Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Copper Creek Tack Shop Liquidation in Branchburg, NJ- Talk about deceptive marketing!

I keep getting emails about the liquidation of Copper Creek Tack Shop in Branchburg, NJ. I've never been. It's a bit of a hike, but I could maybe manage it and hit up Dover at the same time. Anyone been? Is it good? GOOD stuff or picked over, weird, odds-n-ends. Prices good enough to justify driving 1.5 hours? What kind of merchandise did/do they have?

*edited pursuant to the email I got today announcing that the prior "last day" stuff was a load of BS*
    Last edited by vxf111; Aug. 2, 2009 at 02:52 PM.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Default they're liquidating???

wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that dover opened their store literally around the corner from them.
    how do you compete w/ a monstrosity like dover?
    i've never been to copper creek (went to dover once and was hugely disappointed) but i heard great things about the place.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

Horseloverz is running the liquidation, and I do think Dover is literally around the corner.

if you send me your email, I will forward you the flier I got about the liquidation.
    ~Veronica

sen you a pm

Sent you an email.

I am considering going but wish I had a sense of whether it's worth it. Or whether I should just hold out for the Rick's sale.
    ~Veronica

aw that's sad! i visited a few times when they first opened and spoke with the owner for quite a while, she's a VERY nice woman and i really enjoyed chatting with her. what a shame she's going under.

they do have nice stuff there, english and western, but the shop is very small, so there might be just odd things left if you don't get to it until the end.

Stopped in Friday evening and they seemed rather well stocked at the moment. There was an article about their closing and tack stores having problems right now in the Star Ledger this weekend and they mentioned she has/will have her 'fall order' to disperse as well, since that was ordered before it became clear they needed to close.

Copper Creek was doing well in Oldwick in better times. They moved into their bigger location on Rt 22 and were just settling in when Dover decided right across the street was the place to build - gonna take me a while to forgive them for that. Between Dover and the economy (people are only buying essentials now) they say it just got too hard to continue.

I didn't need anything except flyspray so I didn't wander around too much to avoid the temptation, but it did not looked picked over as of last Friday.

The Horseloverz connection seemed to me to be an attempt to bring in more business and a smart idea. They were affiliated to HL which would do some advertising for them and they had a deal where if HL had a sale you could have it delivered to the store without postage. If store had item it was a HL internet sale price. Unfortunately, it was just not to be.

Thanks Drive NJ, that is helpful. What is the assortment like in there? Mostly essentials/basics or any high end fancier hunter stuff. Rambo/Rhino/Amigo blankets?

I guess my problem is that I don't need a WHOLE lot right now, but there are a few specific things I need. If she's likely to have them-- it's worth the drive. If I am way missing the mark in terms of the selection she carries, then I'd better just wait for Ricks.

I am looking for standard size Horseware turnout sheets/blankets, typical hunter bits, and some essentials (fly spray, bell boots, etc.) Could probably be sucked in my hunter/jumper tack and riding clothes. Is that the type of selection?
    ~Veronica

well sounds like it's worth a trip.

it is sad. i don't shop in dover mail order. went to their grand opening and thought the inventory sucked. never went back. but i recall back then big discussion about dover's strategy of opening a store right by copper creek. seemed like it was intentional and in bad faith...

I went on Saturday. I am a little bummed I drove almost 2 hours, it was pretty disappointing (and the traffic in and around the shopping mall right nearby where Dover is just BOGGLES my mind, OMG it was awful).

They have a decent selection, actually. Some stuff was entirely sold out (didn't see, for example, a single pair of boot socks or open front Eskadron type boots from any brand) but generally that had decent stuff in decent sizes. some nice show clothes, some Horseware blankets, loads of Ariat tall boots...

The problem was, the prices kind of stunk. Most everything was 40% off... but it looked like Copper Creek NEVER did any markdowns in the history of the store? I saw, for example, last year's pattern Ariat shirts. With the $99 hangtag. Well, 40% off of that is a bad deal. Those shirts are currently $49.99 at Statelinetack, Dover, and everywhere else because they're last year's colors. Lots and lots of OLD stuff like that, and the 40% off was still more than those items go for everywhere else. I wonder if that's why the store didn't compete well with Dover. It was full of older stuff still marked for the original price?

There was a bargain basement fukll of Horseloverz Deal of the Day stuff that mainly seemed pretty junky (McAllister halters/leads, funky colored cheapo fleece sheets, Equine Couture Nautical saddle pads etc.) it was hot as hades down there, I didn't strick around for long.

I ended up getting an Amgio turnout sheet I needed for, eh, roughly the same price I could get it elsewhere-- but I felt like I had to get something after making that trek.

I also stopped by the Dover across the street and it's GORGEOUS and puts the one in Delaware to shame.
    ~Veronica

Unhappy

That is such a shame about Copper Creek :{ When I lived in NJ I visited and shopped a couple of times there. Very nice staff-sucks that Dover moved right across from them. I hardley shop at Dovers-unless they have a sale. I go to the one up in Lexington VA when I visit my friend Caroline. I think they are overpriced-loved Horsemans just because of their consignments! Got some great deals down there.

If someone else is running the liquidation sale then they probably increased the prices before the 40% came off. I know that is common with other types of retail stores so it wouldn't surprise me if it happened here.

I thought that might have been the case too Green Acres, but they sure had a LOT of very OLD show clothes. I am clearly a bit of a geek but I can name you the shirt colors for Ariat show shirts (love them!) dating back 4-5 years. They had 4-5 year old shirts there. In common sizes/nice colors. Which leads me to believe, things really weren't moving quickly even before the liquidation.

