The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default First Attempt at First Level

Took Freddy to a "Bronze" level show here in the Edmonton area this past weekend. Had signed up for 4 classes, 2 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday.
    On Saturday, we did Training Level Test 2, and received a 60.000% for our effort, did not place as even though the class has approx. 17 entries, they combined everyone into one class. Than we did our First Level Test 1. First time ever I have ridden this test and we ended up getting a 58.333%. We even got a 7 on our last trot lengthening. Which I think is quite stellar considering we have only been working on that for a couple months.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FysXOs1KO7I
    link to YouTube video of our First Level Test 1

On Sunday, our first test was Training Level Test 3. I was quite disappointed with myself in this test. I hadn't allowed enough time to warm up properly so Freddy was still quite tense as was I. We received a 57.200% for our effort on this test. Than I had my coach help warm us up and we went in for our Training Level Test . We rocked it!!! Yes, we did have a few errors, but for the most part, it was awesome. Received 7's for our free walk and stretchy trot circle. Freddy also received a 7 for gaits. Oh, and we did receive an 8 for our entry too.
    Our next show is coming up on July 31 - August 2nd. My coach has given us permission to attempt First Level Test 1 at this show as well. We aren't quite ready for the other First Level Tests yet as well, although our canter lengthenings look good, it is the coming back to working canter that is the problem.

Good job! Glad you had great time
    Fair and kind, but with authority... - Jennie Loriston-Clarke

Good first attempt...normally I don't think it's a good idea to move up the levels until you are getting solidly above 60%. Was your test caller on a mega-phone? I could hear her so clearly.

The reader can't add words that aren't in the test booklet. Would have gotten yo udisqualified elsewhere so if you use the same reader again you better let her know that she has to read exactly exactly exactly and nothing else.

Not E to F, E-F. She does it many times. 'At A', needs to be 'A, ...' She has to be careful where she stands and very, very careful what she reads.

the last recognized show we went to (in May), our scores ranged from 60.400 to 65.35 and for the majority of schooling shows we go to we score in the same range. This show was an exception to that.

As for the reader, it was a volunteer provided by the show. For the most part, I do not used a reader, I have the patterns memorized. She was on a loud speaker a fair distance away from the ring.

Quote Originally Posted by slc2 View Post
    The reader can't add words that aren't in the test booklet. Would have gotten yo udisqualified elsewhere so if you use the same reader again you better let her know that she has to read exactly exactly exactly and nothing else.

Not E to F, E-F. She does it many times. 'At A', needs to be 'A, ...' She has to be careful where she stands and very, very careful what she reads.
    that's really interesting to know. I've been both reader and rider where extra little words have been added, and nobody has ever said anything. and these have been recognized shows.
    but good to know that its a possibility that it could get you in trouble.

paula, freddie is so freaking cute. well done at trying first level. I'm a chicken and am waiting til next show season :P
    In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. 1300 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs - it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster.

If someone wanted to make a stink out of it, they sure could. That you've never seen anyone make a stink out of it, doesn't mean that it's fine to add whatever you want. You have to read only what is in the book. Verbatim. Word for word.

Normally, only the really blatant examples get one in trouble, but I would be very, very careful of what I read.

if the READER adds words, he can get the rider disqualified. That's the rule.

Wait and see how carefully you read after you get a rider disqualified, LOL, and have someone complaining to the entire world about you for the next 20 years.

And no, I didn't get anyone disqualified, but a reader does have to be quite careful of what he reads, where he stands....and I know that it doesn't always get caught, but so what!

there was a trainer who was constantly muttering things under his breath like 'Will you get a move on already, for God's sake' every time the rider came by, and screamed at the top of his lungs the letter and the turn with the student who always turned the wrong way(the former being outside the rules, the latter being inside the rules).

The idea is to prevent constant arguing and complaints over what extra words comprise 'unfair assistance' and waht does not. If you just make a rule you have to read the book exactly, that problem goes away.

And if you read in extra words, it is unfair assistance, and it is against the rules. Period. If you're reading a lower level test be particularly careful of the wording on the figures such as the serpentines as people tend to add words on those in particular.

So for example if you say, 'B, SITTTING trot', that's ok, even if you scream 'SITTING' extra loud and long.

I'm not sure that someone couldn't find some rule to complain about that under.....

Quote Originally Posted by TropicalStorm View Post
    paula, freddie is so freaking cute. well done at trying first level. I'm a chicken and am waiting til next show season :P
    Well, I think he is pretty darn cute, but I am kinda biased. I think the cuteness factor comes from his Arab side. LOL.

I was scared to try First Level, but sometimes you just have to soldier on rather than staying within your comfort zone.

It's good to get experience doing different tests. Your horse is very pretty.

Paula - What a sweet horse.

I live in Grande Prairie and would love to come down to Amberlea for a show! Unfortunately my single mom income (of two dogs and a horse) won't allow me to get there for a recognized show this season. My girl is four this year and we've been having fun doing a few local shows here in Training level. Hopefully next year we'll be able to venture out into the big bad world.

Keep up the good work!