The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Frustrated AS CRAP that I can't visit my horse--help me not lose my horsey mind

AUGH. AUGH, says I. I haven't visited my mare and gotten my horsey fix in 6 days--a record for me when birth/surgery/vacation/death in the family have not been involved. Why? Why have I not been able to recharge in my sweet mare's quiet, psyche-soothing presence? Because of a perfect storm of BLAH:

1) I'm pregnant, and in my second trimester. Not a big deal in and of itself, but it has a huge impact on everything below:

2) We're in the middle of a &%$*! heat wave. We've had triple-digit (or high 90s) highs for over a week. I learned, the hard way, that pregnant women are very heat sensitive--and I am even more than the average. I became very ill getting overheated *in my own house* when the a/c had to be off while contractors redid our electric. That wrecked me for 3 days, and the OB told me to stay out of the heat and in a/c, period. I tried visiting my mare 3 days later in the late morning, before it got insane hot--turned her out in a (shaded) round pen, picked her feet, then sat in the shade and watched her while I chatted with friends. Even so--I got overheated, again, though not as badly.

3) As often goes together with heat--air quality is crap. I have mild asthma which is aggravated by heat and air quality, and, you guessed it, magnified by my pregnancy. I had to use my inhaler at 8 in the morning today.

Going in the morning is rough because it gets hot extremely fast, and I feel short of breath quickly. That, and I need to help watch my 3yro son while hubby works on remodeling the kitchen (something I cannot help him with). Normally I go to the barn during Son's nap, but 1pm-3:30pm are the WORST times of the day for heat and air quality. *sigh*

Evenings, I'm too exhausted--usually, a/c or not, I'm worn out by 5pm. 8pm, when things are finally cooling off, I'm practically ready for bed.

Regardless, hubby--seeing my desperate state--is taking me and Son to the barn this evening so I can at least brush my poor girl. (She's in full care board, getting turned out and feet picked and the like, but still!! She's my girl!) But even so, going at 6pm will be tiring because it will still be hot, and the end of the day when my energy levels are drained.

As soon as this heat wave passes (and there is NO END IN SIGHT in the forecast!! WTF?), I'll be able to return to horsey bonding...but until then, what can I do, couped up in air conditioning, to keep from losing my horsey-craving mind? Except maybe...harass you guys?

AUGH. AUGH again, says I.

SA Ferrana Moniet
    Not goodbye--just waiting at the end of the trail.
    My bloggity blog: Hobby Horse: Adventures of the Perpetual Newbie

Hang in there. I totally understand. I'm not getting to see mine as often as I'm used to either...but as long as you know she's being cared for, just remember that this is only temporary.

Glad you're going to get your horsey fix tonight.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

awwww {{hugs}}
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Yep, it is hot! I had a lesson Monday and thought I would pass out when I was done. Once I took in fluids I felt better, jumped in the truck to go home and it was deader than a door nail Spent the next couple of hours getting it started. We're looking at 108 on Sunday

Dawn

How about some commiseration?

I've just entered the third trimester of the pregnancy from hell, and am currently on bedrest to try to force some weight gain on me. While I can't exactly identify with the heat issue (I'm one of those people who shivers in 70 degrees and that hasn't altered with my pregnancy) I'm also asthmatic so air quality is an issue for me too. We had a fire up county about four days ago, the smoke was super fun.

I'm a pro with my own farm, and I can't go down and see my kids. Well, I do, and then I pay the price. I went down to watch some baby play (two two year olds in their first trip through the jump chute, and a three-year-old who is just amazingly fun to watch jump in there) and while it was mentally great, I was literally shaking with exhaustion and fatigue after an hour. Back to bed for me. I try to sit on my porch and watch down the hill to the ring, but being upright too long is uncomfortable. I've been making my WS ride up the driveway so I can do nose pats a few days a week!

I am going absolutely nuts, and feel like the most useless creature on the face of the earth. But truly, there is NOTHING we can do about it. The alien has taken over our body and we are no longer driving the ship. I can't wait for all this to be over, to not be pregnant any more, and to not feel like crap every single day. I want to ride, and teach, and see my horses and my clients. I feel like an exile.

But the good thing about this is that there is an end time. This doesn't last forever, in fact we know exactly how long we'll be stuck like this, give or take a few weeks. In the realm of our lives, what's nine months?

At least that's what everybody keeps telling me.

Seriously though, I do feel your pain, and I share it. I'm really ready to not be pregnant any more.
    Phoenix Farm ~ Breeding-Training-Sales
    Eventing, Dressage, Young Horses
    www.phoenixsporthorses.com
    Check out my new blog: http://califcountrymom.blogspot.com

Aww man you guys are making me sad! Wanna trade? I'm going through one of my wish-I-could-pop-out-babies phases. We've adopted once, which is awesome. But I'm not ready to go through that emotional rollercoaster again just yet, and bio kids are not on the radar.

Little FG asks me for a baby sister about 5,677 times a day... Think a cute lil filly would do?!?