I think the Horseloverz folks had a rep there. There was a guy who seemed to be giving advice to the Copper Creek staff about how to handle things after Sunday. I wonder if they hauled over the Deal of the Day bargain basement stuff just for the liquidation?
    ~Veronica

Default vxf111

the balloon festival was this weekend, that's probably all the traffic you hit.

sorry sale was a disappointment. i never made it myself. kind of glad now

Well, I feel totally jerked around. With Horseloverz involved, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Despite all the emails saying that the LAST DAY for the STORE was July 26th and that the store was CLOSING on July 26th and all the signs at the store saying "last day, July 26th"-- looks like that "store closing" sale was a fake out, and they're actually bringing in more merchandise and closing sometime in August (unless that is also NOT TRUE). I got an email today from Copper Creek/Horseloverz announcing that a truckload of new merchandise arrived. Also some sob story stuff about how sad Copper Creek is to close.

I hate being manipulated. Don't announce a store is closing when what you really mean is "we need to trick folks into making the drive to rifle through quasi-marked down junk so that we can clear it out without actually marking it down." Just be honest and say "markdowns all this month." Don't announce a last day, everything must go sale when that's not actually what's happening. I made the drive thinking July 26th was going to be rock bottom and the end. Turns out that wasn't true at all.

So if anyone wanted to pay more than the going retail price for really old show clothes and some marked up Rambos more expensive than the regular off-season prices everywhere else-- looks like you still have a chance

Poor form. Really poor form. Be HONEST with customers.
    Last edited by vxf111; Aug. 2, 2009 at 03:08 PM.
    ~Veronica

If you ask me, Horseman's Outlet has both Dover and Copper Creek beat in terms of prices and selection. Shopping at Dover is kind of like a quick trip to the 7-11 if you don't have the time for going to Shoprite (Horseman's Outlet). I think Dover located where they did because it was as far as they could be in "Horse Country" from Horseman's Outlet and still be in Hunterdon County...

I agree, Horseman's Outlet is DA BOMB. I should have skipper Copper Creek entirely and gone to Horseman's Outlet instead.
    ~Veronica

I love Dover's - especially for riding clothes and tack. Horsemen's Outlet has a larger selection of supplements and topicals. Boot department and stable supplies section is also good. Copper Creek - I've been there twice in the past and didn't like it. I'm not even going to bother with the sale even though I drive right by on my way to and from the barn. Oh my total favorite remains Bevals - although it's out of the way for me.
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

Copper Creek is 5 minutes away from my barn, so I've been there probably 10x in the past two weeks hunting for deals with friends.

I do believe the reason they are liquidating is that Dover opened up right around the corner. Copper has 3 floors of everything. They did say they were going to stop the sale last Sunday, and are now staying open for another week or so I believe. Little bit of a crook move there. Last week when they said they were closing, they had people making deals with them to lower the price as much as possible. My friend got a very nice winter coat that had a broken zipper (wasn't a major problem though) and got 35% off instead of 20%. I think if you say, "Well I can get this for the same price at Horsemen's or Dover or Beval or Coachstop, you should take 40% off what they are charging me, otherwise I will go to another tack store."

They have quite a selection of things and some things are high quality stuff that I would like to buy, but others are not. They have a ton of grooming products from brushes, to fly spray, to hoof oil, to Quick Silver, etc. They have a bunch of saddles but they are mainly Wintec and consignment items, but I have seen a Pessoa and a few Jaguars in there as well. They have a huge selection of Tailored Sportsmand britches, as well as Ariat, Devon Aire and Pikeur. The have a huge rack of show shirts that are 50% off and they have a rack of show coats, mainly RJ's, but also Tailored Sportsman and Ariat. They have a tons of bits and spurs for sale on the bottom floor as well as bridles, halters, flymasks, horse boots, etc.

Upstairs are blankets, boots, bridles, western wear, and helmets. They do have some great deals on blankets. My friend picked up a Baker blanket the other day for around $70. They still have Baker's left in a bunch of sizes. There are some Rhino's, Rambo's, and Mcallisters up there as well. Helmets are mainly IRH and CO's, no GPAs. Half chaps are Ariat Cameos and Dublins. Paddock boots are mainly Ariats with a few other smaller brands mixed in. Tall boots are Ariats and Devon Aires. They have a couple nice girths for sale that they got in (Pessoas, Professional Choice), but the others are crap. The bridles are Bobby's, but I'm not a huge fan of them, as the leather feels cheap and looks like crap IMO. My friend bought a martingale and regrets using it. I personally would not buy anything leather from them.

The basement is all cheap items. They have huge stacks of saddle pads which were cheap with the Horseloverz deals, which seemed pretty good. They have leads, lunge lines, jumper bonnets, but they're all not great quality.

Worth a look IMO, but I'm waiting to buy some things at Horsemen's sale in August. I bought a pair of Tailored Sportsman Pro's, a zip up, a few pairs of spurs, and a bag of treats for my horse.

Thumbs down i agree but

Quote Originally Posted by JanWeber View Post
    If you ask me, Horseman's Outlet has both Dover and Copper Creek beat in terms of prices and selection.
    horseman's customer service leaves A LOT to be desired.
    especially that woman w/ burgundy curly hair (name escapes at the moment) - she could really use training in customer service. perhaps they feel that since their prices are low they can offer sub-par customer service but i certainly don't see it that way.