The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Giving Away my 15.H/15 y.o. "Hony"

Where to start

Grey 15H, 15 year old Gelding. TBXWelsh.

I am looking to find him a pasture mate home although he has the potential of being a riding horse again.

In March of 08' he suddenly was off so I X rayed his feet all the way up. He fractured his left knee. In January he was sound and ready for light riding again. Someone lunged him without permission and he came up off again. He has been off since January 09'. Good days and bad days. The knee is healed now however, he has fill in the upper suspensory and on his right leg from compensation, he has fill up high (almost like he bowed a tendon but I was told that's not it, it's just compensation fill).

He has presence, decent confirmation. He rode the A circuit only, is well schooled with clean changes, easy to the asking for gaits, scopey & tight to jumps as a hunter. He is a sweatheart, no vices.

With time he could ride.

A pasture with others would suit him great. He wears no shoes, he is on no supplements (even though he probably could benefit from supplements), no maintenace. He is a grain/hay/sweet feed type of guy.

I really want him to have a home, he deserves it. I never thought I would be giving him away. I have another horse, just married - with that comes the house, the dishes and cooking, paying board on both horses ... basically life is happening and this guy deserves more than I can give him.

He is located in the Capital District, NY 12207 Please contact me if you think you could possibly home this guy!

You've probably thought of this, but can you find a cheaper place to board him in his retirement?

Sure have He has the best price, best home in general now. He is just bored as heck doing nothing. When I go to the barn I give most of my time to my rideable horse. I usually only pick this guys feet out, a bath or brushing. He needs more attention while he is on the mend. It's sad but I am sure I will be able to find him some type of home that will fit his situation. Until then he will stay with me and do what he has been doing.

Sorry, I read "pasture mate" home to mean you wanted him to be a companion, not a riding horse (although you do say he could possibly be ridden in the future). He sounds like a lovely horse.