The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default horse loosing hair...help

okay so my horse has been loosing hair around her eyes and down the sides of her face and i have no idea what to do to stop it and get the hair to grow back. any suggestions?

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

its "losing"
    sounds like a fungus or an allergy
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Agree with mroades. One of my horses is VERY sensitive. She is probably allergic to her own hair! All kidding aside. Scrub her face with a scrubby mitt and some iodine shampoo. See if that clears it up. It will take some time for the hair to grow back.
    Last edited by JLC7898; Jul. 19, 2009 at 08:06 PM.

Is it around where the halter buckles are?

My mare lost the hair around where the buckles were laying against her skin. I just got her a halter with a different type of metal buckle (a silver color instead of the brass she was apparently allergic to).

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

My horse's hair is very sensitive too. He gets hair loss around his eyes and the bridle areas. This is going to sound weird and gross, but if you wash your horse's face with excaliber (yes, the sheath cleaner) and a rubber scrubby after every ride, the hair should start to grow back in just a few days. It really helps to clean out the sweat and dirt. You just have to keep his face clean with soap and water after that, which should prevent further hair loss.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. Explore. Dream. Discover.
    ~Mark Twain

Do you wash your horse's face after a workout?

If not, it is from the sweat that builds up under the bridle. It is important to get your horse used to the hose being on his face. At least wipe her down with a wet towel. Your horse will learn to like this. Loosing hair and being sweaty is not comfortable for her. I'm almost certain this is not an allergy or fungus, just built up sweat especially because you mentioned along the brow band and cheek pieces.
    I just Novalson for hair growth, after a good scrubbing with your favorite disinfectant.

Is she a chestnut? Do you live in a hot climate? The reason I ask is when I lived in Alabama, I found it was very common to see chestnuts lose some of their facial hair during the damper warmer summers. Mostly on the forehead though. I would say it was caused by uncleanliness, which it might have been in some cases, but one horse was owned by an anal mommy who was also a groom for a certain Olympic rider, so I don't think that was his case...
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Just wanted to let the original poster know that we moved her thread to "Horse Care," which is a better fit for this topic.

Thanks!
    Mod 1

Quote Originally Posted by JLC7898 View Post
    Agree with mroades.
    Me too. It's losing.

my bright sorrel anhydrotic guy would start off his coat issues with facial balding. At the very least I'd give this horse a nice bath with Vetrolin (seems to calm my guy's skin down). gently work it it, let it sit, and rinse well.