The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default any hydration backpacks specifically for riders?

This morning, as I was trail riding in my western saddle, with my hydration backpack on, I leaned forward and managed to hook the front strap on the horn for a second. It occurred to me that this isn't a good thing for safety. Yes, the two front straps on the pack have quick-release snaps, but that wouldn't help if you were hung up and something happened. Other than leaving the front straps unsnapped, which I did this morning after that (which then makes the pack more bouncy when trotting), does anyone else ride western with a hydration pack and have any creative ways of fastening the front straps for stability, safely? Or do you leave the straps unsnapped? Does anyone make a more rider-friendly/safe hydration pack? I really like my pack otherwise.

This isn't the suggestion you are exactly looking for, but..

You could lose the saddle horn.

I am thinking in a serious situation those plastic snaps will break with enough pressure. I had a dog collar once that broke at the snaps that are similar to those. (Got a leather collar after that!)

Either that, or customize your own breakaway for it.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Camelbak has a few models that will suit your needs if you don't mind losing the storage.

1. Hydrobak - As basic as it gets as it's just a reservoir inside a minimalist covering bag design that rests on your back with no waist straps. Carries 1.5 liters of liquid.

2. Fairfax - Similar design. Simply looks different.

3. Charm - Same thing as the first two but designed specifically for women.

I don't believe any of those have waist straps but you'll have to actually try them on at the store to see what really works for your body and such.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I like my western saddle for trail riding; not losing the horn.

I was wondering, too, if the strap would break, or if it would leave you hung up for enough of a split-second to get yourself really hurt/caught on the saddle before it did break.

I'll look into some of the smaller Camelbak models, thanks. I really don't need to carry much other than water to drink here in the dry desert summer!

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

You heathen stock saddle convert you...

Do you *seriously* like the horn? Western 'endurance' saddles can be the exact same model, just sans horn.

Me, I got a horn in a rib one time on the Ranch. These days I like spanish saddles or no horn western... all the sit, none of the ouch.

Just yanking your chain, really. HAY--if your Moritz is still green, I've found THE solution for it too...
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I've grabbed the horn before when I've been cattle sorting and also when out with the hunt club when I thought Whiskey was zigging left and he decided to zag right, so technically I guess I do need it. If I do get an additional saddle, though, for trails and such, it'll be an all-purpose model.

I really like my hydration pack, though. Except for the whole geting caught on the horn part.

The Moritz got prettied up and totally oiled and cleaned last year, and now, since I don't use it much, it's staying black, for the most part. It's definitely more black than faded green.

As a test, I bought a cheap knockoff version of the Camelbak to make sure I'd actually use the product before investing in a nicer version. So far, I like it a lot and stay hydrated much better with it.

I have a small problem with it - when I do long canter stretches, the right shoulder strap jumps around and rubs a sore in my neck that is reminisce of an out of hand teenage make out session (as my boss jokingly pointed out).

I think it's an issue of weight, as the left shoulder strap holds the hose, and the right strap has no weight. I have some ideas to test to fix this. It could be a bad fit for my back, or I could have some imbalances in how I carry my shoulders.

My main question is - is this a problem anyone has had with the "real" Camelbaks? Could the name-brand versions have better fitting shoulder straps?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but it's kinda related...