The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Question Anybody tried Vetericyn the miracle curall/yes I got sucked into a RFD infommercial

So I got sucked into RFD's hour on Vetericyn last night. It looks pretty amazing. Wondering if anyone one here has any experience with it. One of the guys on the show sprayed it into his mouth to show how harmless it is. The veterinarian on the show HAS to be on the payroll somehow--he uses it for EVERYTHING. You can spray it in the eye--no sting, it kills the bad stuff but not the good tissue, you can use it to flush infertile mares and they magically get pregnant (ok, that was only one anecdotal story) it cures hot spots, distemper wounds, rain rot, girth itch, you name it. The human versions cured an ulcer on a guys leg that had been open for 20-30 years....I mean this stuff is crazy.

So does it WORK?

You know the old saying, if it sounds too good to be true...
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

I got some from my vet when my horse had a nasty case of scratches.

She works at the local track and she said they call it "Holy Water" there because it works miracles (and is expensive!)

It's hard to say whether it did anything for the scratches because I was treating it with some other things at the same time, but it did clear up pretty soon after I started

I used it to flush out a nasty gash on my horse's shoulder pre and post sutures. I didn't put any other topicals on it and it healed up very well.

Uh, you realize that according to their website their "miracle" molecule NaOCl is more commonly know as laundry bleach (sodium hypochlorite). And of course it is a well proven disinfectant in biology and medicine. It has been used for decades in those environments. They seem to have simply made a very dilute form that may be more effective on skin than a "normal" dilution one may use when mixing Clorox and water.

Reed

No, I didn't actually read their website... I just watched the infomercial. I figured there had to be SOMETHING to it.

Plus I haven't had chemistry in over a decade, lol, so I probably would not have known what the miracle ingredient was ;-)

How would that not hurt directly in the eye then?

Quote Originally Posted by TrotTrotPumpkn View Post
    No, I didn't actually read their website... I just watched the infomercial. I figured there had to be SOMETHING to it.

Plus I haven't had chemistry in over a decade, lol, so I probably would not have known what the miracle ingredient was ;-)

It is so super dilute that it is still effective but not enough to cause it own damage. It makes sense that it works. We use a 5% dilute solution of laundry bleach to disinfect the cell labs (5cc bleach to every 95cc of water).

so does this mean you could literally take 5cc of regular ol' bleach, add 95cc of plain ol' water (or whatever a more appropriately diluted mix would be), and have a "bleach solution" you could spray on funk, to gain the benefits of the bleach without the detriments?

Talking

RAyers, if they sell this stuff for $20-$30 a bottle and it is simple 5% bleach solution (or some variant therof) we should form a partnership and make our own. Only our version will be an organic/green product in a recycled plastic bottle and we will charge MORE!

You can be the head chemist, and I will do the marketing. It is a brilliant plan, if I say so myself. I've been worried that my plan A in life (win the lotto) isn't going to pan out, so this would be an excellent idea for the meantime.

I wonder if anyone else on the BB would have something to contribute?

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    so does this mean you could literally take 5cc of regular ol' bleach, add 95cc of plain ol' water (or whatever a more appropriately diluted mix would be), and have a "bleach solution" you could spray on funk, to gain the benefits of the bleach without the detriments?
    To a point, yes. That is what cells do when they encounter foreign bodies. They secrete bleach, acid and other very nasty compounds that in large volumes would kill us directly. They just do it at such small volumes the concentration is tiny compared to our overall body.

Reed

RAyers, if they sell this stuff for $20-$30 a bottle and it is simple 5% bleach solution (or some variant therof) we should form a partnership and make our own. Only our version will be an organic/green product in a recycled plastic bottle and we will charge MORE!

You can be the head chemist, and I will do the marketing. It is a brilliant plan, if I say so myself. I've been worried that my plan A in life (win the lotto) isn't going to pan out, so this would be an excellent idea for the meantime.

I wonder if anyone else on the BB would have something to contribute?
    I say we color it a pretty teal green color I want in

I want to design the label, and any company logos and such....

I just spoke to a representative of the makers of Vetricyn, and they are sending me a sample to try on a rescue horse. My vet recommended it, and I will keep you posted.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Ah, but they make it by oxidizing a solution of NaCl. Much fancier than just diluting bleach. Note that NaCl = table salt.

Based on this page, it looks like the vetericyn is acidic, rather than basic (bleach is basic); however, that is fairly easy to fix.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    Ah, but they make it by oxidizing a solution of NaCl. Much fancier than just diluting bleach. Note that NaCl = table salt.

Based on this page, it looks like the vetericyn is acidic, rather than basic (bleach is basic); however, that is fairly easy to fix.
    Peggy, you should be a consultant for our new version. Name your salary.

Brockstables--I think label design will be critical! You're hired. Let us know how your free sample goes.

JB--teal is one of my favorite colors. It also ties in nicely with the mythical alpine water (*cough* Missouri River) that we will use.

Can I do the website?

slidingby Guest

hey guys I been following your discussion on vetericyn, I am interested because I bought a bottle at the horse expo in sacramento last month. I am looking at the bottle, and it is not just bleach and water. It says oxidized water,sodium hypochlorite, hypochlorous acid, and sodiom chloride. I dont know what all that is but it is not just bleach, I just started using it on my paint mare with scratches I will let you know how it works.

Sodium Hypochlorite: Bleach
    hypochlorous acid: a bleach and deodorizer, used in swimming pools
    sodium chloride: salt

You guys need to hire those tag team spammers who keep coming here asking if anyone has heard about their wonderful hay and then answering their own question. Testimonials like that are hard for anyone to refuse!

Pattir... you can TOTALLY do the website. I'm suprised someone hadn't snatched that up already. We should probably confrence call the TEAM in sometime soon....

Ambrey...please do not reverse engineer our product....I mean...er...their product--and then tell the public! That's TOP secret. Unless you want to be on the team?

Laurierace--EXCELLENT idea. When we finalize our product I will do a post about how topical application to the coronet band and the frog (only) cured my navicular horse. Plus then I will wipe out half the topics on the Horse Care Forum (including my own) No more barefoot/shoe debates!!

So has anybody tried this stuff yet???

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Quote Originally Posted by slidingby View Post
    hey guys I been following your discussion on vetericyn, I am interested because I bought a bottle at the horse expo in sacramento last month. I am looking at the bottle, and it is not just bleach and water. It says oxidized water,sodium hypochlorite, hypochlorous acid, and sodiom chloride. I dont know what all that is but it is not just bleach, I just started using it on my paint mare with scratches I will let you know how it works.
    Oxidized water - hydrogen peroxide, or possibly oxygen. Superoxide at a stretch.
    Sodium hypochlorite - bleach
    Hypochlorous acid - the acid form of hypochlorite, or what you get if you make sodium hypochlorite acidic
    Sodium chloride - table salt
    The Evil Chem Prof

FruitFirst Guest

Default That isn't bleach!!!!!!

It is Ionized water something every one should have and it is easy to make, I have a machine that will make 1 gal in about 1 min.

I will volunteer to do some trials on the new product. I have one filly who likes to injure herself, and a gelding who gets scratches and other assorted skin funk. Then there is my mare who tries to itch her entire mane off every winter. And the friend's mare who gets rain rot if it so much as threatens rain.

We could also offer a special version (as in, a different color) to be used in sanitizing brushes, hoof tools, bits, etc).

And a gel version too!