The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Has anyone used hair dye on a badly stained grey tail?

My mare has been on broodmare duty. Her tail is dark grey at the top and supposed to be white-ish for most of the length of it. Instead, it is the most disgusting shade of brownish-yellow. Quiksilver doesn't help. Dawn dishwashing liquid, Oxyclean, Orvis ... none of it works. It is really badly STAINED.

Has anyone used hair dye in a situation like this? If so - what brand? Any tricks I need to know? Do I need to get hair dye for ethnic hair? Will I need to dye it repeatedly?

Heeeeeelp! thanks in advance.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

Have you tried bluing agent yet? This stuff:
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=991764946

Quote Originally Posted by Ride2Dreams View Post
    Have you tried bluing agent yet? This stuff:
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=991764946
    Isn't that the same as Quiksilver? Or is this more concentrated?
    Thanks for the tip ...

Nothing at all like quiksilver. Bluing is actually an old school (think circa 1930s) that is a whitening agent. When you take it out and put it on something it is literally blue. You keep it on for about 5 minutes (or less test spot a strand of hair to see how long you will need) then rinse it all out. I keep some around but only use it on the worse of the pee/manure stains and it comes out startling white. I do know you can usually find some if you have any "old time" hardware stores around in their housewares section.

It is very concentrated follow the directions on the back for laundry and half the water is how I use it.

go to hair dye section. Fancy full Grey Minx. The bottle used to be Grey with Pink cap new bottles are redish pink and funny shaped. It is not a permanent dye. Workes great. Put on tail after you have washed it. Takes the yellow out. Lasts for a few days. I think it is 5.99 per bottle.

I've used black hair dye on a grey gelding with a black tail that at the mid section was turning a horrid brown. I tried velvet black and EEK... TOO black. So went with plain old black. Stayed in quite well. You can get coupons in the paper. I'd give it a try with your grey too!

Some interesting ideas. I think she would look odd with a black tail, but that Fanci-Full stuff sounds right up my alley.

I really thought that bluing was the active ingredient in Quiksilver, and that's why it is blue -?

I lived on Guam for a few years and the red soil there turned all these white horses red. You could wash it out of their coats but the tails had permanent stains. We leaned that diluted bleach would turn the tails white but it is harsh on the hairs so try it very diluted in a bucket of water, use a little more if needed and condition well afterwards. We would do it once or twice a year for the little horse shows.

I suspect that ammonia may also work and be less damaging. We used it to remove the red stains from web reins and halters. worked well and didn't bleach the color out of the web items. Ammonia in the form of urine was the original whitener used in Roman laundrys to clean the white togas of the wealthy.

chicamuxen

Get old fashioned blueing from the grocery store. Mix enough (a couple tablespoons) in a small bucket water so you have REALLY blue water. Wash her tail really well, rinse, then dip it in the blueing mixture. It will turn her tail a pale blue. When it dries, it will look white.

I do this with my grey horse's disgusting yellow/brown tail (he gets the runs on occasion), and it works every time.

You can also try the WOW whitener- I didn't find it that helpful, but maybe it will work for you.

I found the best results using weekly washing- I used Suave shampoo, got it squeaky clean, then lathered it up with Quik Silver. Left the QS on for 5 minutes, rinsed, did it again. After a couple of weeks there was a big difference.

But I also know that some of the hairs aren't complete lacking in pigment- they are black hairs that are very bleached at the ends.

I dyed my grey horses tail AND mane black to make him look sharper

Before:
    http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...68747398CzheWx

After:
    http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...68747398JCslxV

I put petroleum jelly anywhere I didn't want dyed (like on the neck under the mane) and then used dish soap to get it off.

try betadine scrub, if the others don't work. I've had good luck on socks... not sure about tails.

I had some recent success using natures miracle. Its an enzyme cleaner that is used to clean up after dog and cat urine stains. Works great. But I would also second the bluing, it really makes the white pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Meredith Clark View Post
    I dyed my grey horses tail AND mane black to make him look sharper

Before:
    http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...68747398CzheWx

After:
    http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...68747398JCslxV

I put petroleum jelly anywhere I didn't want dyed (like on the neck under the mane) and then used dish soap to get it off.
    That's quite amazing!
    BeesKnees
    Hunters should be galloping - George Morris

No but I did use black L'Oreal on my mare's mane when it developed a grey patch---she and I called it "just for mares."

You should try sheath cleaner on the tail. It really gets out a lot of manure stains, as I've used it on another person's pony's tail and hind legs when the pony had diarrhea. It really works.

I used WOW on a mane and got it really white, but I have not tried it on a severely stained tail. Also, last year I had to get a shire's white feathers gleaming every day after being out on reddish dirt every night. Bars of Ivory soap worked amazingly well. In England there was a kitchen scrubber called something like Jif or Jiffy, that was the absolute best at getting really bad stains out, but I don't think that you can buy it over here. It had bleach in it and it took the yellow out of some tails I was certain were always going to be stained. If you can get your hands on it, it is the best!

HAve you tried Wisk? It works great on grey/white getting out stains

Thanks everyone! You've given me some great ideas to try.

I used some borrowed EQ Solutions on my grey mare for the first time recently to help dissipate the allergic reaction of a new fly spray per vet's instructions (along with dex and banamine) and was surprised at how clean her tail came. I literally sprayed it on her, waited a few minutes as vet and EQ directions stated, then rinsed...nothing more. It was great because I didn't have to rub soap over her body that was swollen and covered in welts/hives yet EQ still did its job. I've since ordered EQ Solutions from Valley Vet (best prices and free freight if you spend over $60) to use instead of the typical bucket of suds and sponge. The stuff was amazing and left her shiny, soft and clean, including the hind legs and tail where urine tends to stain them.

Re-reading this I know it sounds like a commercial but I was just pleased with the results of a product that I didn't plan on using, but now have to have it.

I friend of mine's horse was born a chestnut and when he started to grey his tail never really went white it always stayed a bit reddish. It appeared that was his color. He had a few patches on his body that always stayed reddish but the rest of him was pretty white.

So if she was born a chestnut you may never get the tail white since that isn't its actual color.