere else, for sure, and ask them to explain why it cost so much on the estimate--maybe there is a mistake.

Les Schwab in every town--no kidding! Can't swing a dead cat here in the PNW without smacking a LS. Our local version is suspect however, as they have done some inferior work on my truck and car over the last few years (they held my truck hostage, telling me that they couldn't, in good conscience, allow me to drive it away with the tires it had on (they weren't rated for that size truck---duh, that's why I brought it in, you idiots--but you wouldn't discuss any tire but your top dollar model) and I had to have Mr. CC go in and get it out of their clutches, as they considered me "too stupid and female" to understand, I'm sure. They totally lost my business--forever.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Reputable???? Not any longer. Any mechanic can do it. No need to take it to a horse trailer place.

EZLube hubs save a lot of time and money and cost about 10 bucks more a piece to buy to start with.
    http://www.dexteraxle.com/e_z_lube_system
    It takes me about 10 seconds per hub to change the grease in them. I use two different colors of grease so I can tell when the old grease is out and the new in.

JSwan, that's a low speed hub not found on trailers.

I had bearings repacked including having a couple replaced due to wear, a new non leaking non rusted vent installed and a new bulldog jack put on my trailer and spent $245. AND that was at a trailer repair place were prices might tend to be higher. I got my fanny chewed by a couple of male friends for spending that much to have it done, but they weren't lined up volunteering free or cheap labor to start with, so how was I to know. LOL

Default brakes & bearings

Wow, We only charge around 80-100 to do bearings and adjust the brakes plus any parts we might have to use. Only takes a few hours or less unless there are problems. I'd find another "mechanic."

I'll chime in with everyone else. I recently had my trailer bearings repacked, everything cleaned, a new jack put on my trailer and some other miscellaneous repairs done and the total bill was right around $300.

I got my brakes done for cheaper than that. Sounds way to high. You might want to shop around. Some trailer places like to ripe people off because they don't bother to get an estimate, and sometimes there the only game in town so they charge way to much.
    I want to be like Barbie because that bitch has everything!

$100 is what we paid...the highest price we were quoted was $225. $750 is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom King View Post
    JSwan, that's a low speed hub not found on trailers.
    Tom - I was just trying to show her an example of a zerk fitting. Generally. Sorry for any confusion. If you have a better photo or a link please post it - I just linked to Wiki out of pure laziness.

I agree that this is something any owner can do by themselves; it is very easy to do and only takes a few minutes.