The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Laid off

After 23 years working at a law firm, I've been laid off. There is a severance package, though not an overwhelmingly generous one, so I and my two horses are okay - for now. I am temporariliy without e-mail, so if anyone needs to reach me (Dressage Art, Velvet?), my home phone is (925) 674-1641. I'm entering this post at K-Mart ;0). Before I could get from the HR office to my desk, they had cut me off from my work computer. So nice of them. I hope to have a home computer up and working soon and an e-mail there, so I'll check back in at sometime. In the meantime, it's buy some L'Oreal, touch up the grey, and go job hunting. Sigh.

Sandy

That sucks - terribly sorry. Almost like adding insult to injury cutting off your computer, even though, in a law firm, I do understand the confidentiality aspect etc. When one door closes, another one opens. When a door opens, go through it.

I am so sorry to hear this. I am also a little worried about your home phone being posted here. Anyone have any ideas about how to get that PM'd to anyone who needs it and off the public BB?

Sandy, I hope things look up soon and don't hesitate to let us COTH'ers know if you need any help.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

sPeaking from experience here FIRST go apply for unemployment, DON'T be too proud to do it! It will not kick in until all your severence pay, vaction pay etc has expired, but it can save your butt! i know from experience three years ago! My problem was, as an IT professional at an over 50 age, noone wants to hrie ME anymore! I am too old and need too much pay to make itt worthwhile for them! they can hire three young guns that are willing to work 80 hour weeks for what they paid me, of course EXPERIENCE meas nothing to them! No loyalty to employees anymore! Hence my being a full time horse pro (again!) and not making squat! Wish I could say I was "happy" but.... not 100% sure I'd agree with that statement! My "goal" is to win the lottery and go back to being an ammie some day! LOL Anyways, good luck, I think at least your profession may be a bit easier to find work in!!

I'm so sorry that this has happened to you. In March, I lost my job at a huge international law firm, also. My severence wasn't wonderful, either, and I ended up using a bunch of the money from my 401k to support me and my two horses. However, it turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to me. I was off work for 3 months, got a much needed "rest" from working (even though I still worked my p/t job and helped out a former boss of mine with her non-profit), and got to work with my horses more.

The market being what it is, I only got one job interview in those 3 months, but let me tell ya, I made it count. It was with a U.S./Canadian commercial real estate company, which I have zero experience with, and I got the job. I was so nervous to start working there, but it's been the best thing ever. I hated working at law firms and now, I LOVE my job and I have GREAT bosses.

That being said, I don't know what you did at the law firm, but keep an open mind about changing your career. Did they set you up with any type of outsource placement agency? My firm gave me information re. Lee Hecht Harrison, which I never even got to take advantage of because I found a job pretty quickly. If you think any of the information I have from their packet might benefit you, I'll be happy to copy it and send it your way via email or regular snail mail. There are even CDs included with it that I'd be happy to burn copies of, too.

Have faith, remain strong, and know that a lot of people care and support you through this. Take a couple of days to "mourn" your job, and THEN regroup and start a plan of attack for finding new employment. Contact friends, former co-workers, etc. and see if anyone knows of someone who needs help - even on a contract type of basis. I couldn't have gotten through my job loss without my friends and it changed my life for the better. I am a much happier and better person now.

You WILL be OK, and if I can help in any way by sending you that information, please let me know.
    Last edited by see u at x; Jul. 21, 2009 at 12:27 AM.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

I'm sorry, Sandy! I hope you find something quickly!
    Stay me with coffee, comfort me with chocolate, for I am sick of love.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Thoughts to you...

Commisserating here. My job of 10 years ends tomorrow. I have one prospect that I was supposed to hear about by Friday, still no answer today. It's hard when you are solo and the critters depend on you.

Maybe we should start a support group... I know there was a post on Off Topic Day last...
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

well that stinks

Best of luck on your job search
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

What a shame.

But in general I get the feeling people very often find something they enjoy more. I hope it works out for you.

Oh Sandy, I'm so sorry to hear that. You would think that attorney business would be fine in any economy...

Hopefully, you'll find a job soon. Let me know if I can buy you a "pick me up" cup of coffee or help you in any other way. (925)487-2739

Quite a few big law firms have laid off a lot of lawers and support staff through this economic mess and it's very different because ten years ago I was told all the time that 'law firms are recession proof'. Not in this one!

I think law firms are suffering because so many companies are 'holding off' and waiting to take actions that would require a law firm. Some types of practice are up, some down - patent appeals are way up, patents are down.

