The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dry, non-growing mane and tail?

And dry hair coat? Horse in question is an IR mare, overweight, dewormed. Eats McCauley's M30 and a bit of TC Lite to get salt/mag/MSM and CTB in her. Timothy hay and muzzle.

It's not so much sun burned, but some. It's just straw like, brittle. Any ideas that don't involve external, like conditioner?
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

My guess is that she is not getting enough fats/oils in her diet, but unfortunately you say she is overweight, so adding those would probably not be such a good idea. Hopefully our resident nutrition experts could help you. The only thing I can think of is to use heavy-duty conditioners.

Sounds like she may not be getting a balanced diet, although I'm unfamiliar with McCauley's feeds.

As for topical solutions, Healthy Hair Care's spray (the "pink stuff") is a good moisturizer.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I LOVE the M30. Awesome stuff, and my mare looked amazing on it. She was also on a hoof supplement and some omega horseshine though, so maybe that helped?

Is there a reason you don't want a topical? Some horses, like some people, just have dry hair. I have to use a ton of conditioner in my hair but there is no lack of fat in my diet!

They've been on M30 for about 4 months now. My black horse looks great on it, but she just doesn't shine anywhere, and has had this straw like mane/tail condition for a couple or 3 years now.

I was just avoiding the topical suggestions in case there was something else like copper deficiency or such that someone would come up with first. I find topicals tend to just collect dirt, too, but I may go that way if it continues to bug me.
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

What I do with mine is wash and condition weekly. If the tail isn't terribly dirty, I just condition, and then rinse. It collects much less dirt than the leave-in topicals. Plus it helps protect the hair from breakage, so you lose less hair when they are swishing at flies.

I've also noticed a huge improvement in my mare's tail since I put her on SmartHoof. Her diet was excellent before, but the SmartHoof has helped a lot. She also no longer gets thrush. So you might try something like that for a couple months or so. SmartHoof is pretty inexpensive and is flax based, so you're getting some fat and omega fatty acids in addition to the copper, zinc, and biotin.