Seriously though, I have no doubt it is very tough being disconnected from your equines. I will send some jingles your way that things settle down and you preggo peeps get the chance to get in some quality horsey time! Even if it is just spectating or nose rubbing.

Hugs to you ladies!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

From what I gather, being pregnant in the midst of summer heat is the worst, so you all have my sympathy!!

And hope you get your fix. I am very evil if I don't get mine!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Aw, thank you so much, everyone. Seriously, your cyber-hugs and "hang in theres" really are comforting. PhoenixFarm, I remember your harrowing (and continuing) preggo ordeal from OT day. Yikes, and a half. Is the bed rest helping you gain any weight? And commiseration is a very good thing. That totally sounds like me--I manage to get out there and do nothing, and it wrecks me. I've always had a low heat tolerance, but this is ridiculous now. This morning, hubby had the windows open to let some fresh air in, and within an hour I felt like I couldn't get a good breath (so much for it being "fresh" air), and I had these weird heat shudders that feel like my body trying to sweat, but not. (Hot as I am, I'm not really sweating very much...which is both weird and probably bad.) Glad you got to see your babies, at least. You paid for it physically, but sometimes that's fair trade for the emotional and mental recharge.

Speaking of emotional and mental, I just broke down into a big fat cry after I finished my original post. It isn't just the horse, it's being couped up in the house (or other a/c location) and not being able to physically do what I want to do. I had a long, emotional, and fairly sleepless weekend dealing with family crap (more fallout from my father's death 5mos ago), and normally the best thing after that is a nice ride on my mare. Not an option. Grumble.

The cry was good, but now my eyes burn and my throat hurts, and I'm spent. Super. But I get to see my girl in a few hours! Whoo hoo!
    SA Ferrana Moniet

Okay, now this is just cruel. I feel like I'm getting sick--sore throat, fatigue, acheyness, etc. I don't have the energy to go to the barn tonight. Hubby is going to go pick her feet (I know they do it for me, but the slobby thing has developed thrush for the first time in 6+ years because she has to poop in the middle of her stall, then stand so that it packs nice and tightly in her hooves), fly spray her, hand walk her, and otherwise check on her for me tonight. Then, in the morning, I'm heading on over as soon as I'm awake enough to pull some barn clothes on.

I started crying when I realized I just wasn't going to be able to go, but what can I do? Hubby comforted me saying, "Just a few more months, baby." Of course, in a few months I'll have a newborn and a 3 1/2yro.
    SA Ferrana Moniet

What do I suggest when you can't get to the barn but need a horsey fix?

SHOP!

horse.com
    horseloverz.com
    smartpakequine.com
    doversaddlery.com
    vtosaddlery.com
    chicksaddlery.com
    sstack.com
    statelinetack.com
    saddleshop.com
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I sympathize - it has been over two weeks now since I last saw my horses and I have a week and a half to go. I'm out of state helping take care of my mother who is terminally ill, and a good horse fix could save my sanity. But they're far away. Going without them and the cats is killing me...

My husband is a saint for taking care of them (horses are my thing, not his), but I know it'll take me a few weeks to get the barn back like I want it when I do get home.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

When I've been away from home for extended periods CGJ, I've tracked down people or just stopped at barns for a quick horse fix. Most horsey people "get it".

For the OP...grrr! I'm sorry!

I will hug a horse for you tonight and send good vibes your way. (((hugs)))

PhoenixFarm, I should come see you. I can gain weight by reading a cooking magazine. When the famine comes, I will outlive you all. :-(

I will hug my girl for you all tonight. Katy is so happy to be turned out in her little paddock w/ grass and daylight a few hours a day.

I would rather be thumped in the head than be pregnant. (I am an unnatural creature). A condition that combines nausea, edema, the inability to see one's ankles, turbo weight gain, and exhaustion is not something I would wish on anyone. But after you have your babies, you will have a license to put funny hats on them and at least once to lead them around on a fuzzy pony when they are toddlers.

FG, one is plenty. We are running out of green space, and sending two to college could cost you your horse habit for years.

My mom said, after my birth, she resolved never to be pregnant in the summer again.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Yep, I can relate. Not preggers but can't see my guy until this weekend and haven't seen him since last weekend. He is at a rehab facility which is kinda far away after his emergency colic surgery on 7/10.

I miss him... though I know he is getting great care and I'm sent e-mail updates. Just not the same.

But it's hard to get out there during the week after work. Long drive, etc.

But again, I'm doing what is best for him... though it may not be best for me.

Going to call my trainer today and see if anybody needs a catch ride or something just to hack around. Though it won't be like riding my boy... at least it's something.

I have 2.5 more months to go.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    When I've been away from home for extended periods CGJ, I've tracked down people or just stopped at barns for a quick horse fix. Most horsey people "get it".
    I would do that - or take lessons while I'm here as there are some good barns. But I can't drive and my mother cannot be left alone. (I get out to jog 3-4 times/week when her husband is home in the evenings... but he can't take me to any barns as that would then leave my mom alone).

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post

FG, one is plenty. We are running out of green space, and sending two to college could cost you your horse habit for years.
    Lori, this is true! The older she gets, the more time/energy I have again to ride and do the horse thing.... And yes college costs make me go not sure we could manage to pay college tuition, twice!

