The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tips for showing a stallion on the line

Just wondered if there were any tried and true tips for showing a stallion on the line - one tip I heard was to put vicks vaporub in the nostrils so they don't smell any mares.

any other tips?

People used to do that, but I'd be pretty concerned now with the more specialized testing. It doesn't seem like much of a stretch for camphor to make it into the blood stream from the nasal tissues.

exposure, exposure, exposure. The more you can get him out and about the better. Have set rules and be consistent and fair. DONT nag at him...there was a lady at a show a couple of weeks ago with a 2 year old stud colt constantly beating the crap out of him if he even THOUGHT about being bad. Stallions will not tolerate that and will strike back. Discipline the bad (rearing, biting, etc) and praise the good. Try to stay by yourself in the ring. When I did mine I used a long leather lead with a chain looped through the bit and snapped onto itself-but not so there is room for him to get a foot through. I felt better with less in my hands, and if he had reared (he never did thank God) I had more rope to hold onto.

Good luck and have fun!

When I did mine I used a long leather lead with a chain looped through the bit and snapped onto itself-but not so there is room for him to get a foot through.
    SOOOOO true ...

I have seen so many times where the chain is snapped back onto itself leaving that big loop, the horse is grazing, puts a foot through, snaps their head up, degloving the entire leg and leaving one helluva mess to contend with even trying to get that chain undone at all as the horse is flipping out and panicking ...

exposure, exposure, exposure. The more you can get him out and about the better. Have set rules and be consistent and fair.
    Couldnt agree more ...

I think this 2-5 year old phase is the worst one of all as they seem to have totally left their brains back at the ranch and you wonder if they will ever find them again ...

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

The ONLY time my stallion was horribly vocal and 'worried' was when I used vicks. I think his lack of ability to be able to tell what was going on (smell wise) made him far more anxious.

I show him the same way I show everyone else. If he doesn't have the manners, he shouldn't have the parts, and certainly shouldn't be off the property.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I would recommend contacting Ginny Johnston and have her help you. She is very experienced in showing stallions on the line. It never hurts to have a small tune up session with a pro.

Quote Originally Posted by pintopiaffe View Post
    I show him the same way I show everyone else. If he doesn't have the manners, he shouldn't have the parts, and certainly shouldn't be off the property.

Same here, my stallion shows just as any other horse would show. We do try and stay out of crowded "waiting" areas though, more for fear of what other horses would do, then what he would do. I've been to shows where there have been out of control stallions, and honestly, I can't understand why people will bring them to shows like that. At a recent show there was a stallion being shown in-hand, he was rearing, striking, SCREAMING, and being generally a very rude and obnoxious horse. A stallion can show essentially just as other horses can show. The key is staying consistent in teaching him manners and whats acceptable, and what is not. My stallion is shown in a bridle, with an eggbutt snaffle. No need for a chain.

I've heard that if Vicks is used too much, that it can actually permantely damage the horse's ability to smell? Not sure if thats true or not, but I was afraid to use it because of that. Good, consitent training is so important with any horse, and if that means sending the horse off to an in-hand trainer, then so be it.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

I actually need to correct what I wrote--I used the "Acclimate" stuff, not actual Vicks. The Acclimate smells strongly of Anise, comes in a stick like deoderant. Is for aggression, getting mares to accept orphans, and stallions, etc. I feel like Vicks must burn like the devil on the sensitive nose tissues! I don't know of course, since I'm not a horse... but...

At any rate, he definitely was more anxious with than without.

I do like having a Newmarket lead or a connector. I actually use a leather dog coupler. I suppose a better handler can use separate reins even better to get the stallion to round and reach... me, I'm too busy running like a midget maniac to worry about that stuff. I *wish* I could present them better.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I thought I would update here on his first line show as a 2 yr old (and he has been bred so he knows whats up).

I was very pleased with his behaviour - in fact he was better behaved when trotting in hand than many of the other 2 yr olds (fillies and geldings) and never once tried to canter at the trot.

We had 2 fillies in heat in the class with him and he totally kept his focus with me in the class. He got a little excited when we passed a couple paddocks with mares that were running around and neighing to him but there was never any concern on my part that he would get out of hand. He listened to me, never reared or tried to get a way. He was interested but that was it.

We had three classes and while standing still was not perfect - he did move around alot more from being impatient than anything else. Between classes we kept him away from the pack - more of a concern where the mares in heat.

Here are some links to pics.

http://www.hotelfun4kids.com/images/...16-08-09-1.jpg
    http://www.hotelfun4kids.com/images/...16-08-09-2.jpg
    http://www.hotelfun4kids.com/images/...16-08-09-3.jpg
    http://www.hotelfun4kids.com/images/...16-08-09-4.jpg
    http://www.hotelfun4kids.com/images/...16-08-09-5.jpg
    http://www.hotelfun4kids.com/images/...16-08-09-6.jpg