The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Wiring a barn for cameras

I'm currently having a barn built, and I'd like to set it up to put remotely accessible or streaming cameras in the stalls. If you were building a barn, how would you set this up, and what kind of equipment would you need?

Thanks!!!

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Hard wired. www.supercircuits.com has everything you need. Most cctv businesses that I know of buy equipment from them. It's really pretty simple to set up. You can spend as little as possible or as much as you like.

Agreed. Hard wired is by far the least expensive and will produce the highest quality results. Wireless cameras have limited range and their image quality is very iffy, IMO.

Other than that, how you set it up will depend largely on what you are planning on using them for. A deterrent for theft? Get big, obvious cameras in plain view. If a crime happens in your barn, will you want to save the video footage for the police? Make sure you have a good, close-up view of somewhere you're likely to catch the bad person's face (like the barn entrance/exit) or vehicle licence plate number. Do you suspect something "hinky" is happening in your barn? Put in a pinhole/covert camera over the area you suspect.

Etc etc etc.

I would figure out what you want to accomplish and go from there.

Thanks!! mostly monitoring for broodmares, or sick horses, or to be able to just see if my horses really ARE having a party in their stalls at night

Default www.supercircuits.com

This site came up on a previous thread ( I think it was on Trailer cameras). Peruse the site. I found the "how to" pages the most informative. For me it explained what basic limitations and choices so it was a starting place for what type of systems worked for different distances etc.
    http://www.supercircuits.com/How_To_Videos.aspx