The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default traveling thru VA?

This came thru my pug rescue list, because we use the rest areas to meet when we're moving puggies......

http://virginiadot.org/travel/map-rest-area.asp

Hope this isn't a permanent thing.

According to the news, yes, it is permanent. Back in the days VA was rural, they needed the public restrooms. VA believes the areas being closed can now be serviced thorough private ventures (Macdonald's etc). No more water stops for the ponies.
    Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Virginia needs to build places like MD has on I-95. The rest stops are leased to a variety of restaurants, and a gas station. It is really great to drive thru MD/Delaware.

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=1722904

Well...that's just peachy....a couple of those rest stops are ones I use all the time. That is so annoying because if you are towing a big trailer, it is much more difficult and time consuming to get off on an exit and find a place big enough to park to just take a potty break. I usually stick to truck stops or rest areas as my rig has a total length of about 45 feet. I don't recall any large truck stops around that Goochland Rest Area on I64. There isn't a whole lot of anything in that area of I 64.

On I95 just north of Richmond and between Fredericksburg, there is mainly Ashland...and that is a really busy, tight area...no big truck stops there that I recall either. Fredericksburg is a mess also to get off.

I wonder where the truckers are going to park to rest? They are required by law to do every so many hours and often the rest stops are very convenient for them also. Maybe when they start pulling off and parking on exit ramps, they will rethink closing those rest areas.

Daydream Believer, I keep my horse in the Goochland area. For larger places to stop with a big rig...From the Manakin exit go south about an 1/8th of a mile there is a place on the left which has bathrooms, gas convenience store and decent sandwiches, chicken both fried and baked. They even have diesel fuel. If you go continue south about a half mile take a right at the light(Rt 250 ) and go about 1/8 of a mile there is a Shell station on the left also big lot, convenience store, bathrooms, and a Bill's Barbeque and diesel fuel. For the Oilville exit(next exit farther west) take a right off exit(north) and there is an Exon with good sized lot, convenience store and some hot food. Can't remember if they have diesel or not. Next exit west is Gum Spring and if you go north off exit, there is another place with large lot, convenience store and gas/diesel. Hope this info is of some assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairview Horse Center View Post
    Virginia needs to build places like MD has on I-95. The rest stops are leased to a variety of restaurants, and a gas station...
    I've always thought the very same thing. Let private enterprise do their thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    ...I wonder where the truckers are going to park to rest? They are required by law to do every so many hours and often the rest stops are very convenient for them also. Maybe when they start pulling off and parking on exit ramps, they will rethink closing those rest areas.
    I was wondering about the truckers too. The ONLY rest stop on I-66 between I-81 and the Beltway (I-495) is being closed. That distance alone is nearly 55 miles. I have no idea how far total it'll actually be between rest stops for the OTR truckers since others are being closed on I-81 (which is usually wall-to-wall 18-wheelers) and I-95 south of the Beltway.

The eastbound I-66 rest stop closed yesterday, and the westbound is scheduled to close in September. Thing is, I pass by there frequently, and both are ALWAYS parked up with trucks. What are they going to do now? Drive when they should be sleeping?

Good point about hauling horses as well. It sure ain't no picnic to have to find a convenient pull-off when hauling, not to mention some exits that advertise fast-food establishments fail to mention that they're x-number of miles from the interstate down some podunk, dark 2-lane.

This is supposedly being done to save money. What about safety?

I sure hope VDOT has done away with the ridiculous money waster of having workers ON FOOT using WEEDEATERS to trim the sides of the back-country roads around Clifton where my parents live. Years ago, a quick pass with a bush-hog was all they did, and all that was necessary.

I wonder how many VDOT higher-ups are taking cuts in salary? I bet none, while they put the rest stop workers out of their jobs.

This is madness, stupidity and putting all our lives at risk.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Meanwhile, we've got paving going on on absolutely perfect roads in our county. Evidently, there is an excess in roads money so they waste that, then complain because there isn't enough for education.

McDonnell has said that he'd re-open the rest areas immediately if elected.

But, privatizing them might just be the answer (didn't they discuss getting a fast food chain to take them over?). After all, government screws up everything else it touches and can't even keep a REST AREA open

I-95 in Maryland north of DC has commercial rest stops because it is a toll road. I heard a report on NPR in the last day or so that the federal govenment forbids states from contracting with private companies to run their rest areas. Truckers said they would just have to pull over on exit ramps to sleep. I did hear reports that the state would be making some accomodations for truckers but they didn't mention those with horse trailers. Perhaps some letter writing to VDOT is in order.

I hate having to get off the interstate just to pee, it's so much easier to just hit a rest stop. And I'm sure all the gas stations will love it when people just stop to use the rest rooms (ok, I'd buy coffee anyway).

Safety wise, I'm willing to bet this will be a train wreck......

I am sure the $$$ spent repaving RT 250, a few miles west of the Oilville rest stop, probably could have kept that rest stop open for quite a while. Lots of horse trailers and trucks there all the time. Paving a road that doesnt need it at all, closing much needed rest stops, completely illogical, but that is state govt using tax dollars wisely!!!!!!

TN, I think, has been doing this for a while. I've noticed a couple in our area "closed for repairs" when repairs have never been done.

They interviewed a trucker this a.m. and he said they'll just pull over on off ramps (they do that around here now). Of course the rest areas were never designed to allow truckers to get 8 hours of sleep, just to allow short rests. In TN there are designated truck rest areas. Otherwise they should use commercial truck stops.

Maybe if the legislature cut a few aids, the governor a few lackeys, and such like this they could fix the problem.

Look for a spike in holidary related accidents in VA.

G.

Who is headed for Ft. Valley, VA next weekend.