The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default hair loss on upper sheath area....and white "mold"

ok, so help me out here. The area that houses the whole package, the horse groin if you will. Whatever.

So, about 7 or more months ago, I noticed my gelding was losing his hair there. Then we got this whitish almost powdery mildewy/mold like substance where the hair loss was. Vet came out to clean his naughty bits (it takes a LOT of drugs to get down there, so this isn't helping the continuing issue). She didn't give me much of an answer, it doesn't seem to bother him, though the hair is still missing, and I still see white "mold" on the outer area.

So--I've been spraying Micro Tek (and minding his hooves), thinking this could be a fungal thing. Doesn't seem to be helping or hindering. We live in a desert with very dry conditions, so it's not rot of any type I wouldn't think.

Got any ideas what this is? Anyone ever see anything like this before? I never have in 35 years. Baffles me.

Oh, and the hairloss doesn't seem to have spread beyond the genital area--no hair loss on his stomach or back, or down the inside of his legs. I'm puzzled
    Ellipses users clique ...
    TGFPT,HYOOTGP

If you live in a hot dry climate maybe the white powdery stuff is salt residue from dried/evaporated sweat. Are there any other symptoms - smell, itchy etc?

good thought, but I doubt it as it started in winter--and it caused the hair to fall out. I'm not putting my head down there to smell because he's fast afoot (that's why I pay to have his sheath cleaned by the vet).....but whatever this is, it's caused hair loss and has left this white residue/mold looking stuff....doesn't bug him, not itchy (that I can tell), and it hasn't spread past his nad pouch.
    Ellipses users clique ...
    TGFPT,HYOOTGP