The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ultimate Horseman's Challenge/Extreme Cowboy Race?

Has anyone done one of their events? There was one here this past weekend, and I'm really thinking of trying it next year. Yes, I know it is western, but it looked like so much fun! Mare has a great brain, so I think she'd be fine. If you haven't gone to see one, give it a go. It was so fun to watch!
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

I saw this on RFD-TV the other weekend. Looked interesting, but had to wonder....

Why is that men and women don't compete as equals in it? I didn't see anything that would favor one gender over the other.

Other than that, if I rode Western I'd probably try it. It could be a tad hard to do in a dressage saddle!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    I saw this on RFD-TV the other weekend. Looked interesting, but had to wonder....

Why is that men and women don't compete as equals in it? I didn't see anything that would favor one gender over the other.

Other than that, if I rode Western I'd probably try it. It could be a tad hard to do in a dressage saddle!
    The one we saw they did. I could see, however, how it could be an issue when they have to lift things.

Yes, if I do this, I'll have to buy a western saddle. The fun part - my trainer is thinking of doing it too!
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Yep, our local saddle club (which is mostly western riders) does one or two a year, they're fun! I ride in my dressage saddle, usually AND I'm usually up there in the placings, 'cuz I *will* ride hell bent for leather, and my horse tolerates just about anything.

But I know a lot of folks who ride in them at a slower pace that's comfortable for them and have a blast doing it just the same. One of those folk also rides in her english Wintec.

Go for it!

They have one around here every year and each year they have "surprise" obstacle to truly test how much your horse will tolerate. Last year's surprise was a masked man waving a (running) chain saw popping out of the woods and running straight at you. Straight out of a horror flick. Because everyone KNOWS that cowboys run in to Jason quite regularly out on the range. Absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by spotmenow View Post
    They have one around here every year and each year they have "surprise" obstacle to truly test how much your horse will tolerate. Last year's surprise was a masked man waving a (running) chain saw popping out of the woods and running straight at you. Straight out of a horror flick. Because everyone KNOWS that cowboys run in to Jason quite regularly out on the range. Absurd.
    My horse might be okay with that, but I would be OUT of there!

I have ridden in one and plan on going to another one soon. I thought it was great fun! I rode in my english saddle too and had no issues. However there was no obstacle that really required a horn on the saddle, so all was good. I like how it is about being able to have your horse do anything, but then be able to get quiet very quickly.