The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

modoc Guest

Default Two Free Companion Horses in FL - Together or Separate- Free Transport w/in US

I have two horses I am currently boarding in central Florida whom I desperately need homes for- I do not have my own place anymore, and like lots of businesses, mine has had a downturn which is making it hard for me to continue caring for these guys. In addition, my daughter's TB event horse has been recently diagnosed with severe-for-his-age navicular. He's only 11. He has big lollipop formations. In a wedge, he's sound for lower-level work, but we will have to be making further hard decisions before too long.

I love my horses and feel very responsible for them. I am willing to give them to good, forever homes, and do whatever I need to facilitate a transfer. I will do the transport (pretty much anywhere in continental US as long as it's the right home :-)). I am open to possibly continuing to provide certain supplements, trimming/shoeing, current sheets/blankets if wanted or annual vaccinations costs. I will strive to keep my contact info current with their new homes so that, at any time, even years from now, I can take them back for re-homing or help locate new homes should the need ever arise. (I'm not a clingy one- once the horse is yours, he's yours, unless you *want* my involvement for vx, supplements, whatever)

Both these horses trailer, bathe, tie, and stand for the farrier. Both horses are wonderful pets and neither are currently on prescription meds or NSAIDs. Both would be fine out on pasture 24/7 - as long as you don't have a big gnat issue (Hobie). They are good together, but separate homes are fine. Please contact me by commenting below or at landrews8 at gmail.com

Their pictures are here, labeled: http://picasaweb.google.com/landrews8/HobieAndAussie#

Aussie (All That And More) is a bay Australian TB gelding, fifteen this coming fall, who is unridable. He has had extensive medical work-up, but no firm diagnosis. His bone scans show remodeling *within* several of his vertebras, both scapulas, one stifle and one navicular. He has had abnormal bloodwork (low lymphocytes and anemia), but since he was injected by the vet with a series of immune-system boosters and put on Perktone ( a blood builder like Red Cell) in December 2008, his bloodwork has been re-checked as normal in June, 2009.

He is not in pain when out on pasture/stalled, eats five pounds of Manna-Pro pellets/day and is currently eating a combination of T/A and fescue. He is on NO prescription meds or NSAIDs. I give him Acculytes because we live in central FL and the horses sweat just standing around. I also give him Black-As-Knight and an immune-system booster, but neither of those is probably necessary. In his career, he was professionally show-jumped and evented. I got him as a re-hab several years ago, and rode him dressage for pleasure.

He is a wonderful, wonderful horse, good with kids handling him, and a barn favorite. He loves peppermints. He'd be happy out full-time. He currently wears shoes all the way around because the sand here acts like sandpaper on his thin TB soles. I'm pretty certain that he'd be fine anywhere on clay or regular dirt. He was actually barefoot here for a long time and was barefoot in NC. He is suitable ONLY as a companion horse.

Pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/landrews8/HobieAndAussie#

Hobie Cat (Good Stampede) is a bay American Quarter Horse gelding, nine years old. I am still riding him, but he is very definitely losing his vision. He is blind peripherally in his left eye and appears to also be losing his right peripheral vision. He can still see straight ahead, though I don't know how well. He sees better on cloudy days than bright, contrasty days. I have had him two years. I was riding him on the flat, teaching him to trot (he has a huge suspension and since he was ridden western (head-to-tail type situation), I think he must've only been walked and cantered :-)), go independently of other horses and go on a direct rein. Then he came down with a gnat allergy (sweet-itch) and before I got back on him, I wrecked my knee.

Ten months later, I got him started again. He was jumpy and not right and it took me awhile to understand he couldn't see much. His eye is normal on full exam, and the optic nerve is normal on ultrasound. He does not have uveitis (though his eyes do water sometimes) and he does not require medication. He trusts me in particular, but the staff at the barn handles him fine, as well, as do my kids.

In handling him, you have to be aware of the things around you and call his attention to things he might not have noticed before they "sneak" up on him. Speak to him before you touch him. He spooks four-footed. Sometimes he gets up on his toes. He will try to turn away, or pull backwards if you do not reassure him verbally. He is fine with loud noises, golf carts, tarps, all the things you think might scare him generally doesn't. He is not a behavior problem. He gets scared when something moves by him fast and he's not aware of it. He needs time to adjust to light levels by just standing quietly. He is afraid of 'buzzing' - wasps, bees, carpenter bees.

He is fine in the pasture/stall. He eats five pounds of Manna Pro/day and T/A hay. I give him Acculytes, Aller-Check, Bug-Check, and Black-As-Knight. He might need to stay on the Aller-Check and Bug-Check (or, if gnats are prevalent at new home and you don't want him on those, he might need Benadryl) I would possibly be willing to provide those. He was down the road at a different place for awhile and needed nothing. He would be happy out all the time as long as the gnats aren't an issue.

He is low man on the totem pole, but will hound others to play with him. He is barefoot (great feet!) He loves to be groomed and loves peppermints. We limit his hand-treats because he is very orally and will lip endlessly, lead rope, reins, hair, pockets, if not properly handled. He is suitable as a companion horse. This horse will require an adjustment period as long, perhaps, as several weeks, during which he might be spooky and shy. He is surprisingly good on trails. I don't know that he would be good with just anyone, though. If someone were interested in riding him as a partially blind or blind horse, they would need to spend a LOT of time with him and sign a liability release when they accept him. He does have a huge buck, though I've not experienced it myself.

Pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/landrews8/HobieAndAussie#

Please spread the word about these two lovely boys :-)
    Last edited by modoc; Jul. 23, 2009 at 12:10 AM. Reason: clarity- and someone pointed out that free horses *might* be sold for slaughter in Canada and I'd have done all the work -

modoc Guest

Update: Found a place I can affordably (for now :-)) pasture board these guys in TN, with a friend's FiL. Won't be able to see them, but anything's better than euth'ing them.