The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Prob Dumb Question - Crisco????

So this is probably a really stupid question and I bet I should ask it on the eventing board, but I was watching some videos of horses doing the cross country stuff covered in what looked like Crisco cooking oil - the thick white goopey stuff!

WHY? How does it help?

From what I understand (and someone can correct me as I may be wrong) it helps the horses get over the cross country fences easier if they drag a knee or something over it?

I'm pretty sure it is like grease. If a horse hits one of the cross country jumps it is supposed to help them slide on it since they usually can't be knocked down like a normal fence.

okay - I guess that makes sense, I just saw this horse COVERED!! Jet black with white coop!! chest, belly, and legs, had never seen it or noticed it before.

It's eventing grease and yes, to help them slide over the solid jumps.

http://www.bitofbritain.com/Eventing..._p/93-4480.htm

Default Yup

Especially if there's brush on top of fences... those can get kind of prickly.
    "Beware the hobby that eats."
    Benjamin Franklin

It's supposed to help the horse slide across a jump if it needs to. The irony is that according to studies that have been done, the horse's own hair actually is more slippery on it's own. People like it though, helps to make you feel like you are doing everything you can to help.

FWIW, it is not actually crisco. Crisco would not allow the horse to perspire, thus raising the body temp. It is water based.

Crisco was perhaps used in a pinch, years ago. There are specifically-formulated products, now. Much easier to wash off and get the pony clean for a Sunday jog.

It does help a horse slide over a solid obstacle if he leaves a leg or drags a stifle. Not really for "prickly" brush, that doesn't really hurt them and they brush through easily. Think more along the lines of a big solid log dropping into water... it's not uncommon to rub a stifle, and grease can prevent some hair loss and save the skin. Watch here as lots of horses "slither" over the log atop the mound. (NOTE: the slightly scary trips seen here are not "normal." This obstacle caught MANY horses very off-guard, as there was very little "up" to the mound, and horses were greatly surprised at the steep descent and water below.)

Frequently, though, much of the grease has melted off by the time the horse has finished, after splashing through multiple water jumps.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

No it's not crisco, but it is basically a grease. Helps the horse slide over a fence if they drag a leg or something. I think it's called eventing grease, now. (and it's water soluble, i imagine, as crisco would not allow them to sweat and make them even hotter)
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3