The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Barn shutting down - party for the BO? Ideas?

My barn of nine years (and my whole riding life) is shutting down. BO is getting out of the business. Although we've had our ups and downs, this woman has taught me how to ride, how to work, how to love, how to deal, and given me my love for horses that will last my whole life. She has also helped me buy my horse of my dreams. AND, everyone who was there/boarded there are all really tight-knit. It's sad to see everyone go.

So, we are having a big party for her Other than just hanging out, having fun, are there any other ideas? I am planning on writing her a note/letter just to thank her for nine amazing years, but are there any kind of party idea's that will make this last-goodbye a good one? Would love to hear them!

I would think she would love a photo progression from where you started until where you are today. Do you have many good pics that you can frame?

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I would think she would love a photo progression from where you started until where you are today. Do you have many good pics that you can frame?

Ditto... or see if you can get all the other people from the barn to give you photos and items from their days at the barn and put together a scrapbook for her.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Share enough happy memories with her and you may get her to change her mind.

Lightbulb Some ideas

Have everyone bring photos and make a giant framed collage sp? for her - candid shots- put together and framed and wrapped. Everyone signs a huge card ~ all this ahead of time !!!!START taking pictures - use small instamatic disposable cameras easily tucked out of sight if she comes around.---and of course have one last group shot - for Christmas card for her. Give her and everyone else should get one too - a printed list of names and phones numbers in order to stay in touch - maybe in the form of a barn ~~~ magnet to put on the refrigerators in every home.or in form of a calendar... Have a GOOD TIME and GET BUSY !!!! Lots of Luck!!!
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

How about a photo album/memory book where each person gets a page or two for pictures of them riding through the years with a note thanking the trainer or sharing their favorite memory from the barn? (Just make sure everyone knows what size page they should make since books come in different sizes.) During the party, the book could be shown around so everyone could reminisce. Have fun!
    ***Honorary Member of the "What is BOSS?" Cult...er...CLIQUE***
    ***Prominent Member of the 'Irrelevent Posters Clique'***
    CrayolaPosse ~ Bluegreen

Last year for Christmas our barn put together a quilt for our BO. We got pictures of each horse (and its person) and someone printed them onto fabric that was sewn into a quilt. I have absolutely no idea how to do this, of course. Just that it was about the only time I've seen our BO speechless.

I think photos would be great. You could put together a slide show (online) of photos and show it at the party. Or buy the BO a digital photo frame and put all the photos on that.

Thank you all for the suggestions! I love incorporating photo's into this - what a great idea. LOVE the quilt thing - any idea where they had it done? There is no way I could sew one myself, lol!

A card & scrapbook are also great thoughts. I'm not sure how the party should be, though. Do we have drinks? A big dinner? Barbeque?

Quote Originally Posted by huntergirl007 View Post
    ... I'm not sure how the party should be, though. Do we have drinks? A big dinner? Barbeque?
    How has this group partied in the past?

If food and drinks have been part of past parties, then yes.
    If this is more of a cake and cookies group, then probably stick with that.
    If this group has not really partied together before ... and you want to control the costs ... then a finger food and wine party.
    If time of day is an issue (people can only come after work / can't stay long), then the finger food / wine set-up works well. A dessert party also works if the party needs to be later in the evening to accommodate schedules.

I would not do this as a surprise party - people need some time to prepare emotionally for this type of thing. With no surprise, you can also query the group and see what the preferences are.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926