The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Calorie Question/Diet Question... see post 4

Super quick question. So I'm looking at switching dog and cat foods from Hills W/D (both cats and dogs on it) to something healthier and perhaps cheaper (cause they don't need to eat as much of it to maintain weight).

So, the Hills W/D canine is 243 kcal/cup... and the dogs are getting just under 2 cups a day (lets say two to make things easy). So that's 486 kcal a day they are getting in their food. So, when looking at a new diet, should I sorta compare the ME (kcal/cup) to see if I'll be in the same ballpark? Or what's the best way to go about it?

I think I've narrowed things down to Blue Longevity (the Mature) or Weight Control (also by Blue). They are 330 kcal/cup and 444 kcal/cup respectfully. Or thru Wellness I've been looking at the SuperMix5 (the Lamb, Barley and Salmon formula) and the Heathly Weight. Those are 405 kcal/cup and 325 kcal/cup.

So, should I be aiming for the same amount of calories a day? Or ??? A HUGE thank you for the help. I plan on going shopping for kitty food this week... but just haven't figured out the kcal/cup thing yet for what foods I'd like to compare (probably something similiar to what's picked out above for the dogs).
    Last edited by appychik; Jul. 21, 2009 at 09:31 AM.
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

BUMP...

Is it just so simple to just count calories??? Please help me, please!
    See G2's blog
    Photos

You can go just by calories per cup, but keep in mind that your pets will be less satisfied/full if you get a very calorie-dense food and then have to give them a lesser quantity than if you got a food with fewer calories per cup.

If you want your pets to lose weight, then aiming for the same or fewer calories/day is a good way to go. Keep in mind you can do this with any food of any caloric density; it's all in portions. If you like the really dense food, you just have to feed less of it. If you like the lower density food, you can feed more of it and keep your animals more satisfied (the theory behind lots of "lite" diets).

Quote Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
    You can go just by calories per cup, but keep in mind that your pets will be less satisfied/full if you get a very calorie-dense food and then have to give them a lesser quantity than if you got a food with fewer calories per cup.

If you want your pets to lose weight, then aiming for the same or fewer calories/day is a good way to go. Keep in mind you can do this with any food of any caloric density; it's all in portions. If you like the really dense food, you just have to feed less of it. If you like the lower density food, you can feed more of it and keep your animals more satisfied (the theory behind lots of "lite" diets).
    So... if you do go by calories and are feeding a less calorie-dense food, what would you feed to help make the dogs feel "fuller". Like some fresh veggies (carrots, apples?) or something along those lines?

I crunched numbers and right now the dogs are getting 364.5 kcal daily and the one cat is at 93.67 kcal (plus a little more... perhaps closer to 100 kcal), the other at 187.34 kcal daily.

Just looking at the dogs, right now, looks like they'd barely even get 1 cup of food daily... and that's looking at just about every diet out there (well, Blue Longevity and Wellness Healthy Weight).

Our dogs are at perfect weights right now, and always weight within a 1-3lb range (between 19lb and 22lbs)... and they eat right at 1 1/2 c of W/D daily (split into two meals).

Anyways, I'm clueless about all of this because when I worked at a vet clinic we highly recommended Hills Rx and the other Rx diets... . Anyways, I do appreciate all the help.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

I don't know the answer to the question but keep in mind that when you put more "filler" in... you get more "filler" out the other end.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

I follow you on that one. But, right now on W/D our dogs have minimal BMs... perhaps 3x a day but not a mass amount.

Anyways, still trying to figure this food thing out.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

Quote Originally Posted by appychik View Post
    So... if you do go by calories and are feeding a less calorie-dense food, what would you feed to help make the dogs feel "fuller". Like some fresh veggies (carrots, apples?) or something along those lines?

I crunched numbers and right now the dogs are getting 364.5 kcal daily and the one cat is at 93.67 kcal (plus a little more... perhaps closer to 100 kcal), the other at 187.34 kcal daily.

Just looking at the dogs, right now, looks like they'd barely even get 1 cup of food daily... and that's looking at just about every diet out there (well, Blue Longevity and Wellness Healthy Weight).

Our dogs are at perfect weights right now, and always weight within a 1-3lb range (between 19lb and 22lbs)... and they eat right at 1 1/2 c of W/D daily (split into two meals).

Anyways, I'm clueless about all of this because when I worked at a vet clinic we highly recommended Hills Rx and the other Rx diets... . Anyways, I do appreciate all the help.
    Sure, if you wanted to go with the more calorie-dense foods and only give them 1 cup a day, you can add in some fresh veggies (except no onions or garlic) to help them feel more full! DO consider, however, the caloric content of those veggies too -- carrots, for example, are not empty of calories and can add up!

I have my own ideas of nutrition for dogs and what diets are good and bad...honestly I don't think the Hills Rx is bad...but every dog is different and all won't thrive equally well on any one particular diet. You go with what you want to feed and as long as it's AAFCO-approved and balanced for that life stage.

Green beans are an excellent filler, and one that our vets recommend regularly. Make sure to stick with the "No Salt Added" cans, though.