The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default When rubber reins get all gummy...

What do you do? Is there a magic potion?

Thanks
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

I don't think so. I know that fly spray really breaks down the rubber, and I think that sweat has a longer term effect.

I HATE the gummies!
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Throw them out. Do not, I repeat, do not stash them in your trunk with your wraps, favorite chaps and a book. Because then they start- for lack of a better word, melting.

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia73 View Post
    Throw them out. Do not, I repeat, do not stash them in your trunk with your wraps, favorite chaps and a book. Because then they start- for lack of a better word, melting.
    I was hoping that that was not the only solution...
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

What about soap and water and a little elbow grease using a toothbrush or small scrub brush? Castile soap and Effax Leder Combi are both good at getting residue off of leather reins, maybe try them? And a vinegar/water combo or baking soda is always good for cleaning most anything.

Rubber reins decompose after awhile, no amount of scrubbing is going to help.

Though once they've started to melt there's really nothing you can do to get them back to their original shape, I do recall using rubbing alcohol last time I had rubber reins get stuck to stuff... I think. It works for Magic Cushion, so perhaps melted reins as well?
    I'd rather be riding!

Didn't I read on this BB that the rubber can be replaced, but only once?

What about the web reins with little bits of leather?

I second the replace the rubber comment - I have a pair of Edgewood reins that I've had the rubber replaced on at least twice. Supposedly, the concern with doing it more than once is that the extra holes in the leather caused by stitching a new set of rubber on will eventually cause the strength of the leather itself to deteriorate, but I'm not sure how much stock I put in that......

Only costs about $50 to replace the rubber, and reins look good as new. At least for the first time, just take them to a tack store or a saddle repair place, and they will get them re-rubbered....

As a maintenance tip, I wipe my rubber reins off regularly either with just a water and a cloth or baby wipes and they seem to last really well. (I have not had mine turn gummy so I am not sure what to do about that- sorry)

As far as web reins, I have been told, but have not personally tried it yet, that you can put them in the washer with leather wash (like for full seat breeches) and they come out like new. I plan on trying it soon The person I heard it from said she had done it with hers though and they looked great, so my guess is it works well. Hers were black though (she rides dressage)- so I don't know if the leather would darken or not.

Quote Originally Posted by earlybird View Post
    What about the web reins with little bits of leather?
    I put those in the regular wash then put Leather therapy or the equivalent on the leather bits when they come out.

No harm that I can see, and I've been doing it for about a decade.
    madeline

These are relatively new reins, no fly spray, no signs of actual wear. Plus they were free, so I'm willing to try more drastic remedies than if I had actually paid for them!
    madeline

I have some rainbow reins that have a small melted spot, not worth spending money on them, but not ready to throw away either - I just wrapped a piece of bit tape over the gummy spot. Maybe vet wrap would work as a quick fix too?
    "I gave my life to become the person I am right now. Was it worth it?”

I have heard saddle soap causes the gummies on the rubber and aids in the deterioration process. I wipe mine with plain water and they seem to last a long time.

I also have taken rubber reins to the saddle repair shop and had the rubber replaced - cost I think $1 per inch.

I don't have a solution for saving them once they've gone gummy, but as for preventative measures, I've always avoided leather-care stuff and glycerine stuff on rubber reins. Wash them off with mild dishsoap and they seem to hold up for ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    These are relatively new reins, no fly spray, no signs of actual wear. Plus they were free, so I'm willing to try more drastic remedies than if I had actually paid for them!
    As others have said, once they start to decompose -- you're screwed. I'm afraid your reins are...terminal.

Don't spend any money trying to fix them, just put that toward new ones.
    Seb
    Aca-Believe it!!

I've had the same pair of rubber reins for 12 years now. Granted, they haven't been used in 6 years, but the rubber on them is still fine. The nubby parts have worn away, but they haven't melted or anything. Aside from wiping the rubber part with water, I never paid the rubber any special attention. They've been sweater on, had fly spray on them, kept in a tack room that did not have the temperature regulated (over 100 in the tack room on most days in the summer), etc. What am I doing right? () Maybe my pair is a freak of nature...
    ***Honorary Member of the "What is BOSS?" Cult...er...CLIQUE***
    ***Prominent Member of the 'Irrelevent Posters Clique'***
    CrayolaPosse ~ Bluegreen

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

I've always just thrown them out. The ones I buy are generally inexpensive enuf that the cost to re-rubber them would be close to the cost of buying new ones.

I suspect that some rubber lasts better than others, all other factors being equal. I also wonder about environmental factors: for example ozone is known to break down rubber, esp in the presence of light.
    The Evil Chem Prof

You can get them re-rubbered, which we do a lot. This is what keeps happening with my favorite pair of reins. I used them (a lot) for a couple of years, then they get a little sticky or the rubber gets slick from use, so off they go to get the rubber re-done. There probably should be a limit, as supposedly it does eventually become unsafe...whatever...I really like this pair of reins!

The best thing you can do to try and prevent an issue is DON'T use soap (a little water is fine), and try not to spray flyspray on them.