Hope you all get your horsey fix!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Yay, I got to see my girl this morning! And miraculously, though yesterday the meteorologists were saying today's high would be about 102, it's a mere 87, and now the forecast has been changed: high of 88 today and tomorrow. This means that when I was at the barn, it didn't get super hot--warm, but not hot--and I got to enjoy my girl. I just turned her out, mucked her stall (they muck once a day, but that's in the afternoon--and it's AMAZING how much poop accumulates by the next morning!), and sat in the shade for a rest before doing some round pen work with her. Her feet were once again packed with manure--WTH, mare??? I swear she finds a pile and stomps on it--and the thrush was ugly (ugly, but not deep). She was at a place with a smaller stall, also mucked just once a day, the first year I had her--but no thrush. WTH, mare? It wore me out picking her feet, but I felt better having done it myself.

I then hosed her off to get rid of the sweat and try to show she is, in fact, a WHITED out grey (not yellowed or browned!), then just sat while she munched on a patch of grass. There's no way I have the strength to ride or do much more...but I was there! And wow, did it soothe my psyche. I feel so, so much better today. It helps that I know I'm seeing her tomorrow, too...the farrier is coming. (Helps knowing he's going to cut out all the ick she has made of her feet.)

Sublimequine, I have a gift certificate to a local tack shop--I just need to get over there. That takes energy, though, so I have to wait for batteries to recharge. But ooooh, I do love Scheiders! Maybe it won't hurt to take a peek online...

cowgirljen, I'm so sorry about your mother. But how wonderful that your husband is helping care for them! I identify with it being your thing, not his; when I had back surgery, we two horses in 100% self care board, and he was there twice a day. He didn't want to, of course, but he did it without complaint--and even made video clips for me so I could "see" my girls. Maybe your hubby can do that for you, too? Watching your equine babies in turn out may be a good lift, even if not in person.

BuddyRoo, I've thought about visiting local horsey-places to try and get a fix in the heat--but alas, it all seems to be outside...so I'm stuck. Thankfully this unexpected break in the heat wave is my horsey salvation. I need to stock up today and tomorrow to help me make it through heat wave round 2 next week.

LoriB, I'm feeling your mom right now. Oy. I *got* pregnant in summer with my son, but by the time I was of any size, the weather was cooling. This is BRUTAL. All I can say is I'm glad it's not my 3rd trimester...then I'd be triply miserable. Hubby yesterday, watching me cry and hobble around in frustration and exhaustion, said basically...let's just make sure this is your last pregnancy, at least, on purpose. (At 36, I'd like to rule out the "oops" too...two kiddos, good. But I already feel like an Old Mama as it is!)

FlashGordon, I do hope than in about 10 years I'll be able to really dive back in to horsey things beyond my casual involvement now...if I have the money to! Especially if I wind up with 2 boys...my son loooves all things airplane and car, as does my hubby, so they can go off doing their Boy Things and I'll just go back to the barn. If this one is a girl, well, I'll just have to work to brainwash her into the world of Horse early.
    SA Ferrana Moniet

Oh, I'm so glad you got to go!

I am heading out shortly to go see mine and trim them. I can't wait til I get them closer to home.

(FYI...my comment about visiting was for CGJ...not you...I can't imagine finding a place with an air conditioned indoor...though I'm sure they exist somewhere.)

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    Oh, I'm so glad you got to go!

I am heading out shortly to go see mine and trim them. I can't wait til I get them closer to home.

(FYI...my comment about visiting was for CGJ...not you...I can't imagine finding a place with an air conditioned indoor...though I'm sure they exist somewhere.)
    Oh, I know...but I identified with it because I *had* racked my brain trying to figure out how I could get some sort of fix. People don't really have indoors around here, period, so oh well.

The co-BO saw me this morning and said, "How're you doing?" I said something innocuous like, "Oh, fine," etc...but he said, "Wow, you sound tired." I explained briefly my predicament, and he told me that while he wouldn't want me at the barn alone, the awesome stable hands (who I adore) are there by 6:30am. On the hot-hot-hot days, I might bolt over, give her some pettins, then bolt home, as long as the air quality isn't too crappy.

Must...get...horsey...fix...!!!
    SA Ferrana Moniet

Quote Originally Posted by Lauruffian View Post
    cowgirljen, I'm so sorry about your mother. But how wonderful that your husband is helping care for them! I identify with it being your thing, not his; when I had back surgery, we two horses in 100% self care board, and he was there twice a day. He didn't want to, of course, but he did it without complaint--and even made video clips for me so I could "see" my girls. Maybe your hubby can do that for you, too? Watching your equine babies in turn out may be a good lift, even if not in person.
    The DH is very sweet. He has the cats meow into the phone every night. And sent me a letter the horses "wrote" complete with photos. I'm getting by.. just missing my 'kids'. (And my husband... and sleep! I am so tired.. having trouble sleeping as I listen for my mom and in the morning have to be able to get up and get to her if needed).