The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need answer on odd question

If a horse is blind in one eye (horse has noticeable bluing in eye from old injury) can it be shown in a hunter and/or equitation class. It seems to be that I recall hearing that is deemed an unsoundness as least for the hunters. Not sure....okay guys....do any of you all know the answer?

I know of a one eyed horse that showed fairly successfully in the childrens hunters, so i'm pretty sure it's ok

I know of several sucessful hunters who were either blind on one eye or missing an eye. You couldn't even tell unless you looked at the horse up close!

yep should be fine, my daughter once showed a one eyed horse and they placed great!

Not in a Conformation class but otherwise, the judge can't even tell.

Big BUT here though. These horse do need to compensate by turning the head a little so they can see where they are going coming off a corner. You cannot surprise them with a tight roll back towards the blind side, they will crash and you may never get them to trust you not to face them with a jump they cannot see again.

Rider also MUST be confident enough to ride with enough rein out for them to turn that head a little and not be bothered by a little peek out the good side on landing to see what is next.

Not seen one in the Jumpers at all, expect there may be some but a tight combo off a roll back to the blind side would be a possibility that would scare me off.

You Eq would need to be a straight Hunter kind of course and you may lose a couple of points if they need to peek with the good eye. I also have no idea about depth perception in horses but whatever they got, these only have half. So I'd stay in the 3' or under Hunters with one.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

don't know if there has been a rule change, but years ago...many years ago, a horse that was blind in one eye was considered "unsound" and therefore would get knocked out if the class required a jog....which they all did years ago. the rationale was that if the horse was truly a hunter, that goig through woods could potentially blind the horse if poked with a branch and become completely unserviceable. it was ok in the eq, but not a jog class. again, years go.

Quote Originally Posted by precious View Post
    don't know if there has been a rule change, but years ago...many years ago, a horse that was blind in one eye was considered "unsound" and therefore would get knocked out if the class required a jog....which they all did years ago. the rationale was that if the horse was truly a hunter, that goig through woods could potentially blind the horse if poked with a branch and become completely unserviceable. it was ok in the eq, but not a jog class. again, years go.

Yeah, unless the rule has changed, a horse with any blindness should not place.

I believe you are right, though I am not 100 %.

I've known two 1/2 blind horses that showed successfully. One is a lovely 3'/3'6 hunter - just a touch on the looky-side due to his vision difficulties - but a 10 mover and a 10 jumper. The other belonged to a friend's trainer and was a jumper who did the mini-prix's successfully.

In most zones, 3' does not jog for soundness. Anything lower (for horses) does not jog anywhere under any kind of National standard with USEF.

It is up to the judge IF they notice even if they do jog.

Years ago it was considered a soundness issue... I showed one who was blind in his left eye so he would slightly tilt his head once he got close to the fence just to see it better. This was back in the early 80's when there were true outside courses. We did the Eq (where the championship classes were set at 3'-6"), Jr. Working Hunters and some Working Hunters and the blindness never affected our placings (we consistenly placed at the top ). We found out the hard way that it was considered a soundness issue when a now BNT protested at an "A" show after I won the Open Jr. Working Hunter class and beat a string of his students. I only did the eq stuff with him after that but not for long as uveitis spread to his other eye and that was it . Best damn horse I ever rode .

From what I remember that rule has been changed so it's not considered a soundness issue - I don't have the rule book in front of me right now so I can't be sure... but am almost positive...
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Not seen one in the Jumpers at all, expect there may be some but a tight combo off a roll back to the blind side would be a possibility that would scare me off.
    I've seen jumpers that are blind in one eye. It really depends on the particular horse as to what they will be able to do.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

GR841 Soundness.
    Unless specific division rules state otherwise, all animals except stallions and mares in Breeding classes must be serviceably sound for competition purposes i.e., such animal must not show evidence of lameness or broken wind. Animals with complete loss of sight in either eye may be found serviceably sound at the Judge’s discretion, except in a class over
    fences where a Judge may ask a rider to change horses.

Quote Originally Posted by precious View Post
    There HAS been a rule change, quite a while ago.

In fact, the one place you CAN'T use a blind-in-one eye horse is in an eq class, where you may be asked to change horses.

But no longer considered an automatic unsoundness for hunters - the judge has discretion.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Also...don't forget that in unrated shows, which is what most locals fall into, anything goes. Does not matter if that is where you are going to show as long as it gets around safely, up to the judge if they even notice.

I think the serviceability might depend on how good the horse was going when it lost the eye. The ones I know were all quite accomplished over fences when they lost their sight. I don't know about starting one from scratch like that.

Here is the kicker, vet says although eye looks unsightly from scarring the horse still has at least 50% of vision. Now, how the heck they know that is beyond me because it is not like the horse can take an eye exam..LOL

I will just have him write it up and whatever goes goes

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Quote Originally Posted by donkeyman View Post
    Here is the kicker, vet says although eye looks unsightly from scarring the horse still has at least 50% of vision. Now, how the heck they know that is beyond me because it is not like the horse can take an eye exam..LOL

I will just have him write it up and whatever goes goes
    Maybe they could use an eye chart similar to the ones they use for young kids who don't know letters yet, but have pictures of carrots, apples, etc.?

There was a well-known eq horse/hunter (Black Ice) who did everything, including medal finals with one blind eye. IIRC, this was before the rule change, so he was fitted with a lens to make his cloudy eye look "sound."
    The Evil Chem Prof

In the '70's I had a friend and barnmate who took her blind-in-one-eye horse to the Garden for the Maclay finals. He was a lovely, game and safe horse at 3'6".
    Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org

Rode a warmblood mare that had an eye injury leaving her with some scarring in her one eye.. but she rode like she had sight in both eyes! Interestingly enough, the injury humbled her a bit and the mare rode better and more consistent after the injury (she was about 7 or 8?), jumped better and braver, and actually developed a tolerance for amateur mistakes!!!!

She went on to win many classes at A shows in the children's hunters.

Guess the original question has already been answered, but...Check out Iago du Quesnoy in this article:

http://www.horsesdaily.com/news/show...tl_campos.html

We were stabled across from him at a show a few weeks ago - thought he was a very cool looking horse. I was really surprised when the (new) owner told me he was a Grand Prix horse, but apparently he's been quite successful