The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Field Boots that offer a little more ankle support?

I'm looking for new field boots that might offer more ankle support than normal. I have a weak right ankle that tends to cause my foot to turn in--also giving me shin splints. Preferably, I'm looking for boots under $500 and I'm open to having zippers or pull-ons. Thanks in advance for any ideas!
    BeesKnees
    Hunters should be galloping - George Morris

No boot suggestions, but have you tried orthotics? They should help prevent your foot from falling in, kind of like corrective shoeing Or maybe a thin ankle brace? Good luck!

Sorry to hijack, but I have the same problem

However, I am not looking to buy new boots, but I was hoping for some tips that could give my left ankle some support. My ankle is somewhat better if I wear thicker socks and wrap my ankle, but I was wondering if anyone else had ideas?

Did you ever try a simple ace brace? I have funky knees and I'm a big fan.

They sell them for most joint stuff at most every well stocked wahlgreen type stores.

A good alternative is using vetwrap. It's slim fitting enough to fit under your boot and you can tweak it by holding your foot in the "right" angle when you wrap it.
    Timothy, stop lurking

I'm getting these as soon as a horse sells http://equifit.net/products.asp?id=47

Not normal looking ones, but I don't care as I have such a damaged ankle/leg that the support is worth it, and being able to wear a good brace under is the most important thing when jumping. Other then that there are field boots that buckle on the side you can wear a better brace with.

Oi, why didn't I think of orthotics? Maybe I'll be able to salvage my old field boots and just get them repaired. Those are really neat boots but a little too much $

I've tried a brace (hard to get in with the pull-on boots--maybe I'll see if I can get zippers added to my boots) and tape (which is ok, but kind of annoying to do everytime), I'll go back to doing those things if I can't find another solution.
    BeesKnees

I tape my ankle in addition to orthotics like I used to in basketball to ride. It takes some trial and error to figure out just how tight and wear to tape in order to give support and allow you to put your heels without cutting off circulation but it has really helped me. My ankles are jacked up and at this point are more hardware then bone from surgeries. It's the only solution I've found that lets me wear my super tapered ankle sergios and still be able to walk when I'm done.

I have the same problem. I solved it by getting angled stirrup pads, not the kind that angle front to back but side to side. I put the higher portion of the wedge on the outside and it gives me more support. It's cheep enough to give it a try and write it off if it doesn't work for you. They can be tricky to find sometimes. Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

Angled Stirrup pads

Do you know if there are cheese grater stirrups that are angled like those pads?

Never seen anything other than the plain white ones.

I've seen those and I was a little thrown off by them. But you're right, 8 bucks is worth it, even if it is a write off!
    BeesKnees

I got special orthotics from my orthopedic surgeon and the work amazingly to prevent my ankles from turning in. I had the same problem for a long time.