The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Wanted: Very SAFE horse for elderly woman

Seeking a SAFE beginner horse for my 70 year old mother who is learning to ride. Should be around 15 hands and able to carry a heavier rider, (about 200 lbs). We do have other horses but they are not suitable due to being too tall, not being able to carry a heavier rider or not being appropriate for a beginner. Our horses are boarded and well cared for and there are members of this forum who can verify if needed. Will be on 24/7 turnout with a run-in shed. Thanks!

Default PA

Sorry. western PA.

Default Low key horse

I know of such a gelding. Please pm me if you are interested. The horse is in SE PA.

Sent you a pm.

CC-still haven't gotten the pics.

My sister has a nice gelding she wants to rehome. In western PA, nice horse tho, and very sane. Her kids are getting into gaming, and this boy wants to take it slow and easy in life. PM if you want more info.
    J

Somewhat off topic.... but I think its great that a 70 yr old wants to learn to ride. What made her decide? Probably retirement and more time in her life than earlier years?? just a guess.. All the best to her!
    Windswept Stables-Specializing in Ponies
    Sales, Breaking,Training,Showing, Stud Service

Home of 2008 Sire of Year Reserve Champion
    Pony Hunter Breeding - Empires Power

www.EmpiresPower.com

She and I have been watching my daughters ride for a couple of years. Then, this year I started learning to ride. She decided if I could do it so could she so there you have it. My oldest dd's horse just came off the track in January so is obviously not one to learn on...lol. My own horse is an 18yo tb, also an ex-racer who competed for many years in 2nd level dressage. He is a great schoolmaster for me, but at 16.3hh he would be very difficult for mom to mount. My other dd's horse is 14.1 hh but is small boned and could not comfortably carry my mom. So we are looking for a horse who is large enough to carry a heavier rider, but not so tall that she can't mount him.

Sent you a pm with my sister's contact info. Her horse is an older gelding, about 14-15h, nice and quiet, happy to stroll along the trails. Good boy, and in western PA. Hope he is what you are looking for, as he needs to be rehomed soon!
    J

Got it, thanks.

bump