The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question How to store feed for a long time? Ideas?

So I need to pick up a bag of Triple Crown Senior tomorrow. I'll be using it only to mix supplements for my mare, she'll get about 1 cup per day. She'll be the only horse using the bag, so one bag is going to last me a LONG LONG time.

I'm afraid that the feed will go stale/spoil? by the time I finish it. At only 1 cup a day, it will most likely last me a good 2 months or so, maybe more.

Anyone have a good way to store feed, specifically a "sticky" feed like Senior, in a way where it will stay fresh, not get dried out or stale, nor spoil/mold?
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I don't know your barn layout, or if horse is at home. I would get a small garbage can and keep the majority of feed in the house(a/c) so it doesn't go bad and then get a plastic rubber maid tote that can be kept in the barn. This way you only have a small amount that is subject to the heat. In the winter I wouldn't worry about it if it is sealed in a garbage can.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

A cool, dry closet, inside a 'tuppermaid' type container or two, the kinds made for dog food are ideal as they actually seal, but a better quality storage container should be able to sit in a cupboard just fine.

Winter of course isn't a problem around here, everything freezes.

In summer I store my whole flax seed in 5 gallon buckets with lids, but I get to them in 3 mos or less. Still that works. 3 or 4 buckets for 50lbs depending on density of what you're putting in them.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I keep my feed in the house next to my couch.

I had some diet balancer left over that I used last year. I put it in gallon zip locks and stuck it in the freezer.

Actually this year all of my supps went into my fridge. It's just too hot outside and everything is baking. yuck.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

So it sounds like a tupperware container inside the house is the best idea, then?

I store mine in the loft, in rubbermaid trash cans. I buy about once a month and have no problems. Perhaps store half of it at the barn, and the other half in the house or at home?

TC Sr isn't that sticky or molasses-y; as long as it's rodent-proof you shouldn't have problems except possibly in the most hot, humid months.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by monstrpony View Post
    I store mine in the loft, in rubbermaid trash cans. I buy about once a month and have no problems. Perhaps store half of it at the barn, and the other half in the house or at home?

TC Sr isn't that sticky or molasses-y; as long as it's rodent-proof you shouldn't have problems except possibly in the most hot, humid months.
    I'm thinking about storing most of it at home, and just keeping a gallon size ziploc bag of it at the barn. That would probably be about a week's supply I think.

The best grain storage I ever had was an old, non-working chest type deep freezer. I could either just pour out the grain bags into it, or set them up side by side if I had a couple different horses eating different things. The grain never got hot in the summer and would rarely freeze in the winter. NO bugs, rodents, etc, and the horses couldn't get the freezer seal open the few times they broke into the feed area. I stored supplements in there too, and horse cookies. It kept the rodent population at the barn waaay down because there was nothing for them to eat. All the crumbs dropped into the bottom of the freezer, and all I had to do was stick a shop-vac down in between the bottoms of the bags and all was clean!
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

Freezer. And by that I don't mean a non-working one.

Feed can and will get stale and can also (in the case of those with added fat/oil) go rancid.

If you just get some freezer bags and put it in a freezer, it will keep much better.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    Freezer. And by that I don't mean a non-working one.

Feed can and will get stale and can also (in the case of those with added fat/oil) go rancid.

If you just get some freezer bags and put it in a freezer, it will keep much better.
    That would make meal times interesting...

"honey this granola is kinda strange"
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Yeah, um....I forget...I am used to living alone. LOL It does not shock me that there are horsey and dog things in my fridge/freezer. Note to self: before having the new BF over again, perhaps I should move some things around? Nah, he's got dog stuff in his fridge too.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    Yeah, um....I forget...I am used to living alone. LOL It does not shock me that there are horsey and dog things in my fridge/freezer. Note to self: before having the new BF over again, perhaps I should move some things around? Nah, he's got dog stuff in his fridge too.
    Yeah, freezing isn't an option for me. I live in an apartment with 2 non-horsey roommates. Freezer space is at a real premium already, and I don't think they want to allot any room for my horse's food.