The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Gave up on Frozen, trying fresh cooled (Formula One, whoohoo)...

So I gave up on breeding my Intermediate TB mare to Catherston Dazzler with frozen semen b/c every time we shipped her up to the clinic, she ovulated on a small follicle (35mm-ish)..... so, this cycle, left her at home with my stallion to chat with, shipped in some Formula One semen, and today (when she would normally have already "gone out" at the clinic), she has two HUGE follicles according to my vet... may have to order a second shipment since she's not doing the small-follicle thing!

Dang mares. Sending my other Intermediate mare to the clinic next weekend to see if she will keep her hormonal equilibrium away from home so I can use the Catherston Dazzler semen.....

Jennifer

Fingers crossed for you! My mare who is a full sister to Courageous Comet is in foal to Formula One. I can't wait to see the foal !
    Maryanne Nicpon
    Minglewood Sport Horses
    Ballston Spa, NY

Woohoo, vet checked my mare this afternoon and she is in foal to Formula One! After five cycles of trying to get the timing right for frozen, only needed the one shipment of fresh cooled. Thank heavens.

On another happy note, the other mare went to the clinic with a 41mm softening follicle, and they were so 'right on' with the timing that they could actually see the follicle filling with blood on the u/s and they inseminated with the frozen within approximately two hours of ovulation. Everything looked textbook so she is home and just have to wait another week and a half to have her checked.....

fingers crossed!

Jennifer