The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What are the oldest riding clothes you still use?

I have a pair of Harry Halls breeches (chocolate with rust knee patches) that are still going strong after 20 years!
    Stay me with coffee, comfort me with chocolate, for I am sick of love.

I wear full chaps that are 34 years old.

I have a couple of pairs of breeches (also Harry Halls) that are going on 10.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Well, I rode English yesterday and so donned some boots and breeches just for grins. Did not wear my old white pegged cotton breeches- which were not new when a friend gave them to me in 1985 or so- because they are buried a bit deep in that closet and I just grabbed the first pair I came to. But I did wear the brown field boots given to me by another friend about the same time- he'd found them in his late grandmother's attic when his family cleaned out her house. The lining says 'made in England for Abercrombie and Fitch,' and best he could figure, she probably obtained them around the 1920-21 time frame. So, I think it's safe to say they are 85 or so years old. Last time I had them re-heeled (and had some rotted stitching repaired)- the boot surgeon said don't bring them back, the leather won't hold the stitching any more- but so far so good!

My fringed and buckstitched western chaps, which I still wear frequently, I bought in 1969. Recently gave the 1967 vintage chaps to the barn owner, and have seen her daughter wearing them.

It's not riding clothes, per se, but I have an AC/DC T-shirt that I can now wear again. I ride in it all the time. I got it at a vintage shop in the 80's. That's old!

What an embarassing question.
    I don't fit in any of my old clothes, sad to say.
    Maybe some day again, who knows...

I have a pair of tall boots that i've had for over 9 years. I've already had to have the heels replaced! I wore them down so well!

A friend of mine still shows in a saddle seat suit that was made in 1976. The thing about buying quality clothes and caring for them and they will be stylish and last a lifetime is definatly true

I have a pair of Jodphurs my mother got at Lilly Whites in London before I was born. I would use them if I could fit her 23 inch waist! They are beautiful. I can wear her canary breeches from Saks with button up legs but love them so much I hate to put any more wear and tear on them.

I have some old TS's (knee patched replaced once per pair) that are at least 16 years old. My full chaps are aboit 18 years old. The end of the zippers have broken off when after the freshman 15 (lbs) I needed to use a hoof pick through the hole to zip them close. Fortunately, I now fit back into them.

I bought my dress boots in 1990. I do need new ones, but will probably wait until I am riding again regularly. Figure, they'll easily be 20 years old before I need new ones.

I still have a pair of rust breeches that I used to show in, oh gosh, the late 70's, early 80's... I can still get them on, but they are a tad tight-and made of all polyester, no less... I rode in them last year just for laughs, but man, they made me hot compared to the nice cotton blend breeches we can get now!

I gave a pair of calf-top riding boots to a good friend of mine that I had custom made at Swaine Adeney Briggs in Piccadily London in 1973 (won em' in a horse show...they've got good prizes over there). Sadly, my calves got too large to ride in them...great boots.

Today I rode in a pair of Elk chaps from 1983 I had made by "Jeff Straws Tack & Togs" in Lovettsville, VA...I don't think they're in business any more.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

I have a pair of Eurostar breeches that are about 20 years old and are still going strong. I also still occasionally ride in a pair of Vogels that were made in 1987. They have been resoled a couple of times and the leather is starting to crack but they still fit and are fine for schooling.

Breeches - 22 yrs and counting
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Pair of Dehner dress boots I bought in 1969! I have a pair of boot pulls that were given to me in 1959 that were not new then. Use them always.

Custom Vogel field boots that I got in 1989 and they are still going strong. I just wore them to a show yesterday .

My 19 year old TS breeches just died a couple of months ago .

I have a hacking jacket - bullet-proof tweed - that my father used to cub in. I've worn it to hounds a few times. The tailor's tag inside says it was completed December of 1935.
    I also regularly use a stock that was his that is at least 40 years old.

33 years - custom Vogel field boots made in 1976 - wore them at a show on Thursday.

30 year old Vogels (second hand when I bought them as a 13 year old).

30 year old full chaps. Rip in the knee but not worn out enough to replace.

Wow. They sure don't make stuff like that anymore.

I've had my tall boots since 1978. I've had gussets put in. Last year I had new soles put on, They feel like sneakers now. I still ride in my full chaps that I got in the late 70's also.