The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boarding Recommendations - Middleburg, VA area

I just recently relocated to Washington, DC and I have been searching for a boarding barn and have not been very successful. I am keeping my horse at a friend's barn, but would like to find a barn by August 1. I would appreciate some recommendations for boarding barns (preferably in the Middleburg, Upperville, the Plains, and Marshall, VA area). My budget would be $600.00 to $800.00 monthly for full-care stall board. I am not interested in lessons and would prefer a smaller-sized facility (i.e., approx. 25 horses or less). I would like:

- ample field turn out with no more than one or two horses in the field
    - access to lots of trails (important)
    - wash stall (hot/cold water)
    - changing of blankets
    - temperature controlled tack room with plenty of room
    - outdoor ring (indoor not necessary)

What my main concern in the selection of a boarding barn is that the individual(s) caring for my horse are competent and knowledgeable in the care of horses and management of the boarding facility. The issues I have encountered in the past at former boarding barns have been that the barn owners/manager have often been negligent in the care of my horse. I am not able to come out to the barn often during the week and am only able to be out on the weekends and need to feel confident that my horse if being cared for properly Monday thru Friday, and if he is sick or injured, that the manager will notify me immediately.

Please PM me if you know of a reputable barn that would fall within my criteria.

Many Thanks.

Windchase in Purcellville, VA! Admittedly it is a bigger facility but with a small group of close-knit boarders, great facility, GORGEOUS trails etc. The website is teamwindchase.com