Quote Originally Posted by Dressage Art View Post
    Oh Sandy, I'm so sorry to hear that. Let me know if I can buy you a "pick me up" cup of coffee or help you in any other way.
    Ditto here.

I was laid off in 2008 after 9 years with last my company. It's not at all fun, but I second the person who said to file for unemployment right away. Also, try to take a couple weeks or so just to process the whole thing, and take a mental health brake before you start your full-time job search so you are physically and emotionally ready.

I'm very sorry you're going through this. There are a lot of us who are having a very hard time in this recession. I hope it all turns around for you quickly.
    www.moranequinephoto.com
    "If I am fool, it is, at least, a doubting one; and I envy no one the certainty of his self-approved wisdom."
    Byron

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy M View Post
    After 23 years working at a law firm, I've been laid off. There is a severance package, though not an overwhelmingly generous one, so I and my two horses are okay - for now. I am temporariliy without e-mail, so if anyone needs to reach me (Dressage Art, Velvet?), my home phone is (925) 674-1641. I'm entering this post at K-Mart ;0). Before I could get from the HR office to my desk, they had cut me off from my work computer. So nice of them. I hope to have a home computer up and working soon and an e-mail there, so I'll check back in at sometime. In the meantime, it's buy some L'Oreal, touch up the grey, and go job hunting. Sigh.

Sandy
    matey dot get disheartened by being laid off, there always something you can do

I work in a dying breed here in America - manufacturing. And the companies I have/do work for have all been makers of textile conveyor belts we sell to paper makers (Intl Paper, Kimberly Clark, et).

In 1999 I went to work for Wangnger Systems in SC. Two months later we were bought by Geschmay. Two year later, we were bough by Albany Intl. Then in early 2004, the plant was closed and I was laid off. My job was divided up between Mexico and Canada. I had two horses at the time, both boarded.

Now I am working for Weavexx who is a competitior of Albany Intl. I've been in MS since early summer 2004. I did get more money than I was making in SC

We're watching all our competitiors close doors/lay people off left and right and I just hope that our plant in MS makes it. There is no where to work here if the plant goes, so... I would be on the move again... I'd look like a redneck moving somewhere; 3 horses, two farm mutts, 1 house dog & cat!

Hope the OP finds something soon. Maybe your next job will bring you a bigger paycheck and something more enjoyable! Good luck! A friend of mine just found work after being unemployeed for several months.

Big jingles that everything resolves well - and quickly!!!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Default ME TOO! Is it the moon????

Oh Sandy M, I'm so sorry. I also got word last Friday that my job is being eliminated after 14 years. I've been given the choice of a tiny severance package or move to an hourly position making less than 1/2 of what I'm making now. With all things considered I'm opting for the severance package tomorrow and will be out of the company within 30 days. It sucks. It really, really sucks. I'm especially concerned about health insurance....I carried my husband and me on our BCBS policy at work.

Here in NC I was told by our Employment Security Office, that if I went to any community college and signed up for ANY course (flower arranging, pottery, rocket scientist) and brought the paid receipt with me when I applied for unemployment insurance, my benefits would begin immediately rather than waiting the severance period. I'm not going to go that route but it might be an option for you where you live too if you need it now.

I'm 59 1/2 (almost) so my prospects of replacing my salary and benefits are next to none, but I'm going out with my head held high and will hit the keyboard every single day job hunting! We figure we'll be ok financially for a while, but the emotional blow is hard isn't it? I do find it comforting to know I'm not alone and this wasn't a result of anything I had or had not done.

I honestly do believe in that good ol' saying, "when one door closes, another opens"...it's just being sure we see that open door!!

Best wishes to you!!!!

ACK! What a blow. Hope you will be able to find something else quickly.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

My sincere wishes for an early resolution to your cash flow problems.
    My nephew of your old horse sends his love too, although his solution is simply to say "Yay! More time for trail riding!"
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

I'm sorry! My husband got laid off from "big bank" a couple weeks ago, but lucky for him he has me ;-) and they are continuing his basic salary until the beginning of Nov. I third the unemployment.

I also have to say it has been a real eye opener for me--seeing what we can get by on. Between both of us switching jobs in the last 2 years we are down a whopping 59% of our income from 2 years ago (plus no retirement contributions by employers) and I'm sort of embarrassed that I wasn't saving more back then. If I only knew then what I know now *sigh*

Best of luck to you. [[[[[hug]]]]]
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/